• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it just me or does Amaz Spidey seem to be going nowhere?

37 posts in this topic

It's not just you. I've been picking up both of these for the past few years (including when X-Statix was X-Force) and lately I've been wondering why. I'm seriously thinking about dropping both titles.

JMS is seriously overrated as a writer and, let's face it, JRJR flat-out SUCKS. The art on ASM is as bad as it has ever been. I've been picking up the title purely out of habit more than anything else...haven't even read the last few issues because the title has been so dreadfully bad for a while now.

Gene

Cant seem to figure out whats been going on with this series. Been kinda slow till issue 500. Same with X-statix. Was going on a roll now at a dead stop

X-Statix needs a major, major over-haul. There's nothing in here that ties this comic to Marvel Continuity. Also, the characters are being pretty much ignored in any of the other titles. Maybe that's a bigger problem right now with Marvel in general. There is little or not interaction between the titles anymore. I can't remember the last time they referenced a previous title/issue # to refer to when something in the story reffered to a something that happened a year or tow ago in another issue.

I always felt that was one of the things that made Marvel special in the Silver and Bronze Ages. Something that was written like a Babylon 5 story, instead of a Star Trek episode.

(Yeah, I know...I said it before) blush.gif

It's not just you. I've been picking up both of these for the past few years (including when X-Statix was X-Force) and lately I've been wondering why. I'm seriously thinking about dropping both titles.

JMS is seriously overrated as a writer and, let's face it, JRJR flat-out SUCKS. The art on ASM is as bad as it has ever been. I've been picking up the title purely out of habit more than anything else...haven't even read the last few issues because the title has been so dreadfully bad for a while now.

Gene

Aaaaamen. I said that about JMS last year and people were jumping my shizzle! I don't know what that means, but it wasn't very nice. ASM has sucked for a long, long time.

The same isn't quite true of X-Statix as it has only recently started TRULY sucking. But man, it is a real stinker now. The barely-coherent plots combined with the constantly recycled conflicts about "team leaders" and race issues and homosexuality just aren't cutting it any more.

Christ, why am I reading these books? mad.gif I'm far too [!@#%^&^] literate for this [!@#%^&^].

I agree about JMS's Spider-Man work...it is a bit overrated and while there were a few interesting issues, his style and pacing doesn't work for me overall. Can anyone tell me if his Supreme Power work is any better? I missed the first issue, so haven't bought any, but might pick up the trade paperback when it is published. The preview for #1 in Wizard was good, even though it was only a few pages.

I agree about JMS's Spider-Man work...it is a bit overrated and while there were a few interesting issues, his style and pacing doesn't work for me overall. Can anyone tell me if his Supreme Power work is any better? I missed the first issue, so haven't bought any, but might pick up the trade paperback when it is published. The preview for #1 in Wizard was good, even though it was only a few pages.

Don't bother. It's SO SLOW... even worse, it's slow and it's a superhero story that is now impossibly cliche. Of course, most comic readers either have some bizarre affinity for the cliche or they just can't recognize it, so you might enjoy it? wink.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Aaaaamen. I said that about JMS last year and people were jumping my shizzle! I don't know what that means, but it wasn't very nice. ASM has sucked for a long, long time.

I just sat down today and read the last 6 issues of ASM. #55-58 were just atrocious, some of the worst Spidey stories I've ever read. #500 was actually a pretty good issue, with the exception of what I will describe below. #501 was not a bad "human interest" Spidey story, but unfortunately it seems like every 4th issue falls into this category.

Anyway, here are some observations about the series:

1. JMS's dialogue is HORRIBLE. Go read some of the recent issues. EVERY character in EVERY panel is wisecracking. Really, go check it out. There is barely a SINGLE PANEL in ANY issue that doesn't have a cutesy wisecrack in it. Peter is making jokes left and right, Spidey's villains, Peter's students, Peter's administrative assistant, MJ...even Dr. Strange is talking more like a stand-up comedian than the Sorcerer Supreme. This is annoying and incredibly poor writing.

2. Along the same lines, almost every character is out of character. All the dialogue spoken seems to be coming from the mouth of JMS, not the character. Everyone from inner city high school girls to Aunt May speak in this wise, knowing, highly-educated sort of manner. Aunt May I'd say is completely unrecognizable from any previous incarnation in the Marvel Universe (she's essentially become the same Aunt May in the Ultimate Universe).

3. While Aunt May learning about Peter's identity made for a pretty good story back before JMS's run started to really suck, now it just feels wrong to see Aunt May talking constantly about how she worries about Peter and how Peter has to calm her down before he goes out to catch the bad guy. This was a poor decision on JMS's part, as it has really altered the dynamic of the book in a negative way.

4. The art. How can these 5th-grade level doodles in any way be considered "good"? If you don't believe me when I say that JRJR is potentially THE WORST ARTIST IN COMICS, go to ASM #55 (#496) and turn to the 7th story page and look at the picture of "Melissa" in the 2nd panel. OMFG. It's so poorly drawn that it's borderline racist. I have no artistic ability whatsoever, but I'm sorry, I KNOW even I can draw better than that. Look at the size of her head, her eyes, her lips. Where is her chin? Where is the detail? Her teeth are a solid white block!!

5. The Covers. This series must truly have the worst cover art of any series. They rarely have anything to do with the interior story and they all look the same - nondescript, unimaginative and otherwise boring.

I think I'm left with no choice but to drop ASM and wait for the new Marvel Knights Spidey series, which is supposedly getting closer to the basics.

Gene

I started buying again at #30 when he started. I like Ezekiel despite the fact that Romita JR makes him look like [!@#%^&^] along with everything else he draws. The concept that Spider-Man might be one of many spider-men is also somewhat interesting.

However, every other element of most of the other stories since #30 have been rather lame. I may drop the title.

4. The art. How can these 5th-grade level doodles in any way be considered "good"? If you don't believe me when I say that JRJR is potentially THE WORST ARTIST IN COMICS, go to ASM #55 (#496) and turn to the 7th story page and look at the picture of "Melissa in the 2nd panel". OMFG. It's so poorly drawn that it's borderline racist. I have no artistic ability whatsoever, but I'm sorry, I KNOW even I can draw better than that. Look at the size of her head, her eyes, her lips. Where is her chin? Where is the detail? Her teeth are a solid white block!!

Amen to that!!

On the Daredevil DVD, there's an interview with a lot of the more notable creators of Daredevil, such as Stan Lee, John Romita, Gene Colan, Frank Miller, Joe Quesada, Kevin Smith, and John Romita Jr. When they interviewed Romita Jr, he made reference to how there are some artists who take a long time to produce a small amount of art, and there are other artists who draw really fast so they can produce a larger amount of work to make more money at drawing. He put himself into the category of a fast artist.

sign-rantpost.gif I think he needs to slow down a little, because he SUCKS compared to his dad!!! I stopped liking Uncanny X-Men as much back in the late 1980s once he started drawing it.

At the Mid-Ohio Comicon, Alan Davis commented on how he felt the responsibility to keep up with the deadlines and if memory serves, his Excaliburs were always on time. In comparison to JRJR, amazing how good Davis's work is while never looking rushed.

I would drop Spectacular Spidey before I would even consider dropping Amazing Spidey. If you think JR Jr.'s art sucks, what do you think of the art in Spectacular Spidey?

Hey, no argument there. JRJR and Ramos are, as far as I'm concerned, far and away the two worst artists currently working on major titles.

Gene

i dropped asm 6 months ago & don't regret it one bit (i did get 500 though....) JMS is out of his game in superhero comics, they are cliche & trivial at best. I like JR2, its a unique style, but its been sloppy lately. He has done some nice work recently, especially his hulk issues, but this isn't him at his best. Some of my favorite comics of all time were his original run on asm & his original uncanny x run. Oh well, it doen't make much difference to me since i haven't really enjoyed asm since #289...