• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finally a 9.8! Care to guess the price?

126 posts in this topic

Pat, since when does any pedigree come with information, particularly during the first few months it's been divided up for general sale?

While there may certainly be exceptions, word is that the collection is unmanipulated. Why else do you think the 9.4s and 9.6s among the Spideys and FFs went for prices well in excess of GPA norms? Because a number of dealers/collectors are plugging in and heating up their presses is why.

True. I'm also curious how long it took the other "established" pedigrees to be accepted.

Pat, since when does any pedigree come with information, particularly during the first few months it's been divided up for general sale?

While there may certainly be exceptions, word is that the collection is unmanipulated. Why else do you think the 9.4s and 9.6s among the Spideys and FFs went for prices well in excess of GPA norms? Because a number of dealers/collectors are plugging in and heating up their presses is why.

Pat , Bob is right. And dont forget the extent of the collection has not been released to my knowledge. A good friend of mine even called Josh to inquire about hulks/TTAs and while they did say there were some, thats all they would really say.

Also, the copy's the nicest I've seen.

:signfunny::roflmao:

This must mean that you've seen a nicer copy, Vince, right? Why don't you post the scan of a nicer copy? :baiting:

Any CGC 9.4-9.6 copy WITHOUT that big, ugly, blatant, smeared DATE STAMP on it

Pat , Bob is right. And dont forget the extent of the collection has not been released to my knowledge. A good friend of mine even called Josh to inquire about hulks/TTAs and while they did say there were some, thats all they would really say.

So why would they hold information? This is what I am so confused over.

This must mean that you've seen a nicer copy, Vince, right? Why don't you post the scan of a nicer copy? :baiting:

Maybe they should have repositioned the Rocky Mountain sticker on top of the date stamp. hm

So I take this to mean you haven't found one yet to post that looks nicer. Good luck finding one. I'll help you out by reminding you of the 9.6 that Nik sold on the boards last year, and sold again on the Link for over $6,000. Great looking copy with white pages, but a nasty miswrap on the cover (even at the top but back-to-front at the bottom) and a bindery tear at the top of the spine. The Rocky Mtn. copy looks nicer to me.

So why would they hold information? This is what I am so confused over.

OK, Pat, since you're gonna be sleep-deprived and sucking wind for about the next 4 months or so, let me help you out. This article is from CGC:

Posted by Collectors Society at 12/10/2008

CGC is now recognizing the pedigree Rocky Mountain. All comic books certified from this collection are eligible for the notation “Rocky Mountain” indicating that they were part of this original owner collection. Rocky Mountain, so named because it is from Colorado, contains over 5,000 comic books in high-grade runs of Marvel and DC titles from the 1960’s and up.

The collection is being offered by ComicLink, and they have already sold books from the Amazing Spider-Man, and the Silver/Bronze Age Fantastic Four and X-men runs. According to Josh Nathanson, ComicLink President, “There has been overwhelming collector interest in these comic books, and this is the finest collection we’ve brought to market since we opened in 1996.” The Rocky Mountain Avengers run, along with other runs, is slated to be auctioned by ComicLink in their February sale.

The comic books were stored meticulously for decades in a cool, dry basement, and have bold, newsstand-fresh colors and white or off-white to white pages. There are many Rocky Mountain examples that are the highest certified for their issue. Examples include Amazing Spider-Man #31, Fantastic Four #54, and X-men #39, all of which received CGC grades of 9.8.

Mark Haspel, CGC President and Primary Grader comments, “One of the unique things about the Rocky Mountain pedigree is that there are photographs of it in its original state, making it one of the most thoroughly documented pedigrees. It has long runs of Marvel and DC, and because of their high grades and their market acceptance, this collection certainly has special merit.”

9.8's should not be given out on silber age books with date stamps, 9.6 should be the max

only golden age books with stamps should qualify for a possible 9.8

Why not? Some people love date stamps.

They are just as important as the comic itself in my opinion.

:cloud9:

Is that hologram sticker in the upper right for real? Is the real sticker underneath that one or does that one replace it?

I am very surprised that CGC allows this type of BS, as the covering of anti-fraud holograms will ultimately hurt their brand and allow greater freedom with fake labels and other scams.

For once we agree. If CGC allowed that type of labeling then this is one of their more dumbassed ideas in a long time. As if those damned stickers ComicLink puts on the back of their slabs weren't bad enough. This fosters absolutely no desire for me to ever own a Rocky Mountain book. "Look at me, I'm Josh Nathanson."

Does CGC even have a say so once the slab leaves their office? Does it say anywhere an owner cannot place stickers on their slabs when they sell them?(I honestly don't know and am asking)

Sounds like Josh put them there himself because they were now his books and he thought the sticker looked spiffy.

Nice book btw, and another honest question. Do all Rocky Mtn. books have similar date stamps?

We've only seen the Spiderman, Fantastic Four, and X-Men runs, and almost none of the books sold so far have had date stamps.

Did that 9.8 ASM 50 come from this collection?

That's what the ComicLink newsletter stated the previous month. Here is the pedigree sales mention on some of the books.

================

Fantastic Four and X-men examples from the "Rocky Mountain" Pedigree Collection: One of the many Silver & Bronze Age highlights of this ComicLink Featured Auction are 159 high-grade Fantastic Four and X-men comic books from an incredible, original owner collection that we are now calling the Rocky Mountain Pedigree collection. There are over 5,000 books in this collection, and it is by far the most impressive Silver and Bronze Age collection ever consigned to ComicLink by an original owner since the business was founded in 1996. Many of you are already familiar with the quality of comic books within this collection, because this May and June we auctioned off many of the Original Owner Amazing Spider-Man issues. Across the board, whether they grade out 9.0, 9.4 or 9.8, these issues are newsstand fresh and glossy, with rich colors and either white or off-white to white page preservation. You cannot truly measure the look of them by the grades they were given. They were an incredible sight to behold prior to CGC slabbing and we are, quite frankly, as blown away now as we were when we first laid eyes on them.

=================

We've only seen the Spiderman, Fantastic Four, and X-Men runs, and almost none of the books sold so far have had date stamps.

Yes

Yes

Insane. That's a killer collection. (worship)

So I take this to mean you haven't found one yet to post that looks nicer.

As everyone here knows, I do not collect SA and have no interest in saving scans from that era, but I have seen a few nice 9.4 copies.

Does CGC even have a say so once the slab leaves their office? Does it say anywhere an owner cannot place stickers on their slabs when they sell them?

That's the whole point, as companies usually have guidelines so that their product packaging cannot be manipulated or re-engineered upon resale.

CGC obviously bent to dealer's demands to allow for their own custom stickers, but as these profit-mongers continue to push the envelope, it will be a decision CGC comes to regret.

Is that hologram sticker in the upper right for real? Is the real sticker underneath that one or does that one replace it?

I am very surprised that CGC allows this type of BS, as the covering of anti-fraud holograms will ultimately hurt their brand and allow greater freedom with fake labels and other scams.

For once we agree. If CGC allowed that type of labeling then this is one of their more dumbassed ideas in a long time. As if those damned stickers ComicLink puts on the back of their slabs weren't bad enough. This fosters absolutely no desire for me to ever own a Rocky Mountain book. "Look at me, I'm Josh Nathanson."

I like the hologram. I also like the PCEI stickers on Pacific Coast books. They're both quite fetching.

I like the hologram. I also like the PCEI stickers on Pacific Coast books. They're both quite fetching.

The Pacific Coast stickers are different.

Does CGC even have a say so once the slab leaves their office? Does it say anywhere an owner cannot place stickers on their slabs when they sell them?

That's the whole point, as companies usually have guidelines so that their product packaging cannot be manipulated or re-engineered upon resale.

CGC obviously bent to dealer's demands to allow for their own custom stickers, but as these profit-mongers continue to push the envelope, it will be a decision CGC comes to regret.

Next thing you know, people will be getting slabs signed by comic artists.