• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,382 posts in this topic

Just for laughs. Here is what I sent the guy who was selling the Gobbledygook #1 and #2 at $24,000 at the time.

I sent him a message thru Ebay's mail system:

"Good luck in selling these Xerox copies. I wouldn't classify these as comic books at all. I wouldn't touch these at all. Time will tell. The guys at the studios screwed up. They should have personaly signed and numbered them by hand. To me their worthless paper they were copied on. Only the original art are worth anything, and this is coming from a TMNT fan. All comic book price guides should delist them as such. Thanks for your time."

All joking about PGX and their borderline-criminal business practices aside, that was a superbly douchey email to send to the seller. Can't believe he actually replied back as politely as he did - I would have told you to go *spoon* yourself :thumbsup:

It's get me upset because he's trying to sell them for $24,000 to sum sucker with no knowledge of PGX. Like the old saying goes, a fool is born everyday. Then comic books gets a bad rap. Like we need the comics meltdown of the late 1990's all over again. Just saying.

It's get me upset because he's trying to sell them for $24,000 to sum sucker with no knowledge of PGX. Like the old saying goes, a fool is born everyday. Then comic books gets a bad rap. Like we need the comics meltdown of the late 1990's all over again. Just saying.

From your message, it seems like you're upset he's trying to sell these books period - according to you, they're "not comic books at all" and "worthless". Which is a pretty ridiculous statement to make.

I think buyers who can afford to spend $24,000 on a couple comics likely have the mental capacity to take responsibility for their own purchases.

Yeah, to me their worthless I guess. For someone else, they're seeing dollar signes in their eyes. I probably shouldn't have made that "worthless" statement. It's now at $4,050. I guess the reserve is very high. You're right Ryan, It's their money, they can do what they want with it. But, photocopies are not comic books.

It's like high rollers at Las Vegas. They lose millions like it was an after thought.

Edited by 4turtles2007

Not to add fuel to the fire, but when I asked Eastman and Laird directly if they made Gobbledygook BEFORE they printed the turtles they both said "yes". So, I would consider that the first appearance, but that's just me.

^ well that's long been known or at least guessed at. Not sure how its a first appearance when its only an ad. By that logic there would be all sorts of wacky first appearance like More Fun 51 for the Spectre, etc.

Not to add fuel to the fire, but when I asked Eastman and Laird directly if they made Gobbledygook BEFORE they printed the turtles they both said "yes". So, I would consider that the first appearance, but that's just me.

^ well that's long been known or at least guessed at. Not sure how its a first appearance when its only an ad. By that logic there would be all sorts of wacky first appearance like More Fun 51 for the Spectre, etc.

This is exactly why Gobbledygooks are so intriguing for a TMNT collector. It's such a hotly contested book...both in content and authenticity. Fun stuff.

Edited by rwhorn

I'm going to have to disagree with your logic here.

For example, having a silver age DC book with an ad page for the upcoming Brave and the Bold #28 is not considered the the first appearance of the justice league and it's value and significance is not even in the same ball park. Why would it be any different in this scenario.

+1

There are many examples like this throughout the GA, SA, BA, CA, and even modern age.

Gobbledygook holds a bit more cache than just being the maybe first appearance of TMNT. Authentic copies represent the seeds of what would eventually grow into the most significant independent publisher of the 80s and, because there were so few of them, those who have copies own a rare piece of history. But, again, I would be very leery of paying significant money for copies unless they were being handed to me directly by Eastman while he was saying the words, "This is legit, yo."

Gobbledygook holds a bit more cache than just being the maybe first appearance of TMNT. Authentic copies represent the seeds of what would eventually grow into the most significant independent publisher of the 80s and, because there were so few of them, those who have copies own a rare piece of history. But, again, I would be very leery of paying significant money for copies unless they were being handed to me directly by Eastman while he was saying the words, "This is legit, yo."

I hear you. I'm not ignorant to the importance of the authentic Gobbledygook books to Mirage Studios or copper age comic collecting as a whole . I just can't see why they are viewed, by some, as containing the first appearance in comics of the TMNT when it is an ad page. That's all my previous posts were focused on.

^ totally agree with both Ryan and clouded9. They are important books. But not due to the tmnt ad, but rather due to the rarity, the seed of Mirage, the first works of the TMNT creators, etc. Plenty of great reasons to own these wonderful books, but the tmnt angle holds no water.

True, I agree it's not about the first appearance, but more about the history. However, the fact that it is the first time the turtles were printed by the artists and put out there, makes it that much cooler. Calling it a first appearance or not is basically all up the individual and what they consider being that, which leads to a whole other set of opinions and discussion.

The brave and the bold #28 had an ad page just like the TMNT had, an ad page. Just that. So why is it in the same ballpark then. Sounds to me like a speculation market for the Gobbledybook #1 and #2 amongst TMNT fans only. Only TMNT fans have those copies right?

I guess I'm in the minority then as I feel that the first time a character is ever seen in print should be a first appearance. So that would go for Brave and bold and any other ad. I guess I'm just literal with it; if you want to hold a book and see a character for the very first time, then ad or otherwise it should be the first publication you can do that in. I understand that with some characters there might be simultaneous ads/ books with said ads so which is the first? They all are IMO.

And I think you're pretty right that tmnt fans are the ones collecting Gooks for the most part. Like it or not, most hardcore tmnt collectors will probably not feel their collection is complete without them. I know I didn't. Of course, it helps that the central character in both books, the Fugitoid, is also a pretty major character in the tmnt universe so for completionist sake their important for that reason too (but I dare say most people are not paying $$$$ for Fugitoids sake - though I do love that adorable robot!)

I guess I'm in the minority then as I feel that the first time a character is ever seen in print should be a first appearance. So that would go for Brave and bold and any other ad. I guess I'm just literal with it; if you want to hold a book and see a character for the very first time, then ad or otherwise it should be the first publication you can do that in. I understand that with some characters there might be simultaneous ads/ books with said ads so which is the first? They all are IMO.

And I think you're pretty right that tmnt fans are the ones collecting Gooks for the most part. Like it or not, most hardcore tmnt collectors will probably not feel their collection is complete without them. I know I didn't. Of course, it helps that the central character in both books, the Fugitoid, is also a pretty major character in the tmnt universe so for completionist sake their important for that reason too (but I dare say most people are not paying $$$$ for Fugitoids sake - though I do love that adorable robot!)

Doesn't the TMNT ad in CBG #545 precede Gobbledygook #1?

Doesn't the TMNT ad in CBG #545 precede Gobbledygook #1?

It's CBG #547 that has the TMNT #1 ad. I'm not sure if it pre-dates Gobbledygook but it would be close...they were both the same time period. CBG #547 is dated May 11, 1984 and Gobbledygooks are 1984. Both have ads for TMNT #1, which is May, 1984.