• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta???? You decide

86 posts in this topic

Here is an update for folks. Check out the final paragraph:

Link

The thing about it is if Frank said it's as phoney as a $2 bill, it might be real, as $2 bills aren't phoney. Maybe he meant to say $3 dollar bills?....(just being funny...)

In speaking with Frank Jr today on an unrelated topic, he mentioned this. He said he showed the art in question to his father and Frank Sr. confirmed that he did it. Really shouldn't be any question beyond that.

Brian,

Chainnball@aol.com

Authorized CGC Signature Series Witness

So the piece that started this thread is different from the piece that is mentioned in the last paragraph of the Frank Frazetta News write up from Frank Jr.? The situations, if I recall correctly, sound very similar to each other.

Clearly, the pieces are forgeries and Frank Sr. confirmed this...Frank Jr just said on his blog that "...In a split second, he (Frank Sr) responded, that’s as phony as a $2 bill..."

So, it wasn't after 'further evaluation'!!

I am glad that this has been cleared up, but it is somewhat disturbing that Frank Jr. isn't more adept at identifying his father's work. It really shakes one's confidence in his ability to properly authenticate a Frazetta original, and makes you wonder about pieces that he has sold in the past. Perhaps this is part of the "aftermath" that he refers to in his blog.

One would assume that of all people, Frank Jr. should be able to spot an obvious fake. I'm sorry, but the piece in question is so blatantly dubious that it boggles the mind as to why Frank Jr. didn't immediately become suspicious of it. I suppose that the sales slip signed by Ellie might have caused him to not examine the piece with as much scrutiny as usual.

Obviously Frank Jr. has learned much from this experience and will surely handle things differently in the future.

Another way to look at it is who will be authenticating Frazetta artwork when the Living Legend is no longer with us?

Would have to be Ellie no?

Sounds like you are better off going to the well known collectors than to jr. Either he just doesn't have the eye for it or he was part of it. Either way after this episode his opinion on such matters will always be questioned by collectors.

Clearly, the pieces are forgeries and Frank Sr. confirmed this...Frank Jr just said on his blog that "...In a split second, he (Frank Sr) responded, that’s as phony as a $2 bill..."

Dude...I spoke to Jr on the phone at the time. I can only tell you what he told me.

I know he was fooled because the seller had the recipts from the sale at the museum. He said he never takes on consignments, and any art he has sold of his fathers was from the family. I also know he will never try to help someone again because he is very embarrased by the situation.

it is also very unfair to say he was 'in on it". If you know Frank Jr. you know that would NEVER be the case...some people are so quick to jump to conclusions...

great thread. props to you guys for eyeing this fraud. that was quite the clever scam to pull. makes me wonder how many other people have been dupped when buying original art. wherever profit is to be made there will be scammers. glad there are some honest people out there to help stop this kind of .

"...some people are so quick to jump to conclusions..."

Be careful what you say Brian-- YOU jumped to conclusions first saying that the art was real, NOT US-- we collectors were right, the art IS fake. We who LOVE Frazetta knew right away. The ART doesn't LIE brother.

And if WE could tell these were fake IN ONE SECOND, what's up with Frank Jr (and you?) being so easily fooled with so many pieces? The forgeries aren't even CLOSE baby!

Another way to look at it is who will be authenticating Frazetta artwork when the Living Legend is no longer with us?

I'd say go to one of the several known Frazetta collectors, or more than one, if there is a question...the guys with the bigger Frazetta collections on CAF will be happy to do it I'd wager.

Dude...I spoke to Jr on the phone at the time. I can only tell you what he told me.

I know he was fooled because the seller had the recipts from the sale at the museum. He said he never takes on consignments, and any art he has sold of his fathers was from the family. I also know he will never try to help someone again because he is very embarrased by the situation.

it is also very unfair to say he was 'in on it". If you know Frank Jr. you know that would NEVER be the case...some people are so quick to jump to conclusions...

So that would be criminal fraud no? Somone will have to be facing charges? I guess we will get the details from the police/court report.