• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,273 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, szavisca said:

Last 9.6 on gpa was the Berk copy in June at $13,800...the jump on this doesn't really make sense, but then I still get dizzy seeing AF 15 3.0s close to 20k.. 7.0s at 100k etc.  

Will be more interesting to see how the next  2 or 3 copies go at auction, to see if this is an anomaly or if the bar has been raised.

As rare as it is in this  grade I'd think it'd be another year before we see that many come up for sale but this result could flush out a few copies.

GPA shows A 9.4 recently went for $9,500 too.

Ok thanks.  Who's Berk btw?

CGC census says 46 in 9.6 total (25 in 9.8, and 70 in 9.4).

23 hours ago, rainmaker said:

oh there we go, i just posted in the tmnt 1 thread.  the current auction is crazy.  

On 11/9/2017 at 10:37 AM, szavisca said:

WOW... I just saw this and came here to post...never thought this would get anywhere near this high.  Happy days for owners of this one.

Now at $26,290 (22K w/ buyer's premium).  :whatthe:

And a few lower grade copies between clink and cconnect.  I've imagined at some point this book was going to experience a major jump perhaps that's what's happening now.  It's the perfect storm of mega key, limited availability and demand. The 9.6 looks nice but it's past the point of overpaying and hoping for a press and resub.

being heritage I would imagine the bids are legit.

On 11/11/2017 at 11:07 AM, szavisca said:

Ok this has truly entered the realm of the absurd... why aren't these clowns just buying that 9.8?...I wonder if we'll find out after the fact that the winning bidder backs out or wasn't legit, etc.  This just seems unreal (but boy I'm crossing my fingers that it is real...)

The 9.6 on HA Just closed at the same $26,290.  Very big day for TMNT #1 valuations.  We'll see if price confirmation comes in other higher-grade copies when they are for sale.

Edited by GM8

9 hours ago, szavisca said:

Looks like yesterday someone put in a 10k offer on the 9.4 available as a BIN on HA.  Probably won't know for a few days if that sale actually goes through but I presume the CL one goes over 10k easy now... we'll find out tomorrow.

You're right.  Well this is certainly a trend now.  We'll see if the CL one catches up.  I know HA gets extra from both sides but is it your experience that HA always commands the highest prices?  

And I just noticed that both the HA and CL 9.4's have OW/W pages which usually command around 20% less than White pages.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-first-printing-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7039-91197.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by GM8

10 hours ago, szavisca said:

$7,600!...that seems almost impossibly low.  Wonder if internet lag messed up peoples snipes....or if the book has come crashing back down.  Man...this result makes about as much sense as the 26k 9.6 did to me...

Previous one on Ebay sold for $7566 on 10/16.  The HA 9.4 for $10,000 was offer received so until that is closed then this is the right price range for the 9.4's.

Back-of-the-napkin math for a 9.4 for me would come close to the $10K price based on the last 9.6.  Here's how I get there: 9.6 White pages price was $26+K.  Half that for the next lower grade is $12+K, then a discount of 20% for OW/W pages brings to just above $10K.  But that's just my math.  Real price is what people pay and so we're somewhere around $7600 until the HA 9.4 offer closes.

just checked the 9.4... 7600 eh?  well wish i was there to snipe this one.  any 9.4 in the 7k-8k range is a buy in my opinion.  as those of us that grew up on the turtles get older and more established financially this book in high grade (all grades) is going to go up in value like a V rocket.  definitely curious price spreads during this auction cycle.  Heritage has a 9.8 in their next big auction.  Stoked to see where it hammers.

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

I could be wrong but I think ccs wouldn't press these till a few years ago.  

I never heard this ? There's another magazine size book that CGC would not grade until recently because of counterfeits.  Maybe you are thinking of that ?

11 minutes ago, szavisca said:

2 years ago I used to sub books through my LCS.  I tried to have them send a copy of TMNT #1 to ccs first first for a press but the LCS owner told me ccs told them they wouldn't press magazine size books valued over $1,000.  

The LCS owner could have been wrong or inept but I took him at his word at the time.

Interesting. I've never had a magazine pressed before. Perhaps there is some risk.

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think a lot of magazines don't have staples, meaning they have other ways of keeping the book together that will be affected by the humidification of pressing, imo. 

Makes sense. The same should go for square bounds where glue holds the book to the cover. I've told the story before that years ago a pre-CCS Matt Nelson used to show up at conventions. For a nominal fee he would review your books while you waited for good pressing candidates. He rejected a square bound saying they should not be pressed as the heat affects the glue. Other Board pressers now say it is okay but I still wonder as the logic still makes sense. I've seen some bad examples where the spine is completely smooshed, not so much 'square' anymore but flat. Looks pretty ugly to me.