• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Type of Grade/Holder should Trimmed Books Receive?

CGC Holder/Grade for Trimmed Books  

192 members have voted

1. 1. CGC Holder/Grade for Trimmed Books

38 posts in this topic

The worst trim I ever had was outstanding lol

Seriously, its no different with clipped coupons from a book. No matter how pretty or shiny it is, I lean towards the No Grade holder, since technically, they are ruined. But not in the Universal Blue holder.

They're not called PLOD's for nothing (thumbs u

Though there should be some distinguishment between worthwhile preservation efforts, and 'lets make it look good to get a quick buck' trim/colour touch jobs.

As restoration work does not involve trimming in any respect. There is key differences between what is trying to be acheived, and of course the sentiment of the work.

A trimmed book is not an 'improved book', or conserved. Just altered (damaged, converted, etc) to appear in better conditon.

There is a strong case for a distinction from CGC labelling.

The Purple works fine. Before purchasing any purple label buyers can see exactly what has been done to the book. For those who would rather destroy a book that has been trimmed than own one, they can pass.

As for the grade, the book should grade the way it appears and the market can adjust the price accordingly.

I guess that's pretty much status quo.

Though there should be some distinguishment between worthwhile preservation efforts, and 'lets make it look good to get a quick buck' trim/colour touch jobs.

As restoration work does not involve trimming in any respect. There is key differences between what is trying to be acheived, and of course the sentiment of the work.

A trimmed book is not an 'improved book', or conserved. Just altered (damaged, converted, etc) to appear in better conditon.

CGC does does add the word"TRIMMED" in all caps to thePurple label currently.

I agree that trimming should not be associated with legitinate restoration/conservation which is why I voted for the GLOD. The purpose of the GLOD is for books that look like a certain but have a significant defect that is not readily apparent. For example a Hulk 181 that looks like a 9.0 but has the Value Stamp clipped would received a Qualified 9.0 with notation about the missing stamp. To me it seems like a trimmed book has exactly the type of defect for which the GLOD was created.

Depends on CGC's grading standards.

If CGC declares that trimming isn't restoration its a defect.

As such micro-trimmed books should go in a Green label.

Well it could be a question of proliferation from CGC's perspective... not to many label options.

Less confusion for novices to the medium, and less dilution of the 'brand' product.

So they could agree whole healtedly that trim jobs are not restoration, but included in PLOD's labelling for reasons of 'lets just put them with them, under that label' :insane:

But admittedly it would be worthwhile for them explore a fully dedicated pure prestoration label, as the prized restored GA market is fairly sizable to begin with.

CGC does does add the word"TRIMMED" in all caps to thePurple label currently.

I agree that trimming should not be associated with legitinate restoration/conservation which is why I voted for the GLOD. The purpose of the GLOD is for books that look like a certain but have a significant defect that is not readily apparent. For example a Hulk 181 that looks like a 9.0 but has the Value Stamp clipped would received a Qualified 9.0 with notation about the missing stamp. To me it seems like a trimmed book has exactly the type of defect for which the GLOD was created.

I think the main distinction is that a clipped coupon was not clipped to improve the books appearance, whereas a trimmed book was. It was done to deceive. As I see it the Qualified label is reserved for books that should not be unfairly punished for a single major flaw.(which I never have liked) Compared to putting trimmed books in a PLOD, which I imagine was the worst thing CGC could think to do.

Like I said last night, I would prefer to see a whole seperate label color for trimmed books that better fits what a trimmed book is, or rather isn't. While not likely to happen now, but I think if this was implemented early on it would not have been an issue. People are smart enough to figure out a few more colored labels if they really are in the market to buy slabbed books.

And btw, where is my "other" option!!..I can't vote.. :(

I'm not sure I like the the idea of CGC trying to read intent or "punishing" a book. I would prefer that they stick to communicating to a potential buyer all of the relevent information posssible about a book in the most consistent way they can without making any subjective judgement about how the book came to be in its present state.

I would like to get away from the idea that a purple lable is "punishment" as that impies that legitimate restoration is a bad thing.

I'm not sure I like the the idea of CGC trying to read intent or "punishing" a book. I would prefer that they stick to communicating to a potential buyer all of the relevent information posssible about a book in the most consistent way they can without making any subjective judgement about how the book came to be in its present state.

I would like to get away from the idea that a purple lable is "punishment" as that impies that legitimate restoration is a bad thing.

You are preaching to the choir brother, and I of course was kidding about CGC "punishing" trimmed books by putting them in the dastardly purple label. CGC did not create the purple label with the intent of punishing restored books. As we all know it was peoples reaction to finding out that many of their books were restored and their knee jerk reaction that created the phrase PLOD.

My point was more CGC seemed to not want to qualify trimming as a defect and the closest thing they had was putting it in a restored label with nothing but "trimmed" on it.

And btw, where is my "other" option!!..I can't vote.. :(

There's always crack. (shrug)

But I don't want to light my crack pipe with a trimmed comic, It's not the comics fault it was trimmed!

:P

You are preaching to the choir brother, and I of course was kidding about CGC "punishing" trimmed books by putting them in the dastardly purple label. CGC did not create the purple label with the intent of punishing restored books. As we all know it was peoples reaction to finding out that many of their books were restored and their knee jerk reaction that created the phrase PLOD.

My point was more CGC seemed to not want to qualify trimming as a defect and the closest thing they had was putting it in a restored label with nothing but "trimmed" on it.

It is kind of a gray area especially as trimming was seen at one time, at least by some, as a acceptable restoration tactic.

And I figured I was preaching to the choir on the purple label issue. :)

Ya, know I was a big proponent of the varying label color scheme when I first found out about CGC but after a few years and listening to all the bickering and differing opinions, I think it might be better if we did a way with the colors. Instead of having four or five different colors, pick one and stick with it. If any work has been detected, indicate such on the label CLEARLY. Who cares if trimming is restoration or destruction? No ones likes it. Simply mark the label "TRIMMED". Let the buyer judge whether or not it has been restored or destroyed.

I have argued for a long time that a trimmed book should in no way be in a purple label, as the book isn't restored. Trimming a book is the equivalent of cutting a coupon out.

Ya, know I was a big proponent of the varying label color scheme when I first found out about CGC but after a few years and listening to all the bickering and differing opinions, I think it might be better if we did a way with the colors. Instead of having four or five different colors, pick one and stick with it. If any work has been detected, indicate such on the label CLEARLY. Who cares if trimming is restoration or destruction? No ones likes it. Simply mark the label "TRIMMED". Let the buyer judge whether or not it has been restored or destroyed.

I agree. The unintended consequence of the purple label is that it connotates a value judgement to many. CGC's goal should be to deliver an objective report of grade and restoration techniques, plain and simple.

"Destruction" is a loaded term that CGC should avoid. The trimming was done to make the book look better, so on a high level it is a form of restoration. Let the buyers decide where they want to place trimming on the scale of restorative techniques.

I have argued for a long time that a trimmed book should in no way be in a purple label, as the book isn't restored. Trimming a book is the equivalent of cutting a coupon out.

When I have a book with a coupon cut out, I grade that book 0.5. I would do the same with trimmed books.

I voted for Purple because someone did try to restore these books, making them appear nicer than they really are.

Andy