• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Convention sketch etiquette????

16 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Getting ready for an upcoming convention and wanting to get on a particular artists sketch list.

As I've never done this before, is there anything I should know in advance?

Will I even have a chance to make the list if I'm flowing in with the regular crowd and not the dealers?

Any other tips and tricks you guys have up your sleeves would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

#1 GO EARLY. If you want to get on the list of an artist make sure you are one of the first in line to get oh his/her list the first day of the show. Dont wait till the last day to ask the artist.

#2 BE PAITENT. Some artists will take lists while others will not, some will just NOT SKETCH at shows.Sometimes you will have to wait in looooong lines just to ask and get turned down.

#3 BEING ON THE LIST DOES NOT GUARENTEE YOU A SKETCH. I have been on some artists lists 3 or 4 times and time ran out and I didnt get a sketch. At that point thank the artist for thier time

#4 THANK THE ARTIST. Sometimes sketches dont come out exactly how you pictured them, but remember to always thank the artist for doing it for you.

One last tip which can be done before the show is try finding the artists website. See if it has any contact info and try to contact them in advance to see if they will be sketching, if they will be taking an advanced list and how much they will be charging.

don't be overbearing and bother then before, during and after the show, just be polite.

I agree.

I have been at shows where certain collectors will brow beat, guilt, connive, and act badly to get the sketch they want.

The best rule of thumb for me has always been, if you respect the artist's work enough to spend your hard earned money on a piece of their art then you should at least show the same respect to the artists themselves. Some of my very best friends in this hobby are the artists and writers I have met over the years. I respect their gift and they appreciate people who don't treat them like an "art monkey" cracking the whip until the boobs on Phantom Lady are pointy enough.

Treat them like you would like to be treated, put yourself in their shoes, and if you get the chance to meet your artistic idol do your very best not to drool all over him. I think I giggled like a school girl the first time I met Bernie Wrightson....not a pretty sight.

Best,

C

i'm lucky enough to call my favorite artist, Barry Kitson, a friend. It really changes your perspective on how to interact with creators when you know them on a personal level. Believe it or not they are people.

... and if you get the chance to meet your artistic idol do your very best not to drool all over him. I think I giggled like a school girl the first time I met Bernie Wrightson....not a pretty sight.

Best,

C

Good to know I'm not alone... :shy:

I was a total nerd getting meet artists for the first time this fall :grin:

I agree with all the comments about respect and manners with the artist. To expand on that theme, remember the people waiting patiently behind you in line. You would probably love to sit down and chat for an hour, but, most artists have a hard time chatting and sketching. Heap your praise, ask a short answer question then please let them work. I'm not saying don't talk, just be mindful of the line.

#1 GO EARLY. If you want to get on the list of an artist make sure you are one of the first in line to get oh his/her list the first day of the show. Dont wait till the last day to ask the artist.

#2 BE PAITENT. Some artists will take lists while others will not, some will just NOT SKETCH at shows.Sometimes you will have to wait in looooong lines just to ask and get turned down.

#3 BEING ON THE LIST DOES NOT GUARENTEE YOU A SKETCH. I have been on some artists lists 3 or 4 times and time ran out and I didnt get a sketch. At that point thank the artist for thier time

#4 THANK THE ARTIST. Sometimes sketches dont come out exactly how you pictured them, but remember to always thank the artist for doing it for you.

One last tip which can be done before the show is try finding the artists website. See if it has any contact info and try to contact them in advance to see if they will be sketching, if they will be taking an advanced list and how much they will be charging.

All good points. Let me add another:

#5: SHOW RESPECT TO FELLOW FANS: After you have your sketch lined up, don't just stand in the line and hold up everyone else as you wait for it. Stand to the side, if you wish to speak with the artist, while they do the sketch and allow others who've come to get their books and other things signed the chance to do the same. Not everyone is looking to get a sketch from the artist and they deserve to have their moment with their favorite creator, just like you. It might slow down the speed of your sketch somewhat, but it goes a long way to showing other fans AND the creator, that you care about more than just yourself.

BATHE.

You'd be surprised how many con attendees forget that one.

Wow... no kidding, right? I heard the horror stories but they just don't do (in)justice to the reality when you're in line. Stinkiest dude was right behind me when I was in line to meet Ron Garney. Naaaaasty. :sick:

Forget all these reasons above (including bathing).

If you really want sketches from people that don't even normally do sketches take the Kris Moore approach.

Try to convince them that it's really not for you, but it's for your daughter.

Brow beat them until they are so sick of you they just want you to leave them alone.

Continuously talk nonsense about everyone you've met and gotten to do sketches for you making sure you don't forget even the most obscure connection/reference you can think of that the artist has done.

When being responded too, suddenly ignore them and talk to a different artist and act like you never even started a conversation with the first.

These are all sure fire tips!

:jokealert:

(Sorry Kris, I kid only because I've known you for so long)

:grin:

Forget all these reasons above (including bathing).

If you really want sketches from people that don't even normally do sketches take the Kris Moore approach.

Try to convince them that it's really not for you, but it's for your daughter.

Brow beat them until they are so sick of you they just want you to leave them alone.

Continuously talk nonsense about everyone you've met and gotten to do sketches for you making sure you don't forget even the most obscure connection/reference you can think of that the artist has done.

When being responded too, suddenly ignore them and talk to a different artist and act like you never even started a conversation with the first.

These are all sure fire tips!

:jokealert:

(Sorry Kris, I kid only because I've known you for so long)

:grin:

I heard Kris performs Rap music while the artist completes the sketch.

KNOW WHAT YOU WANT. I know this might sound stupid, but I've seen (and done this once or twice in my earlier days) some people change their minds 5 or 6 times about what they want. Also, don't say "draw whatever you want" more than once. Once is ok if you're trying to be polite (usually if you're getting it for free), but most artists want a clue. If you're truly indecisive, try "is there anyone you feel like drawing?" or narrow it down slightly "Any female member of the X-Men" or some such.

Here's a post I made in another forum about this same subject:

I'd like to add that media guests make an appearance strictly for one thing, to sign autographs, usually for money.

There are very few comic industry people that EVER charge for an autograph. As Mark mentioned, with people like Adam, sometimes they are very finicky. In Adam's case, if his wife Allison doesn't like you, you're not getting a sketch.

Other artists only do sketches for kids, or none at all!

Jusko is a good example of this, before last year, he did NOT do sketches for people. He'd sell you prints, etc. but that was it.

Just because you're on a list it never guarantees you a sketch. I've seen artists that even make people pre-pay for them and then have to turn around and give the money back Sunday evening because they couldn't get to it.

In the case of Mitch Breitwiser, I paid him for a sketch that I didn't end up getting for 6 months! I have friends that have waited 2 years from other artists!

The thing to realize and remember is that these guys are working artists. They can only do so much in a given amount of time. They have deadlines to meet, back logs of sketches to complete, commission pieces, etc. It's not like a "media" guest that is for all practical purposes retired because they were in a movie wearing a mask 30 years ago. Residuals and $20 autographs are a "media" guests bread and butter whereas a comic artist bills don't get paid by doing convention sketches.

I've been PM'ed by a couple of people wanting to know good tips on getting sketches and I'll go ahead and post it here:

#1 rule, ALWAYS be respectful to the artist.

If someone else is at the table chatting with the artist be POLITE and allow them to finish their conversation. Don't jump in saying things like "What's your list look like?" or "I just want to get a sketch from you"

Try and contact the artist BEFORE a con. Most artists have either a comicartfan.com page, myspace, or facebook. Be POLITE and ask them if they are going to be doing any commissions/sketches and see if you can arrange to have something done. Many times they will knock it out before the con begins where all you have to do is pick it up!

It really helps to HONESTLY get to know these guys. Comic artists are like a "private club" if you get a bad reputation with a few of them, your name will get around and you won't ever get anything done.

Meet other people that get con sketches and get to know them also. Many times I've been able to get a sketch from someone that is notoriously difficult strictly through a friend of a friend. NETWORKING is important.

Don't get offended if an artist wants to inscribe a piece for you. Much like with media guests, if you immediately take what they do for you and flip it on eBay you won't ever get another sketch from them. Artists WILL remember the piece because it is much easier to identify than a signature.

Always offer to pay for the sketch upfront. This is VERY important because it shows that you really want something from them and that you ARE willing to pay for it.

If you are requesting a specific character, always ask the artist if they are willing to do that character AND ALWAYS have reference material for the character. Don't automatically expect every artist to know what IG-88 looks like, or what a specific costume or uniform is. I have Vampirella trading cards that I put into a card collecting sheet (the 9 pocket kind) that I hand out to the artist so they can use it as costume reference.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure there are other things that others could add and if I remember anything else I'll add it.

Just remember, comic book artists may act and dress like rock stars, but many of them do not make a lot of money and doing sketches at conventions for money is "spending money" for them.