• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have to write this about Milehigh before i go crazy...

110 posts in this topic

So i'm searching some of the major dealer sites today in an effort to try and establish some reasonable prices for the balance of my DC's in the Sid's collection.

Everything seems pretty copecetic until i arrive at Milehigh for maybe only the second time ever.

This has got to be the weirdest business model ever. EVERYTHING in the way of early SA DC's is priced at MULTIPLES of guide. Nothing seems to be based on rarity or demand. Even the most common krap (Strange Sports Stories, anyone)is priced at 3X's guide.

and those are the SALES prices. some of the list prices are an ASTOUNDING 15x's guide for raw, non-keys.

Sea Devils #4 is listed at 9x's guide but on SALE for only 3x's guide.

Flash # 105 is listed for sale at 13.5 x's guide and is on sale for just 4.5x's guide.

And the scans are typically not of the book in question which furthers this Bizarro World site.

I know many of you were aware of this and i've read threads from time to time but the sheer lunacy of this concept boggles the mind. How will any of these books ever sell?? Or is this just some sales gimmick to keep a huge stock of back issues for show while pumping out the $5 books all day long??

I could buy a copy of a nice key like GL 1 in Very Good (4.0) from Metro, OR I could spend an EXTRA $850 for the Good (2.0) copy at Milehigh... :insane:

Please tell me if I'm missing something...

I just read this and admit I did laugh at the mental image of Harry spitting out his coffee, grabbing his glasses to make sure he was in fact reading those crazy prices correctly.

:roflmao:

So i'm searching some of the major dealer sites today in an effort to try and establish some reasonable prices for the balance of my DC's in the Sid's collection.

Everything seems pretty copecetic until i arrive at Milehigh for maybe only the second time ever.

This has got to be the weirdest business model ever. EVERYTHING in the way of early SA DC's is priced at MULTIPLES of guide. Nothing seems to be based on rarity or demand. Even the most common krap (Strange Sports Stories, anyone)is priced at 3X's guide.

and those are the SALES prices. some of the list prices are an ASTOUNDING 15x's guide for raw, non-keys.

Sea Devils #4 is listed at 9x's guide but on SALE for only 3x's guide.

Flash # 105 is listed for sale at 13.5 x's guide and is on sale for just 4.5x's guide.

And the scans are typically not of the book in question which furthers this Bizarro World site.

I know many of you were aware of this and i've read threads from time to time but the sheer lunacy of this concept boggles the mind. How will any of these books ever sell?? Or is this just some sales gimmick to keep a huge stock of back issues for show while pumping out the $5 books all day long??

I could buy a copy of a nice key like GL 1 in Very Good (4.0) from Metro, OR I could spend an EXTRA $850 for the Good (2.0) copy at Milehigh... :insane:

Please tell me if I'm missing something...

I just read this and admit I did laugh at the mental image of Harry spitting out his coffee, grabbing his glasses to make sure he was in fact reading those crazy prices correctly.

:roflmao:

Don't be so glib! (tsk)

Like many people here, I've ordered from Mile High a few times over the years. The few times I did, I used a sale/codeword combination, and got a pretty good deal. Now, granted, what I ordered were reading copies of common issues of lower-demand series (like MTIO, Luke Cage HFH, PM & IF, etc.) to complete full runs.

It's been several years, but I think most of them ended up being 40-60 cents each w/ the sale/codeword combo. I think I got a few low-grade JLA's, too, that were a few dollars, maybe? I ordered enough to get free shipping. I checked the website after that during future sale/codeword combo's, but could never match those deals, so I stopped checking and unsubscribed from his e-mail list.

At the time, it was a decent place to get reader copies of common issues, if you ordered enough of them to get free shipping. Maybe even that has changed? No idea - I haven't been to the site in years.

I'd never, ever use Mile High for high-grade copies.

Is there a problem with his business? You better believe it when they miss the mark on grading so much for books that are highly priced. And it is an individual's choice to buy or not buy from him. But he has the ability to drive stronger practices in an industry where he is the 800-lb gorilla and instead his company takes the approach of fostering worst-case practices. That is NOT impressive at all.

And that is pretty much the bottom line.

I've been saying it for years- Mile High Comics is the worst thing for the comic business. I've tried them and been dissappointed in nearly all my few purchases. One issue I sent back that was supposed to be in near mint that had the impression of the bottom of a soda bottle. Not only was the person on the phone rude, it got me on their infamous banned list ( something I wear with a badge of honor.) I actually have an email from him somewhere. Let's review this company -

- does not provide legitimate scans even on high ticket books.

- offers to buy at ridiculously low prices and then tries to sell them at gross over inflated prices that do not come close to reflecting market prices.

- spotty customer service with down right rude workers.

- poor grading. This is not just not due to us being "picky" as he once put it. It is due to not having qualified people.

- fake sales to try to justify obscene prices. Hey Chuck, do you really think anybody believes that you had X-Men #1 in 7.5 for $45,000 with the intention to sell it ? But look , now it is on sale for $15,300 - gee what a great deal. How about I go to C-Link and get it for less than half that. There is a non CGC X_men #1 in Good condition listed on MH for $3264 - only about 5 times market price. But look it used to be $9600............

And a few comments about Chuck

- Does anybody realize how bad he really hosed over Dallas Stevens. How many of the Dallas books got diluted with the regular stock? There is plenty more. If anybody wants to learn more , they should talk to a few New York big dealers for the full scoop.

- Give us a break with the Mile High 2, 3 , Dallas Stevens, Pottery Peyote Ponytail Pedigree or what ever snake oil you are peddling now Chuck. It is all hype. The fact is anybody in the top 50 in the registry has better collection than anything you are going to try to promote.

Do I think Chuck is an evil thief or bad person? No I do not. Occasionally he has even impressed me with some insights - particulary on the Danish cartoons of Muhammad. But I think the way his company run is pi_ss poor and bad for the comic industry. It will have to change to reflect the changing market.

Great post.

This sums up my sentiments about MH/Chuck as well. Chuck is the comic book equivalent of a used car salesman, and it's sad to think that his inflated prices may have cost the hobby some members.

He is in a position to bring people in to the hobby, but I can't help but think some disillusioned customers have quit the hobby after dealing with MH and their grading/pricing.

I used them to fill most of my conan and L.E.G.I.O.N. run. VF+ commons for $.60-$.75 each did fine. Also bought a Kitson OA splash page off them for a great value with free shipping. would I buy HG? Nope

I think if you have a specific list of more recent books or just want some reader copies of some books from the last 25 or so years and you get some decent codeword sale and get free or reduced shipping I think it is possible to do o.k.....or at least less that what many shops would charge. you could do better on ebay or at a show, but it's not all right there from one source.

I had almost put together an order to get some discount and free shipping (I was looking for some Goons and a few other things) and decided to forget it because i just didn't want to spend any money, but, in theory, it is possible to put together a stack of books from that site that are not outrageously expensive.

forget about the vintage stuff...me I was thinking along the lines of paying cover or a little under for some Goons in the teens I had not bought and so on...they were like $6-$7, so, after a 50-60% discount....

Surely this guy chuck, knows about this site, these forums, and the bad rap from what I am seeing lately from the members of this forum. My question has he ever posted here? bothered to defend/justify his way of doing business?

Chuck or his employees have read this forum many times, there are some who have been banned from buying from him because of what is written by them.

Surely this guy chuck, knows about this site, these forums, and the bad rap from what I am seeing lately from the members of this forum. My question has he ever posted here? bothered to defend/justify his way of doing business?

Chuck or his employees have read this forum many times, there are some who have been banned from buying from him because of what is written by them.

I hope he reads this now and bans me. He sounds like a real POS. At least the C.S. is terrible, I am glad I did not buy from them.

Chuck is having a interesting promotion right now till Friday, if you spend $50 dollars he will give you a free OBAMA/SPIDER-MAN comic, third or fourth print.

Ahhh, but only for the first 300 customers that order to force a mad dash for buying.

i signed up for the news letter email cause lets face it, its a riot. the sales he offers seem great too, 50 to 80 percent off!! wow, but then if you dig a bit, you see his books at 50 to 80 off are STILL overpriced.