• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman / Batman (Issue 4 Spoilers)

7 posts in this topic

Is anyone else reading this book?

I am really enjoying Jeph Loeb's story. I just read the current issue (number 4) and loved every minute of it. A few moments that I thought were standouts: Superman vs The Big Cheese & Batman vs. Hawkman; the "castling" related chess comments; Batman asking Billy Batson what his name is and getting "SHAZAM" as a a reply; Power girl and the "distract the 13 year-old" comments.

This book is as good as Loeb's Hush storyline and Ed McGuiness' art suits the story and the characters. If you are not reading this book I would suggest that you give it a try (just avoid the first issue RRP and buy a regular cover).

Anyone else have opinions on this series?

smile.gif

Is anyone else reading this book?

I am really enjoying Jeph Loeb's story. I just read the current issue (number 4) and loved every minute of it. A few moments that I thought were standouts: Superman vs The Big Cheese & Batman vs. Hawkman; the "castling" related chess comments; Batman asking Billy Batson what his name is and getting "SHAZAM" as a a reply; Power girl and the "distract the 13 year-old" comments.

This book is as good as Loeb's Hush storyline and Ed McGuiness' art suits the story and the characters. If you are not reading this book I would suggest that you give it a try (just avoid the first issue RRP and buy a regular cover).

Anyone else have opinions on this series?

smile.gif

I picked up #4 because... well, who could resist that cover? It was my first issue with that series and I really enjoyed it! I want to pick up the others now... stupid good books. Keep stealing my money.

Yeah, this is a pretty cool series. I've collected the old World's Finest books (not the greatest reading for a period), and I just had to pick this one up. So far it hasn't disappointed. I just hope DC manages to maintain this level of quality for awhile - lately writers and artists come and go like the wind...

You guys really like Ed McGuiness' art? He should NOT be drawing Superman!

I like McGuiness' art in relation to the story that Loeb is telling. I am not saying that it is the best Superman that I have seen rendered, not is it the best Batman.

Perhaps the good news then is that with issue # 8 Michael Turner will be taking over as the regular artist.

You guys really like Ed McGuiness' art? He should NOT be drawing Superman!

I like McGuiness' art in relation to the story that Loeb is telling. I am not saying that it is the best Superman that I have seen rendered, not is it the best Batman.

Perhaps the good news then is that with issue # 8 Michael Turner will be taking over as the regular artist.

I think Turner is just having an arc as well. Loeb has stated that he wants to get top artists, but they can only do certain amount of issues since they probably have duties elswhere. He does not want to miss a month or have guest artist in the middle of an arc. So, the book is going to have rotating artists that work on the same arc. I think the guy that did JLA/JSA vice and virtue HC is going to have an arc as well. McGuiness is going to get the bulk of the work. I think I remember that he said he could get out 10 to 11 issues out a year. This will give him a chance to work without tight deadlines and it gives fans a chance to see top artists on Superman/Batman. I like this idea.