• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Comics Conundrum!

36 posts in this topic

So I was talking to a friend today about the whole "the Presidency is bigger than any one man" thing and this question came to my mind:

Is your whole collection bigger than any one comic?

What if you were offered your Grails of Grails but you had to give up your whole collection (let's say it's equal to its value) to get it? Would you do it?

Of course we all would............Bunch of liars, hooligans on this board. Give me a Detective 27 VF and you can have my 10's of bronze 9.8s and 2000 other key books.

So I was talking to a friend today about the whole "the Presidency is bigger than any one man" thing and this question came to my mind:

What if you were offered your Grails of Grails but you had to give up your whole collection (let's say it's equal to its value) to get it? Would you do it?

Of course we all would............Bunch of liars, hooligans on this board. Give me a Detective 27 VF and you can have my 10's of bronze 9.8s and 2000 other key books.

I don't have any Bronze 9.8s... :baiting:

(Well, maybe a couple...) lol

I'm really surprsied by some of these responses, particularly Nik and Detc27. (Rick).

I could have sworn in a thread some months back, a mjority of the posters here were talking about having less is more, and trading up for one or five really high priced books.

Me? I have a core collection that I just can't get rid of that hovers around 3k copies. I have another 2k books that i would consider negotiable, and the value is not insignificant, but I still say no.

Yes...

I could allways rebuild my collection

Of course we all would...

Even if we were talking about the Mile High Action 1 I would have to give it some thought...and then say no.

I'd take an 8.0 unrestored Tec 27, or action #1 over most collections, any day.

it's true a collection can reflect one's character etc

but still with the two books mentioned above, total importance, scarcity,value, &

....Easier to travel to the next life with as well ;)

These answers would be better put into context if every one who posted actually named their "grail of grails" book.

For a HG Action Comics 1 or Tec 27.. Im betting 95% of the collectors would say yes. I'd give up my collection easily because half the fun would be rebuilding it.

If I got the book once I could get it again, but there are only a select few that would be impossible to get.

Even if we were talking about the Mile High Action 1 I would have to give it some thought...and then say no.

That's easy for you to say, with the quality books you've already got. :)

This discussion really comes down to what your collection's worth compared to the rarity of the "grail of your grails".

good question. i only have 1200 books and none of them are particularly valuable.

i would swap them for a decent copy of AF15 (ha ha) but nothing else at the moment (except the BIG books of course)

im looking for quantity at the mo, then concentrate on quality

neil

No

You lack passion, hoar(der).

GL 195 and Crisis sucks, Jayhack fan. :acclaim:

I listed an auction the other day and thought of you (a bulk load of Wonder Woman books). Then I started screaming and didn't stop until the sedatives kicked in.

And, for your information, due to the JayHAWKS' spectacular 2008 with two bowl wins - one being in the Orange Bowl - and the basketball championship, I have vowed to refer to them as the JayHAWKS for all of 2009, no matter how bad it gets.

:golfclap:

This discussion really comes down to what your collection's worth compared to the rarity of the "grail of your grails".

Thanks (thumbs u

Collecting is always a process of expanding and contracting. Everybody has a different reason for how and why they keep stuff. For me, my grail was opening a store and I sold off most of my collection towards that goal at that time. Fortunately things have gone well and I have been able to keep a few things for myself over the years.

Thanks (thumbs u

Collecting is always a process of expanding and contracting. Everybody has a different reason for how and why they keep stuff. For me, my grail was opening a store and I sold off most of my collection towards that goal at that time. Fortunately things have gone well and I have been able to keep a few things for myself over the years.

My collection doesn't know the definition of contraction... :P I'm starting to feel like I'm taking on my father's tendencies (packrat) and think perhaps I better do something about it!