• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sort of off topic question

23 posts in this topic

According to the latest issue of Wizard mag, which is what I had handy. One of the earliest non-sports card sets, was X-men series I. A full set of 100 cards in Mint condition is worth $20. Not very valuable.

I lucked out on some Wolverine card back when they were hot. I opened the pack in the shop and pulled it out. It was one of those hologram deals, but was very detailed like they scanned in a model or something to make it. The shop owner offered me $50 cash or $75 credit on the spot for it and said out of 12 boxes it was the first he had seen (guess he wanted it for himself).

I thought it was neat and kept it, but for the life of me can not find it. 893frustrated.gif However, I am sure it is not worth anything today.

Sigh...even I was caught up with buying these cards back in the day. I even bought those stupid Wizard special cards on a monthly basis! frown.gif893whatthe.gif893frustrated.gif

I was at a con in orlando back in the mid 90s and some insufficiently_thoughtful_person had jusko sign every freakin card from the set! I could not believe someone would try to do that but Jusko was very nice and I think he signed them all! I just had him sign the metal box thing. I can't really think of any card series that was better than that - I use to see the original paintings for sale every once in awhile. That's probably where the money is - in the original production artwork.

Shoulda taken the $75 in credit. grin.gif

No doubt..HAHA. grin.gif

He had one in his showcase that was made the same way, but it was Venom and Spiderman in battle. I offered his an even swap, but he wouldn’t take it.

I wasn’t a total insufficiently_thoughtful_person, though. I always opened the packs in the store and often lucked out on “special” cards. Except for that one time, I always tossed them over for $5-$10 credit.

I was at a con in orlando back in the mid 90s and some insufficiently_thoughtful_person had jusko sign every freakin card from the set! I could not believe someone would try to do that but Jusko was very nice and I think he signed them all! I just had him sign the metal box thing. I can't really think of any card series that was better than that - I use to see the original paintings for sale every once in awhile. That's probably where the money is - in the original production artwork.
Unfortunately, the price of the boxes became more and more expensive with each new series. After a while, I realized that it wasn't just worth it to buy the boxes anymore.

however...I think that since the Marvel cards were SO successful for a time, and certain chase cards were hard to come by, that in however many years it takes for those kids in the early 90s who LOVED them to grow up be in their 30s with th eso-called disposable income that fues their desire to re-purchase their childhood toys - - - that some of these carsd, boxes and sets will have a renaissance in value.....especially that first Masterpieces set....

remember the comics on the backs? They showed first cover appearances...think those 100 comics could all be CGCd and "Nic Caged" and sell for Stan Lee money???? ANyone here want to own one of the Masterpiece 100???

I bought 2 boxes of Masterpiece 1 wholesale, and still needed (need?) that Captain America/Red Skull insert card.

I then bought the base set of Fleer X-Men and my card collecting days came to an end.

If an overly cautious buyer like myself can get hooked into buying 2 boxes and a set, I can only imagine the hordes the general public got rooked into. 27_laughing.gif