• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2nd Annual Banner's Birthday contest

19 posts in this topic

First, belated b-day to araich (12/4) and Scottish (12/5)!!

To celebrate my b-day ( acclaim.gif), I'm holding the 2nd Annual Banner's Birthday contest, and you're invited to play! Some of you may recall last year's guess-my-age quiz and the the picture of me as a bowl-headed youth given as a hint, but this time I've upped the ante with a series of questions and a "sweet, sweet" prize. Most correct answers wins, PM me with your answers, and see below for the tie-breaker and prize. You have until 6 PM EST Sunday to get your answers in (one entry per person, all answers must be submitted together!).

1) My favorite superhero - what comic book is this picture from?

hulkcon1.jpg

2) Jellybean Jar - how many comic book boxes do I currently have (hint: I have long, short, magazine, and CGC boxes)?

3 and 4) "Get ta know me (part I)!" This cat is playing my guitar (in the generic sense) - who is he, and what kind of guitar is it?

guitar.jpg

5) "Get ta know me (part II)!" (tiebreaker - in the event of a tie, 1st one to get this correct wins) In '84 I drove up to NC to visit my brother who was in the 82nd Airborne and we went surfing at Cape Hatteras. That's me on the left, who's on the right?

surf.jpg

To quote Jeff Probst "Wanna know what you're playing for?" NM copies of the first 3 issues of Doorway to Nightmare, all with covers by Mike Kaluta...here's one:

doorway3.jpg

Good luck!

Happy birthday drbanner!

But...damn! those are hard questions. Note to Gemma-- we'd just as soon not have drbanner pick the next round of Comicquest. gossip.gif

I know you said PM, but I'm so sure I'll win, I'm just going to post here instead:

1) My favorite superhero - what comic book is this picture from?

hulkcon1.jpg

Gotta be Hulk 181. crazy.gif

2) Jellybean Jar - how many comic book boxes do I currently have (hint: I have long, short, magazine, and CGC boxes)?

Trick question. The correct answer is None. It is well known around here that drbanner stores his books in vintage brown paper shopping bags from Piggly Wiggly.

3 and 4) "Get ta know me (part I)!" This cat is playing my guitar (in the generic sense) - who is he, and what kind of guitar is it?

guitar.jpg

That would be Daniel Dupcek playing a completely UNRESTORED Fender Stratocaster, originally owned by Robert Johnston.

5) "Get ta know me (part II)!" (tiebreaker - in the event of a tie, 1st one to get this correct wins) In '84 I drove up to NC to visit my brother who was in the 82nd Airborne and we went surfing at Cape Hatteras. That's me on the left, who's on the right?

surf.jpg

Hmmm... a well-known forum member was I believe at Wake Forest about then... so it's gotta be Flying Donut.

Good luck!

How'd I do? acclaim.gif

Congrats to Scottish as the winner (by fault) of the contest, and yes, we're pulling you back in! The answers:

1) Hulk 168

2) 23

3 and 4) Les Paul and Les Paul

5) Tom Carroll - at the time he was the defending world surfing champion, only to lose his title the following year after boycotting the professional tour to protest apartheid in South Africa (which has some of the best waves in the world). The waves were good, I was out there with maybe a dozen others surfing with the world champion at the premiere surfing location on the East Coast. A true Spicoli moment - it really was "Awesome dude!"! thumbsup2.gif

Note: the record will show that Clobberin' actually got questions 1 and 3 correct, but unfortunately his reading comprehension and football prognostication skills are highly suspect (UGA grad, whatcha expect!?!?) and he was DQ'd.

Woo! Hoo! thumbsup2.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Woo hoo for me! I'm sure you'll include those books the next time you have a purge of your collection! tongue.gif

Don't hold your breath buddy! smirk.gif The shipping logistics alone, caused me untold irritation last time. mad.gif

Don't hold your breath buddy! smirk.gif The shipping logistics alone, caused me untold irritation last time. mad.gif

yeah but it was kinda exciting wasn't it flowerred.gif

BTW I seem to remember you misplacing a book (Iron Fist ?) and couldn't find it when you had to ship it to the buyer. You thought you had sent it to someone else by mistake ( foreheadslap.gif)...Did it ever turn up ?

That was Iron Fist 14. I've never heard from anyone that they had it in their shipment. That's another reason I'm not too anxious to start a huge selling spree again. I'm usually pretty organized, but failed miserably at that time. frown.gif

I won't be selling any comics (in bunches) for a long time...maybe retirement when I can sell my X-Men run. grin.gif

good b-day present eh banner? your beloved gators are ranked #1 as of today in college hoops.

Yeah baby! We've been #1 once before - last year, and proceeded to lose within 24 hours of achieving the lofty goal. We should last longer this time as we don't play until wednesday, against Chrisco's 'beloved Terrapins! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif