• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What comics took the most number of years to become MAJOR key issues?

106 posts in this topic

ASM 5 & 28 are definite KEYS. :makepoint: ask any dealer. :gossip:

ASM #28 is not a "key" per say. PP graduating HS and the Molten Man origin are not earth shattering events in the world of Spidey. It has high value because of a very cool black cover that is hard to find in higher grades.

And ASM 5 is an even worse example pimpy. There is absolutely nothing key about that book. Dr Doom's what, fifth or so appearance? Give me a break

the first time spidey took a dump should be broken out in guide

:roflmao:

But seriously ....... it should be broken out.

That would be an important event.

The thing about so called "keys" is that the majority of them have "created" by Bob Overstreet. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Every time Bob breaks out an issue from its run and decsribes it specifically in the guide, it creates collector interest and more people want the issue.

And as more people buy the issue, it becomes more of a "key".

Some of these keys burn out after a few years (mostly DC keys like the Green Lantern #141 - first Omega Men) while others continue forever like Daredevil #168.

What surprises me is CGC doesn't note that on the label, but just that it is the 1st appearance and origin of Elektra. Would be nice to note the other major important event associated with the book. There's plenty of room for it.

ASM #28 is not a "key" per say. PP graduating HS and the Molten Man origin are not earth shattering events in the world of Spidey. It has high value because of a very cool black cover that is hard to find in higher grades.

And ASM 5 is an even worse example pimpy. There is absolutely nothing key about that book. Dr Doom's what, fifth or so appearance? Give me a break

I agree that major key needs to major. I might also stipulate that to be a simple key should also reflect something significant to the development of the Spider-Man mythos. For example I don't think that 41 and 43 do much to mold Peter Parker/Spider-man. But I do see 42 with the motorcycle and the meeting of Mary Jane to be significant occurrences and worthy of being a key (not a major key--to me that's really just AF 15, 1 and 121).

exactly! and the first appearances of two-bit villains (vulture, scorpion, rhino) aren't keys either. People seem to have this idea that every friggin spidey book is a key and that the first time spidey took a dump should be broken out in guide

Ben Grimm vomited on he roof of the Baxter Building in FF # 52....but probably not for the first time...he did go to college, after all. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Surprised this one hasn`t been mentioned yet.

ALL-STAR WESTERN 10

first Jonah Hex.

HOLY! Good catch. I made the mistake years ago of selling a VF/NM copy because the books always sold so cheap. Big Mistake!

Surprised this one hasn`t been mentioned yet.

ALL-STAR WESTERN 10

first Jonah Hex.

HOLY! Good catch. I made the mistake years ago of selling a VF/NM copy because the books always sold so cheap. Big Mistake!

I got a beat up copy somewhere,I paid like a dollar for it in the early 1990`s

I bought it the same day I bought my 20 copies of Spawn 1 :)

Some books are "key issues" the day they are printed. Others seem to take 20 years to be broken out as a key issue in Overstreet.

So what books took the longest time to become a major key? (not counting Golden Age books which took until the first Overstreet was published in 1970 to be acknowledged as a key book)

Some that come to my mind are the late 1960's Batman books like:

Detective #359 first Batgirl

Batman 155 first silver age Penguin

Batman 171 first silver Riddler

Batman 189 first Scarecrow

I do not remember these as being key books in the early 1980's but they were by the 1990's. So it took 20+ years for them to become major keys

So what others are out there?

Green Lantern #40

With Daredevil 168, isn't part of its staying power is not only the 1st Elektra, but wasn't that when Miller took over writing completely and not just art?

yup

Is that really a selling point for the book? Miller's first writing?

I think that 1st Elektra has, and will continue to, overshadow that by a factor of 99 to 1.

Consider: if Miller's first writing was #167...would anybody care?

Can you show me that in writing please? :insane:

You deserve that after the New Mutants hijacking of '09. lol

Well, yes it would because many purchase DD 158 with the assumption it is Miller's first writing and art, and it isn't. So if the market started to realized there is a double-significance to DD 168, and it is where his creative writing came into play, how much of a value difference could that make?

Well, yes it would because many purchase DD 158 with the assumption it is Miller's first writing and art, and it isn't. So if the market started to realized there is a double-significance to DD 168, and it is where his creative writing came into play, how much of a value difference could that make?

Neither are worth what they are valued at...

But #168 was the second most expensive of the Miller Daredevil's within a year of coming out. I guess it wasn't a major key until she started being seen as a major character, but the issue was pretty much always one of the keys of the run.

How long did it take for Martian Manhunter (Detective #225) to be seen as a key? When I started in the '80s it was already singled out, but I don't know how long it had been seen as a key issue?

Well....I guess, but I just don't see Miller's WRITING to be that much of a selling point.

After all, he's like Byrne: far, far more important as an artist. And Byrne's written hundreds, if not thousands, of comics.

This is in opposition to, say, Alan Moore (the very first writer in comics to have "key books" simply because they were written by him), who is known solely as a writer. Neil Gaiman, too.

Maybe there's been a shift, and Miller is regarded as a writer on par with his art, but I don't think so.

But #168 was the second most expensive of the Miller Daredevil's within a year of coming out. I guess it wasn't a major key until she started being seen as a major character, but the issue was pretty much always one of the keys of the run.

How long did it take for Martian Manhunter (Detective #225) to be seen as a key? When I started in the '80s it was already singled out, but I don't know how long it had been seen as a key issue?

The MM is seen by some as the start of the SA, and I would definately say the martian manhunter is an infinitely more important that elektra.