• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard Magazine

39 posts in this topic

i found comic book marketplace (now gone?) and alter ego more interesting reading-wise, though no focus on new books. i actually bought a graphic novel i would have never bought based on an interview with the artist (the enemy ace GN that is all painted art...)

So 1 in 10 variants generally are priced at 7.50 to 10 bucks in the market. I generally check ebay to see what variants are running for someone who wants it.

Are some of these 1 in 10s now finding themselves in dollar boxes a few years later? Just curious, I might not mind collecting those at the right price. Problem is, I have no idea what variant is what. I see a stack of "variant covers" in the discount box, for example, and on the rack, and it looks like there are as many variants (if not more) than regular covers, like the Thor #1 Zombie cover.

And what about the 1:100s..any of those now a buck or two bargain box fodder?

Yes they probably are. I have a lot of variants and thought about posting them here for cover plus shipping. I still had to buy them at my normal discount. I can't get them unless I order lots of another book though. I don't OVERORDER on the book to get the variant. I usually only order to sell the books except in one case and the customer knows it and picks up the difference because of it. His preference.

I actually have a box with VARIANTS on the front and I put the books in there. I don't get a lot of calls for them though. You can review variant covers for a series by going to a site like Lone Star Comics and look at the scans for a series of books.

Sometimes during the year, Diamond gives an incentive to get rid of a bunch of variants they have hanging around and retailers can order these at a decent price. Except for the 1/100 covers, and maybe the 1/75, the books seem to decrease in price from when they are shipped.

The only good thing about Wizard is Twisted Toyfare Theater.

That's not even there anymore. It has its own magazine now. It's astounding how Wizard has stayed in business, but I guess it's because they basically have a monopoly as none of the other contenders have carved out enough of a market niche.

Wizard is a very profitable magazine. I would like them to seriously posting prices that are real from maybe a culmination of price guides, and sales sites. Their magazine states that the "prices are equivalent to a CGC graded 9.4"

I have taken one CGC book that is similar that sold on Pedigree, Comiclink, Superworld, GPA analysis and averaged a 9.4 graded price. This particular book average was $200 bucks and Wizard had $17 bucks. doh! They need to take the price guide claim out since it is FALSE Advertising. They spend zilch time on researching the marketplace for prices.

They need to reinvest their profits into a sleuth of price guide staff to make this publication legtimate. The articles are fun but the price guide should be done right or taken out.

I am shocked the messiahs./leaders of our comic book world have not taken them for a walk and a nice chat.............................................

I try to view Wizard as more of an illustration of what people have actually paid for a particular book.

Its not 100% accurate because it only represents a small cross section of people.

Wizard is accurate in the sense that people exist who have paid those prices but its not necessarily true that the book is universally worth that much and therefore EVERYONE will pay that price.

If your LCS sells books for Wizard price and ultimately cant move the product then its their loss.

If they wont deal with you then Im 100% confident you will find someone on these boards as well as sales online that will meet your price.

I only read it in the bathroom, and the articles sometimes are pretty good.

As far as a price guide goes it's terrible, and ok for looking at the current hot books maybe.

Ebay to me is the price guide for the stupid a@@ variants.

it's funny you mention that, i was out of the office and stopped by a shop i go to now and then and there they were, he had given up and put the variants out at half the marked price. i still don't know what is what, but I'm going to assume that the variants that are now $2.50 after the discount are the 1:10 ones and the ones that are now $7.50 are maybe 1:50/75 ones and the ones that are now $12.50-$25.00 are the 1:100 or rarer ones.

I only read it in the bathroom, and the articles sometimes are pretty good.

As far as a price guide goes it's terrible, and ok for looking at the current hot books maybe.

Ebay to me is the price guide for the stupid a@@ variants.

I have to agree with that. (thumbs u

So as a whole, is wizard a bad magazine or company or whatever you want to call them? Because people don't seem to have a lot of great things to say about them, except it's good to laugh at. What about the comics on thier website? They look over priced to me also. But at the same time so does paying $700 for a Mordern 9.9.

At least they host some very cool cons! (thumbs u

So as a whole, is wizard a bad magazine or company or whatever you want to call them? Because people don't seem to have a lot of great things to say about them, except it's good to laugh at. What about the comics on thier website? They look over priced to me also. But at the same time so does paying $700 for a Mordern 9.9.

They aren't bad imo. Good articles but if we are talking about the pricing guide they reflect the high end on what people have paid for certain books. When comic shops use that pricing guide as a basis on what to charge people.. then yes it seems like the consensus on this board is they are bad.

Because you know... paying high $$$$ for books is bad hm

Wizard is a mixed bag. Occasionally, they have great articles, like the Ditko article about a year and a half ago. However, the price guide is shaky at best - although they (sadly) reflect changes faster and better than OS.

At least they host some very cool cons! (thumbs u

didn't they just cancel texas and LA?

Unfortunately...stupid economy! :(