• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peanuts Sunday on ebay

12 posts in this topic

Does anyone remember seeing a Peanuts Sunday on ebay recently that had Charlie Brown going to the mailbox on Valentine's Day. I tried the search functions on ebay but nothing is popping up. Didn't know if the seller pulled the auction or not. Any help would be appreciated

Stephen

Dan

I was equally surprised when I saw the final price this morning. Reason I ask is my friend has a daily with the exact same theme (CB going to mailbox on Valentine's Day). His is from 1973. Question I have is what is it worth?

S

Well, as you know, in large part it's about the gag and the specific visuals... so would have to see it. And..... 1973 is a far cry from 1992 in the Peanuts world. Maybe these are going to cool off a little though; I have no basis for saying that but I woulda thought there was someone out there who would want a large Sunday Valentine for at least 20k?? Maybe with sooooo much material out there that comes up for sale on a regular basis, folks are finally waiting for their 'perfect' examples. (?) DF

Dan

I was equally surprised when I saw the final price this morning. Reason I ask is my friend has a daily with the exact same theme (CB going to mailbox on Valentine's Day). His is from 1973. Question I have is what is it worth?

S

That is easy !

US $16,765.00 + $25 shipping.

how have other valentine strips fared? Maybe I'm just being simplistic but I don't know how many dudes would have soft spots for valentine's art. Its not the first theme I would chase down.

To be honest, I`m surprised that such a recent strip went for as much as it did. Schulz was pretty much mailing it in by that point, and had been for a while (understandably so). If you multiply that valuation by 52 Sundays per year, that means even a year`s worth of Sundays during his later period would be worth about $900K.

I don`t know about the Peanuts OA collectors, but a lot of Peanuts fans roughly separate his work into pre- and post-Peppermint Pattie eras and don`t think very highly of the latter. In fact, it`s amusing how many of them genuinely loathe PP.

how have other valentine strips fared? Maybe I'm just being simplistic but I don't know how many dudes would have soft spots for valentine's art. Its not the first theme I would chase down.

I would bet many buyers for Peanuts are with the or for the approval of the wife.

On top of all that a Valentine's day theme makes for a great Valentine's day gift that the typical silver age Hulk splash page just doesn't offer.

It really is a win win. You get to buy OA and somehow get to explain it as "well it is for you honey!" and truth be told she will most likely think the world of you for doing it. win win all the way around and if you bought it just to flip that is your sales pitch.

I haven't been here long but long enough to think Spider knows what he is doing. I think this was a great buy.

Sure spider does know what he's doing and really at the price you can't argue compared to other peanuts prices. Its a very nice piece if perhaps not to my personal taste. Spider, did you buy it? I didn't pick up on that until now.