• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,273 posts in this topic

Thought, since I don't think I have I'd also share the cels on here as well as my Eastman nightwing sketch.

NoCuy5l.jpg

8k718Gz.jpg

MUq96u1.jpg

The last two are my favorite things I've found at a con. My first ever con was Awesome Con 2014 and I found those and bought them about ten minutes into the show, before I had even had a chance to take in the whole show. Then a year later at Awesome Con 2015, Kevin Eastman as well as all four turtles were present, so I was able to get them all to sign them.

This is what that is. The guy I had bought this from had folded it where the Turtles page was visible in the bag. I folded it back over.

sVCINv.jpg

Not sure about selling, but maybe. PM me if you want to make an offer. I've got pretty much everything Turtles (outside of an original Gobbledygook) I just didn't know this existed until yesterday.

How much for the toes?

My toes are as long as a lot of people's fingers. I constantly pick stuff up with them, and it grosses my girlfriend out for some reason. I picked up the clothes hamper the other day without getting out of my seat with them, and she kept making this "Bleghgh" throw up noise. For mostly that reason, they are not for sale at this time.

A Turtlemania Silver on sale on the bay

turtlemania silver 77

Pretty steep asking price for a Silver but they don't come up for sale very often so...could fill a nice vacancy in someone's collection. Odd that it didn't get the green Qualified label since these are pre-signed and numbered...one of my copies got the green Qualified label.

What I need is a Gold.

Edited by rwhorn

You can request a blue label, but then the sigs will be counted as a defect. That's probably why the grade is so low on that silver.

turtlemania silver 77

Pretty steep asking price for a Silver but they don't come up for sale very often so...could fill a nice vacancy in someone's collection. Odd that it didn't get the green Qualified label since these are pre-signed and numbered...one of my copies got the green Qualified label.

What I need is a Gold.

You can request a blue label, but then the sigs will be counted as a defect. That's probably why the grade is so low on that silver.

Thanks for the clarification. I never really understood why some things get a green label and others not.

Thought, since I don't think I have I'd also share the cels on here as well as my Eastman nightwing sketch.

NoCuy5l.jpg

8k718Gz.jpg

MUq96u1.jpg

The last two are my favorite things I've found at a con. My first ever con was Awesome Con 2014 and I found those and bought them about ten minutes into the show, before I had even had a chance to take in the whole show. Then a year later at Awesome Con 2015, Kevin Eastman as well as all four turtles were present, so I was able to get them all to sign them.

Those are awesome!! (thumbs u

Looking at that copy I'd bet the defect is spine split - I thnk you can see it in the auction picture. Silver copies are notorious for that. Mine has it despite being in the original bag for years and hardly ever touched. At least one other I've seen has it (possibly this one). From memory I've only seen one copy that didn't have it.

turtlemania silver 77

What I need is a Gold.

Looking at that copy I'd bet the defect is spine split - I thnk you can see it in the auction picture. Silver copies are notorious for that. Mine has it despite being in the original bag for years and hardly ever touched. At least one other I've seen has it (possibly this one). From memory I've only seen one copy that didn't have it.

Yep...100% right on this. I just recently got one of my Silver copies SS graded and it came back with a 6.5 SS. One of the grading notes was, "Left Center Spine Split." Not sure about my other copy though (7.0 Qualified). I bought it pre-graded so I don't have the notes for it.

Yep...100% right on this. I just recently got one of my Silver copies SS graded and it came back with a 6.5 SS. One of the grading notes was, "Left Center Spine Split." Not sure about my other copy though (7.0 Qualified). I bought it pre-graded so I don't have the notes for it.

If you bought that 7.0 from me (I dont recall at this point) then yes, it had a spine split.

Do we have any Pre-Mirage Eastman and Laird collectors? I'm about to purge what I believe is the largest private collection of pre-turtles books, and I would like to put them in the hand of a collector if possible.

Hmm

Do we have any Pre-Mirage Eastman and Laird collectors? I'm about to purge what I believe is the largest private collection of pre-turtles books, and I would like to put them in the hand of a collector if possible.

Not really an active collector at this point (of anything in life) but I'd be interested in what you have. No chance of me buying an entire lot but maybe a piece.

It's funny - you/I connected years ago when you were first getting some of the early Turtlemanias. Not sure if you ever saw this post of mine but the collection (Tropic Comics) from which my Silver came is apparently still intact with the original bags etc...This was the store collection I told you about ages ago but it's all there in pictures. My theory is that maybe that Gold #1 of 10 was unique and contained all 3 covers. I never examined it in the store and know one seems to know but that kind of and limited editions was big back then (although I guess it never went away). http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7332117&fpart=413

There was also a guy involved in the Turtlemania production - Don Oropalo or something who did something like 50 or 20 hand colored covers and signed them. This was not official and done only on his own using white cover copies. I was messaging with someone else here who had one but no idea of the origin. Mine is still in storage in FL but hopefully I can retrieve it soon.

Since you are something of a historian I thought I'd share. Amazing how these books languished for years and finally got some attention.

Edited by ChrisFB

Not really an active collector at this point (of anything in life) but I'd be interested in what you have. No chance of me buying an entire lot but maybe a piece.

It's funny - you/I connected years ago when you were first getting some of the early Turtlemanias. Not sure if you ever saw this post of mine but the collection (Tropic Comics) from which my Silver came is apparently still intact with the original bags etc...This was the store collection I told you about ages ago but it's all there in pictures. My theory is that maybe that Gold #1 of 10 was unique and contained all 3 covers. I never examined it in the store and know one seems to know but that kind of and limited editions was big back then (although I guess it never went away). http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7332117&fpart=413

There was also a guy involved in the Turtlemania production - Don Oropalo or something who did something like 50 or 20 hand colored covers and signed them. This was not official and done only on his own using white cover copies. I was messaging with someone else here who had one but no idea of the origin. Mine is still in storage in FL but hopefully I can retrieve it soon.

Since you are something of a historian I thought I'd share. Amazing how these books languished for years and finally got some attention.

First off, is that set of Turtlemanias (Tropic Comics) still together? Do you own it? If not, who owns the set? Thanks for any info. you can provide.

On a related note, I've actually been looking for the hand-colored version of the Turtlemania that Don Oropallo did ever since he contacted me about it over 2 years ago. He was the artist that did the color overlay on the cover but they apparently misspelled his name in the book. Anyway, he sent me a message via my website asking if I was interested in buying his remaining copy of it. I said I was interested but he wanted $1,000 for it. Given that it was really just a Regular Turtlemania he hand-colored I offered him 1/4 of that...and I never heard back from him. Guess I offended him...but at the time I still wasn't totally convinced of its authenticity. Anyone can color on the book and call it "hand-colored"...

PS -I HATE the image verification here. I'm like 2/10

First off, is that set of Turtlemanias (Tropic Comics) still together? Do you own it? If not, who owns the set? Thanks for any info. you can provide.

On a related note, I've actually been looking for the hand-colored version of the Turtlemania that Don Oropallo did ever since he contacted me about it over 2 years ago. He was the artist that did the color overlay on the cover but they apparently misspelled his name in the book. Anyway, he sent me a message via my website asking if I was interested in buying his remaining copy of it. I said I was interested but he wanted $1,000 for it. Given that it was really just a Regular Turtlemania he hand-colored I offered him 1/4 of that...and I never heard back from him. Guess I offended him...but at the time I still wasn't totally convinced of its authenticity. Anyone can color on the book and call it "hand-colored"...

I believe the kaylab who posted it still does. He's a member here. I have the Silver but otherwise he has the Gold/White and Gobbledygooks from Tropic Comics. I would bet Archon Turtle or someone else in this thread would know better but as of my posting it was still in his possession so I gave him the back history on the collection via posts and PMs.

On the hand colored I met Don at a convention in S. Florida. He had a bunch of the hand colored but it was either 20/25/30/50 or something like that but substantially less than silver covers as that was his selling point. I bought one from him as well as a Fantastic Four B&W commemorative poster he did along with the #1 of a hand colored version of said poster. Never seen him again and know of only 1 other hand colored Turtlemanias that someone here used to own.

EDIT - just looked at your link, seems to say 1500 hand colored. Can't be right as he said it was less than silver and even if he jacked up the numbers later to sell more he'd have needed 50% of all whites produced and they were distributed at that point so not possible. Granted he could probably have done more but not that many.

Just to be clear - I grew up in S. Florida and that's where these books originated. I was young at the time and an avid collector during the independent/bronze wave so I know a decent amount about these books but no special inside knowledge. I always wondered what happened to the Tropic books and that #1 of 10 gold so it was awesome to see the collection again.

Edited by ChrisFB

If you bought that 7.0 from me (I dont recall at this point) then yes, it had a spine split.

The Silver #12 I have does not have a spine split :)

The Silver #12 I have does not have a spine split :)

historically, due to extreme rarity and Supply vs Demand, the grade of the silvers and golds have had pretty much zero bearing on value.

EDIT - just looked at your link, seems to say 1500 hand colored. Can't be right as he said it was less than silver and even if he jacked up the numbers later to sell more he'd have needed 50% of all whites produced and they were distributed at that point so not possible. Granted he could probably have done more but not that many.

The picture I linked to was from someone that sent me a pic of one they found at a flea market and were inquiring about the origin. At the time, I was unaware of the colored version of Turtlemania so I just assumed someone had taken the liberty of coloring on a copy and made up some print run numbers to try and add authentication. The sticker was on the book that way when they bought it. I asked Don about the print run of the colored edition since the picture showed 1,500 and this was his response:

One hundred (100) issues were pulled out of 3,000 by the publisher to produce the HAND-COLORED Cover Edition, which was limited to 100 pieces only (NOT the 1500 that the guy you spoke to said was the Limited Issue #'d amount). I personally HAND-COLORED each and every color cover for this limited edition of 100, and copies are unsigned or only initialed "Don O" by me on some of the covers. They are not numbered.