• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Critique of a website.

10 posts in this topic

In another post my website was shamelessly brought up and then proceeded to get some minor errors and critque brought to my attention by board members. So my question is:

What is missing, can be done better or doesn't belong at the website, Lyria Comic Exchange?

Basically, my goal in one year is to have a pimp website that pumps out current market information that's timely and acurate for the gold, silver and bronze age and meets the expectations of the current board members. No matter how picky they may be 893frustrated.gif

Your articles, linked articles, and qualitative stuff looks good. thumbsup2.gif

Your pricing data...well...hmm...where does it come from? confused-smiley-013.gif

GPA data, comicsheet data, the actual sales prices in CBG - these are real world sales with real world prices with real world grades. There's no point in using anything other than OS for "raw" prices simply due to the variation in the accuracy of the seller's grading.

The first thing I would do is drop the faux stock market style tickers for books. That, to me, is embarrassing. If I felt like I needed to have my hobby validated by it becoming more like Wall St. I'd shoot myself in the head and be done with it.

Other than that, I'd work on getting some real data. Once you get real data, then you can figure out how to improve the rest of the site. To me, worrying about anything would be a waste of time.

Agreed, Dr.Banner... it would be nice to have some sort of method for reporting all eBay comic book sales, or at least all the ones over some minimum threshold ($5 ?)...but the inability of 99.5% of eBay sellers to grade accurately would render the results close to meaningless.

Still, it'd be interesting to see some sort of index of sales of raw books on eBay... maybe only tracking the 10 or 20 most reputable (and/or high volume) sellers? In other words, I'd still like to know how many raw copies of Daredevil #1 have been sold in the past month, and by whom, and for how much...maybe this info could be accompanied by a ballpark grade, provided by Whet, along with a link to the completed auction...?

As banner said tracking raw sales is difficult at best, because sales take place all over the country most of which are unmentioned in print.

Most collectors and dealers use the OS for determing the price of a book, so having an online database of raw prices is kinda useless.

GPA is a great tool, but it's just that a tool. It's up to each buyer if they are willing to pay the price for a book. So it's helpful to know all the information. some of the things that would be helpful for a sales tracking site would be to know :

• sales price of each grade for each issue.
  • notation for each grade (i.e. page quality,pedigree,type of label, etc.)
  • source of sale (heritage, ebay, yahoo.com, etc.)
  • ability to save searches (perhaps with membership)

Your articles, linked articles, and qualitative stuff looks good. thumbsup2.gif

Your pricing data...well...hmm...where does it come from? confused-smiley-013.gif

GPA data, comicsheet data, the actual sales prices in CBG - these are real world sales with real world prices with real world grades. There's no point in using anything other than OS for "raw" prices simply due to the variation in the accuracy of the seller's grading.

Good point. The prices originally came from pricing guides. But with the advent of cgc and online auctions I guess this idea is really old. I'll make some notes and figure out how to manually check prices through multiple online auctions in order to get the most acurate information. Rip_Van also gave me some good ideas on another post.

Do you find that reporting on just key issues and using them as market indicators to be self satisfactory?

Agreed, Dr.Banner... it would be nice to have some sort of method for reporting all eBay comic book sales, or at least all the ones over some minimum threshold ($5 ?)...but the inability of 99.5% of eBay sellers to grade accurately would render the results close to meaningless.

Still, it'd be interesting to see some sort of index of sales of raw books on eBay... maybe only tracking the 10 or 20 most reputable (and/or high volume) sellers? In other words, I'd still like to know how many raw copies of Daredevil #1 have been sold in the past month, and by whom, and for how much...maybe this info could be accompanied by a ballpark grade, provided by Whet, along with a link to the completed auction...?

That's very interesting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif *makes another mark in his notebook*