• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

:gossip: divad's selling his HG TOS Tomato Boxers!

128 posts in this topic

These are all OO books (unless noted otherwise). They are all in pristine 4mil Mylar Archives with buffered fullbacks. They have not been pressed, dry-cleaned, restored or manipulated in any way, shape or form. :)

Tales of Suspense #97

January 1968 (Iron Man vs. Whiplash Cover App)

NM 9.4 White Pages

OSPG = Irrelevant / Your Price = $125 - SOLD!

TOS97Aas.jpg

th_TOS97Aas.jpg th_TOS97Abs.jpg

These are all OO books (unless noted otherwise). They are all in pristine 4mil Mylar Archives with buffered fullbacks. They have not been pressed, dry-cleaned, restored or manipulated in any way, shape or form. :)

Tales of Suspense #96

December 1967 (Captain America Cover by Jack Kirby)

NM 9.4 White Pages

OSPG = Irrelevant / Your Price = $175 - SOLD! (via PM)

TOS96Aas.jpg

th_TOS96Aas.jpg th_TOS96Abs.jpg

What? No love for Colan's Shellhead? :o That's the Golden Avenger there, my friends (getting a whipping!) :cool:

Tales of Suspense #97

NM 9.4 White Pages

OSPG = Irrelevant / Your Price = $125 - SOLD!

TOS97Aas.jpg

th_TOS97Aas.jpg th_TOS97Abs.jpg

This one is not from my OO collection, but is included nonetheless for completeness. :)

Tales of Suspense #95

November 1967 (Iron Man vs. The Grey Gargoyle Cover App)

Another sweet IM cover by Gene Colan

VF- 7.5 Off-White Pages

OSPG (6.0/8.0) = $18/39 / Your Price = $25

TOS95Aas.jpg

th_TOS95Aas.jpg th_TOS95Abs.jpg

Tales of Suspense #94

October 1967 (Captain America Cover by Jack Kirby)

1st Appearance of Modok

NM- 9.2 Q (3/8" by 1/4" tape pull at Sharon's head) O/W to White Pages

Your Price = SOLD via PM

TOS94as.jpg

th_TOS94as.jpg th_TOS94bs.jpg

I'm very interested in some of the books, but could you explain the origin of this collection or at least point me to a specific thread? Thanks

Here you go . . .

Hey David... :hi:

Don't recall asking this of you before, and I'm sure it's common knowledge to many here, but what's a "Tomato-Boxer"? (shrug)

Inquiring minds gotsta know...

And and early HAPPY NEW YEAR!

T

Hey T,

"Tomato Boxer" is my eponymously self-named pedigree :grin: and refers to those books which I bought off the rack from approximately 1967+/- through 1978+/- when I was actively collecting as a young'un. I peaked at about the time Hulk 181 hit the shelves, my interest dwindling as the cover price rose to $.35 and they started putting bar codes on the FC. (Still, the dumbest idea ever. :sumo: )

The books were originally stored in poly-bags (post 1970) without backing boards, alternating L to R every 10 issues in stacks in California Tomato Boxes (the most durable box available at the time). Each box held about 75 - 80 books, and I believe I had about 11 or 12 boxes, in addition to one of those old steamer trunks packed the same way. In 1974-5, I was buying about 3-5 copies of each Marvel issue off the stands, virtually all of them from the drug store that I worked at. I had about 2,800+/- books by my count, although I never inventoried what I had, only what I needed.

The TB's stand out primarily as to PQ . . . "ultra-white" due to the fact that I didn't use any backing boards (which we all know now, was the worst thing you could do.) :grin: That, and being stored in a closet at my parent's split level in the Connecticut River Valley untouched for some 25 years (1977 - 2002) made for some ideal storage conditions. I decided to re-enter the hobby about that time after having them shipped to me in California. The first book I sold was one of my Hulk 181's which paid for furnishing my then two-year old daughter's new bedroom. My first mistake was not having that copy slabbed as it turned out to be a CGC graded 9.6 White copy (when they're weren't many of them around).

-d

Tales of Suspense #97

NM 9.4 White Pages

OSPG = Irrelevant / Your Price = $125

:takeit:

Tales of Suspense #97

NM 9.4 White Pages

OSPG = Irrelevant / Your Price = $125

:takeit:

Merci beaucoup, my friend. (thumbs u