• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Exciting Comics #9

82 posts in this topic

Well, I'm only one person. So I wouldn't change the Overstreet value based on it, but $2000 isn't enough for this one. Well, right now anyway.

Personally, I don't think the revival of some of these characters in Alex Ross' "Project Superpowers" has much to do with any increase in demand on these books. Sure there are a few people that have probably taken notice, and that is great that readers of new comics are finding thier way in to GA.

I think any increased demand on these has more to do with the cyclical market. Silver Age takes a turn at going insane, GA looks like a bargain, Timely and DC start going crazy, then these great characters (many with Schomburg cover art) start to look like bargains. Then the demand increases exponentially because of more exposure. Especially exposure like some of the great books that were offered for sale in the last Comiclink auction that went crazy. Of course, that is more fuel to the fire.

exciting9gvg001.jpg

Well, I'm only one person. So I wouldn't change the Overstreet value based on it, but $2000 isn't enough for this one. Well, right now anyway.

Personally, I don't think the revival of some of these characters in Alex Ross' "Project Superpowers" has much to do with any increase in demand on these books. Sure there are a few people that have probably taken notice, and that is great that readers of new comics are finding thier way in to GA.

I think any increased demand on these has more to do with the cyclical market. Silver Age takes a turn at going insane, GA looks like a bargain, Timely and DC start going crazy, then these great characters (many with Schomburg cover art) start to look like bargains. Then the demand increases exponentially because of more exposure. Especially exposure like some of the great books that were offered for sale in the last Comiclink auction that went crazy. Of course, that is more fuel to the fire.

exciting9gvg001.jpg

Thanks for the salt in the wound Mike....

:cry:

I'm also considering...

Shield/Wizard #5 (VF+)

Pep #7 (VF-)

America's Best #21 (VF-)

Green Lantern #7 (a pretty F/VF)

Green Lantern #14 (F/VF)

Charlotte is the mini-con capital of the world!! :gossip:

So many comics to buy :cloud9: so little money :pullhair:

lol It's on rare ocassion I get to do apply the salt. I do know the feeling though, happens just about every time I open a thred in the GA forum.

exciting9gvg001.jpg

Rub deeply. Apply as needed. Repeat. lol

exciting9gvg001.jpg

Let me agree 100% with my buddy Mike here. Silver prices are just way too nutty right now. Quality GA is looking like more and more of a bargain, and they ain't making more of it (unlike Silver, which is getting "potentialized" left and right).

The November Comiclink auction rang the death bell on what had been a fairly even-keeled multi-year market on Nedor Schomburg covers. It was a wake up call for me, and I've been buying whatever "bargains" I've been able to find in the last 2-3 months pretty aggressively. I know there are 4-5 other serious Schomburg Nedor fans on these boards, and certainly a couple more I don't know about who will drop some serious coin and chase the same stuff to new heights.

What was perhaps most illuminating for me was how strong the prices on the mid-grade stuff was. That to me bodes well for the material in all grades.

So, I'm glad I've been able to acquire some gems the last few years at what are now looking like bargain prices. And guys like Jeff (Nearmint) who has been buying consistantly for years, gets to reap the rewards of his diligent purchasing now that the market is going nut-so (that is, if he ever decides to sell).

And guys like Jeff (Nearmint) who has been buying consistantly for years, gets to reap the rewards of his diligent purchasing now that the market is going nut-so.

And as a reward, Jeff gets to pay many times what he would have for books that he has been searching years for. Congrats Jeff! (thumbs u

And guys like Jeff (Nearmint) who has been buying consistantly for years, gets to reap the rewards of his diligent purchasing now that the market is going nut-so.

And as a reward, Jeff gets to pay many times what he would have for books that he has been searching years for. Congrats Jeff! (thumbs u

I never said there wasn't a downside.... :P

The last thing I want to happen to stuff I collect is for prices to rapidly escalate.

Sure, it might pull a few copies out of the woodwork. But damn, I hate to pay crazy money for books I want. I would much rather Marvel Mystery and Capt. America were dead titles and I could buy them for a tenth, twentieth a hundredth of what they go for now. I don't care about resale. I ain't ever planning on selling them. In fact, I HOPE the golden age market totally collapses. I would love to buy this stuff for five or ten bucks apiece!

The last thing I want to happen to stuff I collect is for prices to rapidly escalate.

Sure, it might pull a few copies out of the woodwork. But damn, I hate to pay crazy money for books I want. I would much rather Marvel Mystery and Capt. America were dead titles and I could buy them for a tenth, twentieth a hundredth of what they go for now. I don't care about resale. I ain't ever planning on selling them. In fact, I HOPE the golden age market totally collapses. I would love to buy this stuff for five or ten bucks apiece!

The nice thing about being in it for the long-term, as collectors like you and Jeff are, and I hope to be, is that short term spikes and dips tend to cancel themselves out. Perhaps this fascination with Schomburg Nedors is short-lived, and last a year or so. So Jeff buys fewer books right now (or has to pay more for those he REALLY wants), but he resumes buying when the market normalizes again.

I know if I look over my Nedor Schomburg's, most fall into the "bargain" category, but there are a few I paid handsomly to acquire. All kind of evens out in the end, methinks. hm

exciting9gvg001.jpg

Wow, that's a nice book Mike. (thumbs u Where did you pluck that from?

Works for me, especially since I owna lot less GA then you do.

So Jeff buys fewer books right now (or has to pay more for those he REALLY wants), but he resumes buying when the market normalizes again.

And that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm giving all my attention to my other major focus, which is GA Actions. I hope to complete a run of 29-63 by the end of the year(just 6 books away).

I've only picked up one Nedor in recent months, but it was one I've been searching for for a number of years.