• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman #251 9.8

83 posts in this topic

I'm not saying that every HG book is pressed either, just pointing out that if a hobby allows the seeds of doubt to be sown, then, not surprisingly, there will be doubts.

Well said...

Jim

Basically, unless you have submitted the book yourself then assume everything has been pressed.

And be willing to pay a big premium for a book that is certified as being unpressed.

Possibly, but doesn't that already happen with Clink auctions that can be pressed to a higher grade already. (shrug)

Only if the bidder knows that the book can be potentially upgraded AND if they are looking to do that for themselves. That narrows it down a lot.

True enough, but there must be enough people in the know to explain some of those "outlier" prices being paid on the books since you need at least two bidders to tango that high on some items.

...and that brings us round back to the start.

When the Rocky Mountain books began to show up and command these insane prices everyone argued that they were being bought to crack, press resub and flip.

I argued that it was not so. I was laughed at because everybody reasoned that no sane collector would pay these prices for books.

Who were all these buyers go to crack and resub these 9.8 priced 9.6 books to?

Well it's been a year and then some and I have not yet seen these 100's of cracked and resubbed books show up on the market. Sure a few here and a few there...but not the majority.

Why?

I believe because most of the books are being bought by collectors.

Why is that hard to believe?

Because the prices are outrageous?

Wouldn't it seem more likely that a collector is paying these astronomical prices than someone with a business sense who will buy these books only to break even or lose?

Think about it.

I'm not saying that every HG book is pressed either, just pointing out that if a hobby allows the seeds of doubt to be sown, then, not surprisingly, there will be doubts.

Well said...

Jim

Basically, unless you have submitted the book yourself then assume everything has been pressed.

And be willing to pay a big premium for a book that is certified as being unpressed.

Possibly, but doesn't that already happen with Clink auctions that can be pressed to a higher grade already. (shrug)

Only if the bidder knows that the book can be potentially upgraded AND if they are looking to do that for themselves. That narrows it down a lot.

True enough, but there must be enough people in the know to explain some of those "outlier" prices being paid on the books since you need at least two bidders to tango that high on some items.

...and that brings us round back to the start.

When the Rocky Mountain books began to show up and command these insane prices everyone argued that they were being bought to crack, press resub and flip.

I argued that it was not so. I was laughed at because everybody reasoned that no sane collector would pay these prices for books.

Who were all these buyers go to crack and resub these 9.8 priced 9.6 books to?

Well it's been a year and then some and I have not yet seen these 100's of cracked and resubbed books show up on the market. Sure a few here and a few there...but not the majority.

Why?

I believe because most of the books are being bought by collectors.

Why is that hard to believe?

Because the prices are outrageous?

Wouldn't it seem more likely that a collector is paying these astronomical prices than someone with a business sense who will buy these books only to break even or lose?

Think about it.

Good point on the RMs, but I was not pointing to them. I was commenting on the one off books that seem to go for outrageous prices compared to previous (and a month later, subsquent) copies in the same grade.