• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta???? You decide

86 posts in this topic

The legs seem all wrong too. Look at the difference in the shape of the leg coming forward and the foot. On the forgery they seemed to have cross hatched the back leg almost completely away.

DRX

Well Frank Jr called me and we had a discussion. This is a summary of our call.

1) The seller is selling these pieces through Frank, Jr. Frank, Jr does not own any of these pieces

2) The seller acquired these pieces directly from Ellie during the Museum opening eight years ago.

3) These pieces are all "vintage," i.e. done at Frank's prime, not after suffering the strokes during the 1990s.

4) When I told him that many people, including myself, feel that these were not done by Frank, I was told that is impossible and the pieces are classic Frazetta.

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I, myself, am not inclined to purchase any of these pieces. Many of you know that I love Frank's preliminary work and own or have owned over a dozen of these tiny little gems. I wouldn't touch these with a ten foot pole.

I can't believe Frank Jr can't spring for at least a cheap $50 digital camera.

I would have never in my wildest dreams believed that these auctions were legit.

Let me get this straight... you are claiming that Frank Jr. is forging his father's work or are you claiming that Frank Jr. is being duped by someone else bringing back work to sell through them that Frazetta didn't do?

So do you think it is possible someone bought the roughs redid them and then offered the fakes with the original reciepts back to Jr?

Seems like a bold move and you have to wonder how something like that could happen.

Did they keep photographs of all pieces that were sold. Perhaps they should compare it to the photos on file.

I have seen the STACKS of sketches they still have from Frank. Some better than others. Be careful before you start spouting off that Jr is forging anything. Knowing Jr, I don't believe it for a second. They are called prelims for a reason. They are ROUGH versions.

Brian

I am not for a second stating that Frank, Jr. is forging these items. I am saying that these items currently up for sale look NOTHING like the work produced by Frank, Sr. Anyone who has collected this material for any period of time will tell you the same thing. Is it suprising then, that the last item, the prelim to Darkness Weaves, has not sold. That is an iconic painting. I know a half dozen collectors who would have punched that BIN in a second if they truly believed that to be done by Frank's hands. When a smaller, less finished pen and ink gets hammered down on ebay for $2000-3000, this should be a bargain in comparison. I too have seen STACKS of drawings at the Frazetta's. I've gone through Frank's studio with him by my side looking at his art. This looks NOTHING like the artwork produced by the living legend.

Stephen