• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clink Jan 2009 Auction

73 posts in this topic

Beef, you mean the great deal you got on the 57 9.6 that was mentioned in this thread?

How would you classify your reputation on that purchase?

You mean about the fact that I disclosed that I was buying the book solely for flipping before I bought it (as I always do), then paid the agreed price and then sold it on a public sight?

I fail to see where I sacrificed my reputation.

that's public "site"... i think this is a matter between you and the seller, not food for the public forum. I think the original seller made his peace with it -- though I'm not sure it's as cut and dry as you think. Either way, the thread is getting derailed unnecessarily about something that's a matter between you and he (at least to me).

Honestly, I said awhile back what I thought about this -- if you and he are cool with it, I'm not sure we ought to criticize now.

That is exactly my point Brian.

Nik and I had a private deal and it was suppposed to be between us.

Since I have nothing dishonest to hide I will gladly paste the PM's over here if that is what's needed.

What I don't understand is why people

a) need to know what happens in private between two grown men.

b) why they need to flog someone else's dead horse

c) why they can't mind their own business.

d) if they can't mind their own business why they can't just get it from the horse's mouth before spouting off?

All I see is someone that comes across as either jealous that they didn't scoop it even though it was for sale in a public site OR someone who is trying to save face because they commented on a public site that they were one and the same book and now has been proven wrong that they are not OR trying to justify how he just can't wrap his mind around the fact that someone paid "stupid" money for a comic.

Either way I don't care...I really don't...and my attack was not aimed at Bob even though he obviously took it that way. Just don't try to blacken my name unless I've actually done something wrong and you have facts to back it up. Otherwise you will not get any where.

Bob, I've defended you through thick and thin and have said nothing but positive things about you (heck, do a search I've started threads praising you) .

Next time get the whole story before you decide to color someone's rep.

(thumbs u

Roy --

Even if you had the whole story, which I do, I still think there's shades of gray that you're not seeing. It's not jealousy, it's not anything -- I know that's what you think it is, but it isn't... for almost everyone I know who has heard the story. BUT -- I agree with you in that it's between you and he -- my opinion only affects my outlook insofar as the actions I would take in any dealings... it really doesn't matter what went down with you and Nik. To me, it's a dead issue though. It happened, and whether I like it or anyone else likes it, you have to deal with it, and apparently the parties have made their peace.

Hey, I didn't start with this Schit but I will definately finish it.

I didn't start this by making my private dealings public but if someone wants to do so I will make sure that I'm not misrepresented.

Maybe mr. Storms would feel better if he knew that I have left money on the table just as other people have.

Sold an X-men #24 as a raw 9.4, came back as a 9.6

Sold a Batman #232 as a raw 9.2/9.4, came back as a 9.6

Sold an FF #1 CGC 8.0 for a friend, came back as an 8.5 in another holder. Yes, you read that correctly.

Did I go after anyone cause I left money on the table. No.

Did I bad talk anyone? No.

Did I scream in my pillow a little? Maybe a bit.

The buyers are all still considered friends so I say who the :censored: cares. It's only my business and theirs. Nobody elses. I still like the buyers, deal with them regularly and hang with them when I can.

Too bad people can't keep things from getting personal.

R.

Roy,

There is no "finishing it". People have already formed their opinions about the situation and that is the ultimate finish. You continue to cite examples of where people made money off of you -- the same has happened to me -- and no, I don't care either. It isn't about just the money.

This isn't the beginning and end of what happened. Nobody thinks it sucks because you bought a book and flipped it. Nobody (or at least nobody I know).

There's no point in my continuing this... similar to what we had in our PM exchange, I realized that you have your view point on the situation and I have mine. Others have formed their opinions. But in terms of public viewing, I will say that if there's a peace reached between the parties, I don't see anything productive in discussing it further.

I know you have your righteous indignation that you did nothing wrong and if you feel that way, then so be it.

Brian I was not citing those examples for you. They were for Bob.

I don't know why now you feel the need to drag this out with me in public.

Please then do not continue it as you continue to have the last word about something that has nothing to do with you.

No offense but this is ridiculous.

R.

The tough part of the Avengers #57 in 9.6 is that it has gone from being a rare book in that grade to becoming common, all the while going ballistic in price. There are now 14 9.6 graded copies in the census when last year there were maybe 5. I think it presses well.

Bummer about the hideous smudged date stamp on the 9.8 copy. I wonder if that will affect the final price.

Probably not.

It's probably the same 9.6 that was pressed into a 9.8.

Why would anybody pay $7K for a 9.6 (30X guide) unless they were sure it would get a 9.8?

Inquiring minds want to know because frankly it makes no sense.

Boy, I wish there were archival scans of these great books selling in Comiclink auctions. Wouldn't it be amazing to see so many 9.2's turning into 9.4's, 9.4's turning into 9.6's and 9.6's turning into 9.8's. And of course they are all consignor books lol. I'd almost say that Comiclink has taken Heritage's business model to the next level except that with Heritage you could actually see the game.

But solely from scans, how would you know it would get a 9.8 once pressed?

It's a hell of a risk to take. Unless... hm

I guess anything is possible but I know that 9.6 book real well.

But how would you get to know a book real well if it's in an auction (shrug)

Because he's the one that had it slabbed to begin with, Mr. Answer Man.

Well, the new Avengers #57 9.8 is obviously not the same book as the one that just sold for $7000+ so I guess we can put that conspiracy to rest. Love the date stamp or hate it this is one killer book.

Link.

I guess it's a sign of how lame the current auction is that most of the discussion and focus seems to be on what is in the previews for the next auction. :P