• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,382 posts in this topic

rantrant

I've never seen a better made Turtle #1 piece, or a Turtle #1 homage, created by any of the individual artists separately. The fact that it is made by more than one of the artists is a sight to behold.

I can understand why you might be able to look and admire it for a long time, and each time have more appreciation for it. I can't help but feel envious that you've been able to be a catalyst in creating this work of art.

I hope I don't sound too :screwy: by saying that this deserves to be in a museum, and on every true TMNT lovers wall.

(worship) (worship) (worship) (worship)

I made a topic in the modern section but maybe I should have posted it here? Instead of re posting the whole topic, I'll just use a link in case anyone is interested in how to tell if a 2009 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Color Special #1 MISPRINT/ Error Edition is in fact a misprint version while leaving it bagged and boarded! Hope the info is useful to someone!!

Hey guys,

Mark Martin (of TMNT issues #16, 22-23 and Gnatrat fame) has asked me if I'd help get the word out on a recently completed project of his. He's just finished up helping create a new Fantacon book for their centennial issue. While the book isn't really TMNT related, the back cover has been reserved for Mark to do sketches and paintings at pretty reasonable pices of $35-$70. The prices are for one character and he told me much more than 1 character won't likely come out too well in the limited space.

Mark has a VERY unique style and I could see some cool pieces coming out this. Check out his SITE here and simply make a paypal payment for the book and make your request. Easy as that!

Here's your chance to buy xerox copies of these books. I can't believe PGX would grade these if the front runner CGC wouldn't touch these with a 100 foot pole.

Ebay item number 290963948473

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290963948473?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_178wt_1170 :o

It's at $2,025 and the reserve has not been met yet. A week ago this person wanted $24,000 for the pair. Maybe he wanted to know much people are willing to pay for xerox copies. :screwy:

Personally, I remember a time that me and a few other TMNT fans were looking for these books, I mean books as in comic books. You know the ones that go thru a printing press and colors are added to the books. At the time TMNT #1 was going for $400 and Gobbledygook #1 and #2 were also $400 each. That must have been the mid 1990's. No one ever saw the Gobbledygooks, so no one, including myself, didn't know that they were produced by xerox copying them and then hand stapling them by hand. People thought they were actual comic books until 2004? that Mirage publishing came forward and told everyone that these were not printed the traditional way as all comic books were printed, but were photocopies and hand stapled.

I think the Gobbledygook #1 and #2 gained that high price because people thought they were actual comic books, so the price of these books stayed mostly consisted with the TMNT #1 issue first print. Price guides were also consisted with that as well. I don't know why price guides are listing these as comic books and keeping them in the price guides. Are there other photocopies of books being stapled together by hand in the price guides. If there are i would loike to know and just keep quite about Gobbledygook #1 and #2. To bad the artists didn't number them by hand and then signed them. That would have been better like what they did with the Turtlemania gold editions. You can't go wrong with that.

I'm not trying to bash these Gobbledygooks #1 and #2, and they do belong to be part of TMNT universe, but if CGC can't tell if a copy of Gobbledygook #1 or #2 was the actual photocopies that were produced in 1984, I think I will spend my money on something else, like a real comic book for now.

What do you guys think?

Sorry for the rant. I'm usually not like this. :blahblah:

Edited by 4turtles2007

What do you guys think?

I am the owner of the only other set of PGX graded Gobbledygooks. Until these popped up a few days ago, my set was the only graded set in existence. I also own blue and yellow counterfeits along with authenticated original copies, both signed by Kevin and Peter last year. As a TMNT collector, I didn't so much want the graded books in my collection for proof they are real. I wanted them to play a part of the entire collection...as a piece of history. Gobbledygooks are already highly contentious items in the comic book world...having these labeled as the first appearance of the TMNT was argued for years. A set of these getting graded when no one else would made them all the more desirable to me. As stand-alone items, the graded Gobbledygooks are unique but I didn't get them in order to say they were authentic necessarily. I think they are just cool pieces of TMNT history. They're only worth what someone else will pay for them.

Rwhorn. Can you give us a bit of an idea as to how PGX decided these were authentic and how you got them to slab them since CGC won't touch them with a 10 foot poll even with authentication. Do you have some kind of provenance to the books? Did you work for mirage or something? Thanks

Rwhorn. Can you give us a bit of an idea as to how PGX decided these were authentic and how you got them to slab them since CGC won't touch them with a 10 foot poll even with authentication. Do you have some kind of provenance to the books? Did you work for mirage or something? Thanks

I actually bought them after they had been graded. I never got too many details about the "how." I just wanted them as unique pieces for my collection. It would be nice to know how they've determined one is valid over any other. All of my Gobbledygooks (counterfeit or authentic) have differences between them.

PGX caring about authentication? :roflmao:

Rwhorn, so you submiitted them to PGX and they authenticated them. How did PGX know if they were real or not? The leading industry CGC can't authenticate it so they leave it alone. That's why CGC leaves pressing alone as not being restored. They can't authenticate pressing on a consistent level

I think if a collector wants to pay for them as such, don't expect the Gobbledygooks to up in price like regualr comic books over time. It might go the opposite until they reach a nice price level.

mschmidt is correct. :news:

Edited by 4turtles2007

Just for laughs. Here is what I sent the guy who was selling the Gobbledygook #1 and #2 at $24,000 at the time.

I sent him a message thru Ebay's mail system:

"Good luck in selling these Xerox copies. I wouldn't classify these as comic books at all. I wouldn't touch these at all. Time will tell. The guys at the studios screwed up. They should have personaly signed and numbered them by hand. To me their worthless paper they were copied on. Only the original art are worth anything, and this is coming from a TMNT fan. All comic book price guides should delist them as such. Thanks for your time."

And his response:

"Haha funny but these are the real deal. No need to be jealous. And I am also a huge Tmnt fan and know their true value. No need to respond, thanks."

Well guys. "The real deal." I know from personal experience "the real deal" is a CGC 9.8 graded copy of TMNT #1 first print at universal grade, and CGC 9.6 graded copy of Turtlemania Gold at qualified grade. Those are "the real deal."

I'm sorry, but PGX should not authenticate these Gobbledygooks from 1984. If I send a PGX 9.2 graded Gobbledygook #1 to CGC, will CGC give me a graded CGC 9.2 Gobbledybook? I don't think so. They will send it back to you.

Chances are with PGX, they were owned by a person who was friends with the owner of PGX who graded them and said they were authentic. PGX has a history of doing this kind of stuff, check this out: http://www.justafanboy.com/PGX/ I would give serious doubt to the authenticity of those books given the lack of provenance and the severe lack of trust in PGX. I would also hate to see you end up with egg on your face for proclaiming they are real when they are in fact copies (the number of facsimiles is astounding). The only true way to know if a GG is authentic is to have purchased it with provenance, generally going back to a mirage employee of some sort. I know someone with two copies who bought them directly from Eastman so he knows they are authentic.

Just for laughs. Here is what I sent the guy who was selling the Gobbledygook #1 and #2 at $24,000 at the time.

I sent him a message thru Ebay's mail system:

"Good luck in selling these Xerox copies. I wouldn't classify these as comic books at all. I wouldn't touch these at all. Time will tell. The guys at the studios screwed up. They should have personaly signed and numbered them by hand. To me their worthless paper they were copied on. Only the original art are worth anything, and this is coming from a TMNT fan. All comic book price guides should delist them as such. Thanks for your time."

And his response:

"Haha funny but these are the real deal. No need to be jealous. And I am also a huge Tmnt fan and know their true value. No need to respond, thanks."

Well guys. "The real deal." I know from personal experience "the real deal" is a CGC 9.8 graded copy of TMNT #1 first print at universal grade, and CGC 9.6 graded copy of Turtlemania Gold at qualified grade. Those are "the real deal."

I'm sorry, but PGX should not authenticate these Gobbledygooks from 1984. If I send a PGX 9.2 graded Gobbledygook #1 to CGC, will CGC give me a graded CGC 9.2 Gobbledybook? I don't think so. They will send it back to you.

So you emailed a seller to tell him you're not interested in what he's selling? I don't get it.