• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey GA gurus, what is this?

7 posts in this topic

Unless there are some hidden gems inside -maybe $5 or so.

There were scores of these digest size panel gag cartoon books published in the 40s and 50s. Interesting in their own right - but not that valuable.

If you do a Google search for "Humorama Magazines" you will find a ton of information about them.

BIP Comics has a section about the Timely/Atlas ones: Humorama Magazines The ones with illustrations by Dan DeCarlo are sought after by collectors.

I'm not sure who published your "Gags" magazine, but it doesn't appear to be one of the Timely/Atlas titles.

this is published by Triangle Publications - there are tons of cartoons by different artists. I didn't see any Dan Decarlo or Betty Page when looking through it. The only thing I could find out about Triangle was a bunch of court cases. Some of the artist names that appear quite often are Mort Walker, Henry Boltinoff, George Wolfe, Les Colin, Clyde Lamb, Frank Oneal, Cavalli, Ben Roth, Salo, Golpstein, Ed Sullivan, Jeff Keate, more... a lot of Cavalli (his art looks familiar) and one of the few I could actually find on google.

Further note: When you run across mags like these keep your eyes open for Powerhouse Pepper reprints. Basil Wolverton shows up in the oddest places...