• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie Questions.

5 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I am new to comic book collecting and have a few questions for those of you who don’t mind answering and helping out a newbie. My focus for my collection is going modern comic books the higher end Variant covers mainly CGC signature series type. My questions are:

• What is the average cost to have a book signed?

• Are there people that offer to have books signed for you and if so what is the going rate?

• Is there some sort of reference price guide for CGC signature books?

• Once the book is signed is it given a yellow label on the spot or does it need to be submitted to CGC and sent back?

Thanks in advance for the help and replies I am sure I will have more and that these questions sometimes need more information to given an answer. However I am just looking for overall information at this point. I have a limited amount of time to travel so hiring someone to get a signature for me would be ideal.

Jeremiah

Welcome to the boards! :hi:

I think most of your questins can be answered in the "SIGNATURE SERIES QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS" thread, but I'll try to help too.

Prices vary, but for the most part $40-50 per book should get you covered.

There are CGC witnesses al over the place willing to help out fellow collectors! Just find the show where the creator you're wanting a signature from is appearing and check here to see which witnesses are attending and whether they're accepting submissions. These are some super people to deal with! Their rates are usually wrapped up in the cost above. If the signer you want charges, those fees will be extra.

These boards and eBay are the best references I've found for prices. CGC SS books generally bring more than their unsigned counterparts in the same grade, but that varies by signer. Stan Lee will generally get a big premium, while Keith Giffen may not get much of a bump at all (those are just two name I pulled out of the air).

Once witnessed and signed, the book is sent back to CGC for grading again. There is no guarantee the book will hold its previous grade due to the nature of getting it signed. Most books do hold their grade, but you never know.

• What is the average cost to have a book signed?

Prices vary. The low end is $27 for a modern with a single signature when submitting at a show. When sending a book to a Witness they sometimes charge a Witnessing fee on top of that to cover some of their additional expenses.

• Are there people that offer to have books signed for you and if so what is the going rate?

Yes, there are many. These are the "Witnesses" who promote themselves here on the boards. There is no going rate in most cases, it's determined by the the three basic questions of WHO do you want, on WHAT comic book or magazine, and WHERE are they appearing.

• Is there some sort of reference price guide for CGC signature books?

No.

• Once the book is signed is it given a yellow label on the spot or does it need to be submitted to CGC and sent back?

Submitted and sent back, as the yellow label is generated as part of the grading and encapsulation process. There are a couple of shows with on-site grading like Wizard World Philadelphia or Wizard World Chicago where if the request is completed early enough it can be graded and encapsulated at the convention by CGC.