• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question From An Eager Noob: Where to Spend $20,000?

135 posts in this topic

This thread is ball-breakingly hysterical.

i've gotta agree. Just once i want to see one of these "long term lurkers" show up on a Monday rather than a Friday and last through the week. It's astonishing the attention the posters get that claim: a) they're women or b)they've got $ to spend. i'm with pirate on this one. matches goes up in flames on monday.

This thread is ball-breakingly hysterical.

i've gotta agree. Just once i want to see one of these "long term lurkers" show up on a Monday rather than a Friday and last through the week. It's astonishing the attention the posters get that claim: a) they're women or b)they've got $ to spend. i'm with pirate on this one. matches goes up in flames on monday.

Agreed. Long term lurker but only on weekends.

I would spend it all on my site

Shameless plug of my great website

www.highgradecomics.com

The blazing one is well known as a top notch dealer along with Richard Evans(bedrock),sterlingcomics,esquirecomics(Mark Zaid).Dale Roberts,Harley Yee please excuse me if I missed anybody.

I would spend it all on my site

Shameless plug of my great website

www.highgradecomics.com

The blazing one is well known as a top notch dealer along with Richard Evans(bedrock),sterlingcomics,esquirecomics(Mark Zaid).Dale Roberts,Harley Yee please excuse me if I missed anybody.

Awesome, thanks for those links.

And for the nay-sayers, yes I'll be around on Monday...

Like I wrote in my first post, I've spent a good deal of time combing through older threads on this board; there is so much out there! I want to immerse myself in this stuff (though it started out as an investment decision, I'm finding myself having way too much fun learning and reading...).

Can some of you direct me to some of the more important threads and stickies for noobs like myself? I keep finding myself either in the middle of some esoteric conversations (I'll get there someday... ha) or off in no man's land, sorta spinning my wheels. It might save everyone some time, as I can just read those threads before asking anymore questions. Thanks!

From reading around on this site, it seems that the following sites are trustworthy places to find my bigger-ticket books:

Dale Roberts on eBay

Heritage

Pedigree

HouseOfComics

ComicLink

Am I leaving anyone else out?

How about Steve Borock, he often sells on these boards? He used to be a senior grader at CGC (as most of us know)

From reading around on this site, it seems that the following sites are trustworthy places to find my bigger-ticket books:

Dale Roberts on eBay

Heritage

Pedigree

HouseOfComics

ComicLink

Am I leaving anyone else out?

How about Steve Borock, he often sells on these boards? He used to be a senior grader at CGC (as most of us know)

Cool, I'll make a note of it!

So, here's a softball... once I get a comic that I'm interested in having CGC grade, how do I go about this? I've read through all of their official website, and the only things that confuse me are:

1. When they say that I need to submit the comic through / with a company, what does that mean and how do I go about that? They list places like Amazon and eBay as acceptable ways of doing this... but I'm still confused. Or should i just join the CGC Collectors Society? What do most rookies do?

2. What does the "Max Value" column mean under their "Prices and Fees" sections?

3. And... stay away from PGX, is that right?

Thanks again!

So, here's a softball... once I get a comic that I'm interested in having CGC grade, how do I go about this? I've read through all of their official website, and the only things that confuse me are:

1. When they say that I need to submit the comic through / with a company, what does that mean and how do I go about that? They list places like Amazon and eBay as acceptable ways of doing this... but I'm still confused. Or should i just join the CGC Collectors Society? What do most rookies do?

2. What does the "Max Value" column mean under their "Prices and Fees" sections?

Thanks again!

There should be a sticky for 1 & 2.

invest in 90's moderns, they are already pushing 20 years old. Great value there

I completely disagree with this. 2c

Any book from Marvel or DC from the 90's will NEVER be rare, not even in 9.8

And as soon as prices start to rise, more books get slabbed, and prices fall again. There will be constant price suppresion.

Take a look at some of the comic lots being sold by NEATSTUFF on ebay. They sell comics by the TRACTOR TRAILER load from the 1990's

How many potential 9.8's do you think are in an 18-wheeler?

That's why prices are never going to the moon on Marvel & DC 1990's stuff.

I think that post was a weak attempt to be funny...you needn't have justified it with a response. That pirate guy was just being a wise azz. :screwy:

You really live in the basement, don't you? Come on admit it....

Yes, actually...I do. But it's set up exactly like Golgoth's War Room. I sneak up to the computer room to read bad jokes sometimes...thanks for your valued input.

Thanks again!

As an "investment" ( your intital post ), you may just want to buy books at first that are already CGC graded, and then "graduate" to buying raw (unslabbed) copies once you learn more...... there are about 10,000,000,000 things that can backfire when buying a raw book, especially on higher dollar books that you seem to be interested in. Grading and restoration detection can take a LOOOOOOONG time to become competent at, and you don't want to pay $5,000 ( as an example ) for a VF 8.0 unrestored off-white Green Lantern something or other, that is really a F/VF 7.0 with some minor color touch, and cream /off-white pages.

Maybe take 2009 to start buying CGC graded comics, stick around here / keep reading all these threads -- including the "Can you spare a grade?" thread with posts of books and grade assessments, and look to start buying raw books in 2010? Again, this advice is because you have the "investor" mindset........as a collector, you can pretty much do whatever makes you happy, without these rules :insane:

Steve

Thanks again!

As an "investment" ( your intital post ), you may just want to buy books at first that are already CGC graded, and then "graduate" to buying raw (unslabbed) copies once you learn more...... there are about 10,000,000,000 things that can backfire when buying a raw book, especially on higher dollar books that you seem to be interested in. Grading and restoration detection can take a LOOOOOOONG time to become competent at, and you don't want to pay $5,000 ( as an example ) for a VF 8.0 unrestored off-white Green Lantern something or other, that is really a F/VF 7.0 with some minor color touch, and cream /off-white pages.

Maybe take 2009 to start buying CGC graded comics, stick around here / keep reading all these threads -- including the "Can you spare a grade?" thread with posts of books and grade assessments, and look to start buying raw books in 2010? Again, this advice is because you have the "investor" mindset........as a collector, you can pretty much do whatever makes you happy, without these rules :insane:

Steve

Thanks, my friend. Wise advice indeed. It sounds like a plan, and I'll keep you updated. I must admit that your advice about graded pre-Robin 'tecs is sounding pretty good to me... Might have to up the budget some though!