• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finally a 9.8! Care to guess the price?

126 posts in this topic

Well I'm glad i wasnt' the guy who stupidly paid $7k for the 9.6. And yes I thought that was a bit ridiculous. And I think in 2 yrs, there will be at least 3-4 9.8's of this book. Just my opinion tho.

Is this the first 9.8? It only took what? 10 years? If so, I doubt there will be a torrent of them all of a sudden.

Is that hologram sticker in the upper right for real? Is the real sticker underneath that one or does that one replace it?

I am very surprised that CGC allows this type of BS, as the covering of anti-fraud holograms will ultimately hurt their brand and allow greater freedom with fake labels and other scams.

Is that hologram sticker in the upper right for real? Is the real sticker underneath that one or does that one replace it?

I am very surprised that CGC allows this type of BS, as the covering of anti-fraud holograms will ultimately hurt their brand and allow greater freedom with fake labels and other scams.

For once we agree. If CGC allowed that type of labeling then this is one of their more dumbassed ideas in a long time. As if those damned stickers ComicLink puts on the back of their slabs weren't bad enough. This fosters absolutely no desire for me to ever own a Rocky Mountain book. "Look at me, I'm Josh Nathanson."

I HATE they call the Rocky Mountain books a pedigree..

Why Pat?

Lack of information about the pedigree. And the fact that it just appeared in public pre-slabbed. I can understand that it is a nice set of books, but at least other ped's seem to have an interesting story behind them.

I would be happier to own a sweet Sid's Luncheonette book the a Rocky Mountain. And my next guess is that these books were not preserved to their current state. My money goes with pressed books.

Pat, since when does any pedigree come with information, particularly during the first few months it's been divided up for general sale?

While there may certainly be exceptions, word is that the collection is unmanipulated. Why else do you think the 9.4s and 9.6s among the Spideys and FFs went for prices well in excess of GPA norms? Because a number of dealers/collectors are plugging in and heating up their presses is why.

Pat, since when does any pedigree come with information, particularly during the first few months it's been divided up for general sale?

While there may certainly be exceptions, word is that the collection is unmanipulated. Why else do you think the 9.4s and 9.6s among the Spideys and FFs went for prices well in excess of GPA norms? Because a number of dealers/collectors are plugging in and heating up their presses is why.

I really just dont like something about this collection. I remember last year at Javits (heritage maybe?) brought this new collection out, it was the most amazing DC's I had ever seen and believe that they were all highest grade. The story was told to me, but I cant remember it. But they were long collected and just amazing books. And they were not awarded a Pedigree designation. But these books pop up, and Bam. They are the newest ped?

And a few people I have spoken to about pedigrees have stated that there was public knowledge about the books after the find. And it seemed like the info was pretty available.

I just really dont like something about these books. And as far as the books not being pressed. Maybe they arent, maybe they are? I dont know, they just appeared in CGC holders. And C-Link has them all?

I just really don't like something about these books.

Gee, I wonder who what that could be? :whistle:

Im totally at a loss? Not even kidding. Only slept 8 hours the past 3 days, but I really dont get it.

My money goes with pressed books.

Morning Pat. First off, congratulations again!

I have seen some of these books that were purchased before the "big news" as someone local was able to pick up their Richie Rich books. Honestly, they looked like they just came from the distributor, and not even hit the newsstands yet. Extremely bright back covers, flat, with maybe a tiny stress line or two that doesn't break color. Supposedly, it is our elevation out here and how it goes easy on paper.

Now that I live out here, and you are talking about 6,500 to 8,000 feet above sea level, I can see why. You don't have that damp climate that is common on the coastal areas, but it is also murder on the lungs initially. And if you make the mistake of displaying books in a store window, count on they will be bleached out shortly as the sun is very powerful at this height.

For once we agree. If CGC allowed that type of labeling then this is one of their more dumbassed ideas in a long time. As if those damned stickers ComicLink puts on the back of their slabs weren't bad enough. This fosters absolutely no desire for me to ever own a Rocky Mountain book. "Look at me, I'm Josh Nathanson."

Why would I want to pay thousands of dollars for a collectible which I will horde & love for decades but which is emblazoned with a comiclink.com logo on its forehead? Off the point a little, I've never even bought or sold through comiclink.

For that matter, I don't want a Siempre Coca-Cola ad or Just Do It Nike ad on my slab either.

The first thing I do is try to remove the Motor City yellow sticker from the mylar when I buy one of their books. I always cut the tags off of my mattresses, too.

My money goes with pressed books.

Morning Pat. First off, congratulations again!

I have seen some of these books that were purchased before the "big news" as someone local was able to pick up their Richie Rich books. Honestly, they looked like they just came from the distributor, and not even hit the newsstands yet. Extremely bright back covers, flat, with maybe a tiny stress line or two that doesn't break color. Supposedly, it is our elevation out here and how it goes easy on paper.

Now that I live out here, and you are talking about 6,500 to 8,000 feet above sea level, I can see why. You don't have that damp climate that is common on the coastal areas, but it is also murder on the lungs initially. And if you make the mistake of displaying books in a store window, count on they will be bleached out shortly as the sun is very powerful at this height.

Interesting hm

I will PM you about this today. I am interested to hear more.

And thank you! Being a dad is great, not sleeping.. Not a fan.

Try twin boys. The first few years were non-stop zombie-walking as the sleep couldn't happen enough. But once you hit that second year, wow what fun as then they want to impress you with all the talking and teasing. The best experience ever!

I disagree with this grade totally. I know it has been said that the date stamp hurts it and I have to agree. I do not understand how it can be graded a 9.8 with that on the cover?

That date stamps makes it a very questionable grade, and will ultimately hurt the book's potential value.

I disagree with this grade totally. I know it has been said that the date stamp hurts it and I have to agree. I do not understand how it can be graded a 9.8 with that on the cover?

That date stamps makes it a very questionable grade, and will ultimately hurt the book's potential value.

If the label was for sale without the book, it would sell..