• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

I find it interesting how many people are keeping their collections to pass onto their kids. I always liked the idea of my kids having my collection but figured that the chances that any of them would be interested enough to keep the collection were very slim so I left instructions with my wife on how to best sell the collection if I died and none of the kids were interested in keeping it. One of my daughters is interested in Spider Man and Hulk (and other characters that I show her) but it's still a long shot that she'll end up as a serious collector in the future.

It's a bit of a moot point now that all my books are up for sale but I'm interested in how others see the idea of handing down a collection to their children.

I don't have kids.

I will have a coffin made out of my slabs :)

I find it interesting how many people are keeping their collections to pass onto their kids. I always liked the idea of my kids having my collection but figured that the chances that any of them would be interested enough to keep the collection were very slim so I left instructions with my wife on how to best sell the collection if I died and none of the kids were interested in keeping it. One of my daughters is interested in Spider Man and Hulk (and other characters that I show her) but it's still a long shot that she'll end up as a serious collector in the future.

It's a bit of a moot point now that all my books are up for sale but I'm interested in how others see the idea of handing down a collection to their children.

But thats exactly what I am saying. I can't see them being interested in keeping a huge collection of say 10000 comics but they may appreciate being left a very valuable first appearance of Spider-man, Avengers, Batman etc. It would also take the pressure of them needing to find out what to do with a large collection as it would be a much smaller, better defined collection that would be easy to gather interest in. :)

I don't have kids.

(worship)

But thats exactly what I am saying. I can't see them being interested in keeping a huge collection of say 10000 comics but they may appreciate being left a very valuable first appearance of Spider-man, Avengers, Batman etc. It would also take the pressure of them needing to find out what to do with a large collection as it would be a much smaller, better defined collection that would be easy to gather interest in. :)

Very good points. Would they get interested in the expensive comics though if there weren't the reader comics to read and hook them in?

Very good points. Would they get interested in the expensive comics though if there weren't the reader comics to read and hook them in?

I'm always going to have raw books and trades for them to read as they grow up...

My assumption is they won't care when the time comes. :cry:

As they grow up, If they show an interest then I will help them build there own collection. In fact Noah has his own short box filled with around 100 books and his own pull list with John S :insane:

I'm always going to have raw books and trades for them to read as they grow up...

My assumption is they won't care when the time comes. :cry:

As they grow up, If they show an interest then I will help them build there own collection. In fact Noah has his own short box filled with around 100 books and his own pull list with John S :insane:

How old is your Noah?

I don't have kids.

:signfunny:

Message to self, Make friends with Chris, make sure you're invited to his funeral, return back after hours and dig up slabs :whistle:

I've got two boys, 3 and 7 respectively and they are both superhero mad. They have their own comics and love visiting the lcs where the owner makes a fuss of them, they loved FCBD and understand that Daddy has boxes and boxes of comics.

Even with all that, I'm not sure they will want my collection when I kick the bucket. I just think by the time they are even teenagers it will be second nature to just download whatever entertainment they require onto whichever piece of technology is flavour of the month at the time.

I will probably sell off most of my collection in the next few years, and like Gaz, perhaps just hang onto the uber keys.

I will always love comics, and if my kids do as well that's great, but I'm starting to think those thirty shortboxes that I never get a chance to look in aren't doing anyone any good at the moment.

This discussion has actually focused my thinking on this, to the point where I might seriously start thinking about changing the way I collect. I'll never not buy or read comics, but my collection is starting to feel like a bit of a burden. A couple of years ago the thought of selling even one book would have filled me with horror, now i'm not so sure. hm

Anyone else ever feel the same way?

Yes, I could've been a lot, lot more selective with the moderns I've purchased, mainly thinking about the 80s and 90s stuff here, but many of these books will be kept in my collection.  I don't punish myself too harshly, believing it's always better to say that it was right for me at the time, but eventually your tastes and focus do evolve- nothing wrong with that, or being comfortable with  leaving something behind when it's run its course.   Happened to me fairly recently with new comics.  I applied this mantra, with no regrets since.

Luckily I stopped buying moderns a couple of years ago. Then, like Garry, I decided to hang onto the Marvel keys and start the process of sorting out 50,000 or so comics, magazines and pulps to sell.

It is a slow process as motivation to scan and grade is sometimes hard to come by and then when it does life tends to get in the way. Fortunately the krappy British weather has meant that I have managed to get a fair few books sorted out and once you start to sell it becomes an easy process.

Hi guys, put the message out via the sales pm but just thought I'd add a note here that Iv added 19 SA ASM books to my sales list. Some have scans but not all yet but will endeavour to add more or pictures if I can't get the bloody thing to work. Please PM me for any details and offers on single or multi deals. Reluctant to get rid of some of these nice books but just can't afford a spidey run and my current Avengers HG run which is taking priority. Hope thats ok and as always I'll do whatever I can to help so just send me a pm. :)

Edited by PsychoJ

Iv sent you a pm for Fox, all the details are in the sales pm though if you want a better look

His not on the list of participants foe June as he returned just after it was all set up... he is on the list for July though (thumbs u

Hi chaps, sorry to interupt (perhaps I should contribute to this UK thread myself, but I'm far too dull) - I have a few artists and characters I need help identifying please - your help wold be very much appreciated... thank you

These are all from a very limited "Archie Goodwin" portfolio released at UKCAC 1998. They are all British artists.

Who is the artist? Dave... McKean????

UKCAC98AGDave.jpg

UKCAC98AGDavesig.jpg

Who is the artist? Will....

And who are the sad looking characters in front of Batman?

UKCAC98AGBatman.jpg

UKCAC98AGBatmansig.jpg

Who is this character?

UKCAC98AGBucks.jpg

Who is this artist?

UKCAC98AGHawk.jpg

many thanks :)

Ewan