• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL - What major characters will lose the most popularity in the next 20 years?

Which major characters will lose the most popularity in the next 20 years?  

606 members have voted

1. 1. Which major characters will lose the most popularity in the next 20 years?

88 posts in this topic

Flash, Punisher, & Human Torch

my choices too.

Why is Human Torch even in this poll? Does he even have any popularity to lose?

I love the Fantastic Four, but the Human Torch, in any incarnation, doesn't need to worry about losing popularity... finding it might be a different matter.

First of all there will not be comics in the next 20 years. The 17 year olds today will be 37. The Perez kids will be 50. The boomers will be mostly dead. I know kids in my local high school who have 4.0s and have never read a book..............scary future it is. The Perez kids will like teen titans and transformers and there should still be a strong collectible market by these 80's collectors 20 years from now when they have money. So the key is to look at the the 80's characters to see who will still be popular.

There will be new characters on the net or in video games but they will be different than in your poll except maybe Spider-man.. I haven't seen a 13 year old in a comic book store in the last 10 years. So I don't know who they will like when they are 30 but it won't be comic book characters.

Really good question by the way.............very thought provoking.

All I have to say is "where's the crack option" I dont think any one of these characters will lose popularity,have they yet after 30-40-50 years?No (shrug)

I don't know about the long term popularity of moon knight. He is a cool looking character when done properly, but the David Finch run died hard and it was one of the nicest looking books that has come out in a while. I would agree with most of the others.

Everything is contingent on a good writer, someone creative doing something with a character, a lot of marketing, a good film, etc.

I picked Supes, Punisher and Flash. IMO, Supes hasn't aged well. Punisher is a tough character because you can only do so much with him. I liked a big stretch of the Garth Ennis run but after a while even a good writer runs out of steam with this character. Flash is just blah.

This is only anecdotal evidence so it isn't worth much but I think WW will hang around. There are some collectors and readers who are interested in strong female characters. And I don't just mean cheescake or GG art. Everything in the modern era that I have ever sold that has a woman character as the headliner has sold easily. Birds of Prey, moved it no problem, Catwoman, no problem, Harley Quinn, Red Sonja, no problem, etc. I was able to at least make my money back selling these; which is saying something for re-sale on moderns.

The results after 507 votes are as follows:

Character

Number Of Votes - Percentage of Votes

Superman

26 05%

Batman

7 01%

Spiderman

15 3%

Hulk

13 3%

Wonder Woman