• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question From An Eager Noob: Where to Spend $20,000?

135 posts in this topic

Greetings! I'm a long-time lurker, and I'd like to thank each of you for the wonderful information and advice provided so far. You guys rock. I've read through nearly all of the "Advice for New Collectors" thread, in addition to other similar threads and resources on this site and others. I feel that I am on solid ground as far as my (beginners!) knowledge of comic book collecting and investing goes. However, I thought that it would be worth a shot to ask the Brain Trust around here one more question:

I've been reading comics (only for fun, without a thought to using comics as investments) for over 10 years. And of course, I still intend on doing so! However, with the current state of the stock market, real estate market and the general financial instability in the United States, I'm seriously considering starting a collection of valuable comics to add to my portfolio. These comics would be to collect, enjoy and display (but not read), while at the same time being a fun and prudent place to park some of my money set aside for investment purposes.

So, my question is, what would you buy with $20,000? I'd like to get a %10 or higher return on my money in 5, 10 or 15 years. If possible, I'd like to focus on my favorites (Batman, and also Daredevil and Green Lantern).

Should it all be CGC graded? Or should I purchase books that like, and then submit them for grading? Should I only buy books VF or better?

I've heard two pieces of advice that perhaps some of you would elaborate on:

1. "Just buy any mainstream Silver or Bronze Age title from DC or Marvel, as long as it is in VF or better, and hold onto it for a few years, you'll get your money back and then some."

2. "Focus on properties and characters that Hollywood is preparing to make movies with. They will shoot up in value."

Also, how would you compare collecting comics as investments, in comparison with investing your money in the stock market? (Besides, of course, that comics are way more fun).

Also, should I be going after "big ticket" books that will cost me $1,000 or more, or should I have a larger collection with $100 books?

Also, what is to be said about quick-flipping variants and books hot according to Wizard? Are these books worth holding onto, or is this route the equivalent to day trading with securities?

I hope that I've been clear and polite. I really appreciate you guys allowing a newbie to work some stuff out. I greatly appreciate your advice and look forward to reading your responses! Thanks in advance!

Warmest regards,

-Scott

So, my question is, what would you buy with $20,000? I'd like to get a %10 or higher return on my money in 5, 10 or 15 years. If possible, I'd like to focus on my favorites (Batman, and also Daredevil and Green Lantern).

-Scott

mid-grade, unrestored, off-white paged, CGC graded pre-Robin Tecs.....when and if you can find them

Thanks, showcase4. Is eBay the way to go for something like this? Thanks!

the books will be hard to find, but well worth the effort. You would need to look at a multitude of venues, such as eBay, ComicLink, Heritage, and with larger dealers like Metropolis.

Glad I could be of help (thumbs u

Steve

the books will be hard to find, but well worth the effort. You would need to look at a multitude of venues, such as eBay, ComicLink, Heritage, and with larger dealers like Metropolis.

Steve

Thanks! So, you'd feel good about these books fetching %10 more than I paid for them in say, 10 years? (Assuming that they were the right book and everything was in order?).

Steve

Thanks! So, you'd feel good about these books fetching %10 more than I paid for them in say, 10 years? (Assuming that they were the right book and everything was in order?).

No....I'd feel good about them fetching 15% per year, every year

Buy what you like. Obviously, early run Batman's, Superman's, and Spider-Man's will be some of the best books to have 5-15 years down the line. Majority of my good comics are mid grade CGC books, but I'm rather happy with all of them.

You will never go wrong with a Amazing Fantasy Fantasy 15. I just don't see this book ever taking a serious nose dive price wise. But buy what you really like. But remember for investment purposes. Buy the book's that others like as well. I would get two{2} or more mid grade keys. Or go with the nice upper mid range AF 15. Book's like FF #1, X-Men #1,

DareDevil #1, ASM #1, Hulk #1. There a part of Americana at it's best.

My personal opinion would to be to get the best AF 15 you can get for $10 - $12K. Then find a decent ASM #1 for $4k - $6k. Then go find yourself a nice mid to higher grade key. A book like X-Men # 94 or a GSXM #1. I would say without much doubt that these book's will get the best ROI you can find in comic book's.

As a side note. Stay away from books that have a Cream or worse PQ assignment. Collectors/investors really seem to frown on these PQ assignments.

OW, OW/White, White Pages are what most collectors/investors like to see on there books.

Restored book's are also book's that I would not invest in. While I can understand why most restoration is done. I personally don't believe they will appreciate in value as much as a un restored book in most instances. IMHO of course.

CGC graded book's will always get you that assurance as a buyer and seller as well. That will lead to a better buy and sell situation. CGC graded book's seem to sell for that premium sellers are looking to get as well. PGX graded books... Well, not so much, to put it mildly. Good Luck with your investment's.

Steve

Why on earth would you send someone who is investing to Metropolis or Heritage? Nothing against Vinnie and Steve, but their prices are at the very top end, and they are almost completely unwilling to discount. And why waste the 19% hammer fee which could be better invested in books.

You can go to most other dealers, such as myself, or Bob, or Harley, or Ritter, or Ricky and get good books and get a solid discount (especially if you are going to drop 10 - 20K).

I have to agree with Dale Roberts. While both companies usually have some very nice books. There prices, for the most part, prove it. There is no way in ^$(# I would give Heritage a 19% buyers premium!! That is just crazy IMHO. It is money much better spent on private sales, different dealers, Ebay,

I would suggest you have a look at gpa analysis for comics. Google it and sign up.

I agree with eddly. Definitely sign up for GPA analysis (http://comics.gpanalysis.com). It will be the best $9.95 you spend each month. They track sales of CGC graded comics over different venues so you get a good idea of what a particular comic should be selling for (if it's CGC graded). Just remember that sales of raw (non-CGC graded) comics are not included on their website.

If I were you I'd definitely invest in some key comics (Amazing Fantasy #15, Amazing Spider-Man #1, Incredible Hulk #1, Journey Into Mystery #83, Tales to Astonish #27, etc.). I would also invest in strictly higher grade (VF/NM or better) Marvel and DC comics from the 1960's and 1970's. You might also look into purchasing some original comic art.

And why waste the 19% hammer fee which could be better invested in books.

There is no way in ^$(# I would give Heritage a 19% buyers premium!! That is just crazy IMHO. It is money much better spent on private sales, different dealers, Ebay,

Sigh.

The buyer's premium shafts the SELLER, not the buyer.

Original art... and no, I'm not Krazy.

From an investment standpoint, I'd go with original art because it's one of a kind and a bit less fragile than a mass produced comic using non-archival materials. Just my 2 cents. Plus originals look so sweet on the wall!

Also, depending on how much you have to start with, I would look outside the realm of strictly comic art and look at golden age of illustration. All the Brandywine artists seem to be blowing up like crazy. Check out www.illustrationhouse.com and you'll see what I mean.