• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard Magazine

39 posts in this topic

My comic book shop owner and I got in a debate about how useful the wizard price guide is. Whenever you try to buy a variant cover or a mordern "hot" comic. He will charge you the wizard price. But ounce the book goes down in value in wizard, he will not change the price. I just wanted to know if anyone else thinks that the wizard price guide was bogus.

My comic book shop owner and I got in a debate about how useful the wizard price guide is. Whenever you try to buy a variant cover or a mordern "hot" comic. He will charge you the wizard price. But ounce the book goes down in value in wizard, he will not change the price. I just wanted to know if anyone else thinks that the wizard price guide was bogus.
He's high. Literally and figuratively.

Whenever you try to buy a variant cover or a mordern "hot" comic. He will charge you the wizard price.

Think its time to go to another lcs

he sounds like a few comic shop owners I know - certainly not the place I would spend my hard earned

He (and many others) are the reason you don't see a lot of longevity out of the LCS. There are exceptions, ahem, mile high(which isn't a LCS)... but your sub customers are not stupid to the industry and the volatility of prices and eventually the majority of his customers will be savy to his greedy ways.

All price guides are somewhat bogus. They are guides, not price lists.

Some dealers will use all kinds of different things to tweak prices and still somehow not figure a logic to it. If this is a dealer who is simply trying to squeeze every nickel he can out of his customers, he has his priorities wrong. Perhaps you need to find another vendor.

I always liked Wizard mag...decent articles and artwork. Never really paid attention to the PG...other than a thumb through for a laugh..

I have no idea why people really buy Wizard anymore except to have something to read in the bathroom.

The price guide is 2-3 months behind usually. The information in the mag. is also late and 90% of the time is available on the web somewhere like newsarama or comicbookresources. I guess the unique interviews and perhaps the general knowledge handy in paper form is what keeps them in business I would say.

As far as the variants go, generally a 1:100 variant sells for 75-100 when it comes out (basically .75 to 1.00 per regular copy that had to be bought to get the variant). So 1 in 10 variants generally are priced at 7.50 to 10 bucks in the market. I generally check ebay to see what variants are running for someone who wants it.

I rarely change prices on stuff I have already priced and put out because of the time involved. If someone comes in and asks for a reduction, I will generally check OSPG and wizard and see (maybe the net too). Usually its not a hot book they want so I have no problem adjusting the price. Course thats at my discretion. If you come in acting like a SPOON then thats probably how you will be treated.

If your LCS owner won't budge on price, thats his prerogative. People usually tell me , well its $ 3 on ebay. I say how much is shipping? and I can usually work it out to both or advantage.

it's very simple...most of these variants should be readily available on ebay, often with Buy it Nows. If you can get it on ebay + the cost of shipping for more than a couple of bucks less than the shop (or a buck or whatver for the cheaper variants), then wizard and he are out of whack. if condition is super dooper important to you (like you plan on slabbing it), then I can see the value of spending a couple of extra bucks at the shop with the book in hand to examine it. otherwise, chances are, someone selling variants on ebay can probably pack ok, the book is brand new and you're probably getting a 9.4ish copy if advertised and pictured as such. probably.

with that said, if your LCS owner is not a do*che, paying a modest premium over the hassles and unknowns of ebay should not be a problem. they are nice things to have around if they're well run.

So 1 in 10 variants generally are priced at 7.50 to 10 bucks in the market. I generally check ebay to see what variants are running for someone who wants it.

Are some of these 1 in 10s now finding themselves in dollar boxes a few years later? Just curious, I might not mind collecting those at the right price. Problem is, I have no idea what variant is what. I see a stack of "variant covers" in the discount box, for example, and on the rack, and it looks like there are as many variants (if not more) than regular covers, like the Thor #1 Zombie cover.

And what about the 1:100s..any of those now a buck or two bargain box fodder?