• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

hm

I also have comics with this book stamp on, I looked for the shop probably in the early 1980s and it was not there. I dont know when it closed. Back in those days, Westgate road was full of second hand shops selling all kinds of junk, occasionally you could get a few comics.

i wish i knew prices better, i went to Manchester today and there's a shop called Paramount Books which has a ton of random raw copies, 3 Howard The Duck #1's, if anyone is near its worth a look

i wish i knew prices better, i went to Manchester today and there's a shop called Paramount Books which has a ton of random raw copies, 3 Howard The Duck #1's, if anyone is near its worth a look

I've got a whole run of Howard the Duck I'm looking to offload lol

oh i wasn't interested in buying them, he was selling them at £2 each, not awful condition and he stores them in bags, he had some giant sized, pocket books and some 100 pagers too but the prices of those were higher

Just you wait until the HTD film reboot comes out next year.

i alledgedly cried at the first one, my mother decided that since it had a duck on the case that it was appropriate for a 2 year old to watch alone

i alledgedly cried at the first one, my mother decided that since it had a duck on the case that it was appropriate for a 2 year old to watch alone

A lot of people cried when they saw that film.

A lot of people cried when they saw that film.

i haven't re-watched it but not many of the 80's comic films were a success, Batman.....anything else?

I always appreciate it when someone gives me a lead on comic books but, unfortunately, I steer clear of Paramount Book Exchange because of the following experience.

In the 90s they held occasional sales where huge stacks of comic books would be put out at the front of the shop, all priced 25p.  Most of it was drek / mid grade, but you could find the odd BA book, stuff like Astonishing Tales, Fear - Deathlok, Morbius appearances.

I went in very early one morning when a sale was on, the shop was empty, and the younger of the two brothers was there 'managing'. I knew I'd been identified on previous visits as a collector, and I recall him rushing up to me predatorily, in a bit of a frenzy, demanding...

'Although these are all marked 25p, I'm charging you 50 each!'

Thought it was a bit infantile and desperate, felt quite sorry for him and I just replied..

'Well, that was suicidal, wasn't it?'

Turned my back and walked out.  Yes, seventeen years ago, never been there since.

I always appreciate it when someone gives me a lead on comic books but, unfortunately, I steer clear of Paramount Book Exchange because of the following experience.

In the 90s they held occasional sales where huge stacks of comic books would be put out at the front of the shop, all priced 25p.  Most of it was drek / mid grade, but you could find the odd BA book, stuff like Astonishing Tales, Fear - Deathlok, Morbius appearances.

I went in very early one morning when a sale was on, the shop was empty, and the younger of the two brothers was there 'managing'. I knew I'd been identified on previous visits as a collector, and I recall him rushing up to me predatorily, in a bit of a frenzy, demanding...

Thought it was a bit infantile and desperate, felt quite sorry for him and I just replied..

Turned my back and walked out.  Yes, seventeen years ago, never been there since.

i'd have done the same, its a shame really because it not easy to find shops which sell single issues like this anymore, there's no way to find a hidden gem at a comic book shop

all the comics are still at the front of the shop too, looks like he couldn't be bothered moving them back

Edited by Maccai3

That is the lamest example of comic book guy behavior I have ever heard. Not to mention that it is completely illegal to do that.

What a wanker! :facepalm:

:roflmao: Exactly.

Only in such comic shops would you ever get that sort of absurdly unprofessional behaviour, although that really is beyond the pale.

Good move on leaving that place and not letting temptation draw you back.

Only in such comic shops would you ever get that sort of absurdly unprofessional behaviour, although that really is beyond the pale.

Man what a :/ I would have walked out never to return as well. One thing I can't stand is poor customer services. I believe the customer is always right and every customer is worth taking a loss on if it means return purchases. Too many poor service/business people are only in it for the quick buck and luckily don't often last long in any industry. Unfortunately we retail in a business that means, for the right book, most people re willing to risk such poor customer service (shrug)

Man what a :/

Too many poor service/business people are only in it for the quick buck and luckily don't often last long in any industry. (shrug)

Paramount has been there ages.

It was the first place I chanced upon during  my first visit to Manchester looking for comics, autumn 78.  I suppose that's its only significance now, as a bit of a marker of transition away from just buying comics from newsagents in my hometown.  Reminds me of a time when access to comic books was still very restricted and unpredictable here.

I have to pass the shop on occasion when I'm heading towards the Arndale Centre, and the last time I did this the guy was standing outside, looking in at the window display. I felt very content thinking about how far I've gone over the last 35 years or so, and how small,  irrelevant and disposable the shop and its owners seem now.  I enjoyed continuing on my way unnoticed, leaving the situation behind.  That was good, believe me.

Man what a :/ I would have walked out never to return as well. One thing I can't stand is poor customer services. I believe the customer is always right and every customer is worth taking a loss on if it means return purchases. Too many poor service/business people are only in it for the quick buck and luckily don't often last long in any industry. Unfortunately we retail in a business that means, for the right book, most people re willing to risk such poor customer service (shrug)

Well, on the one hand we have poor customer service.

On the other hand we have A-hole customers.

I've dealt with bad dealers before but when I worked Saturdays in my LCS (I did it for free and to sift through back issues) the amount of regular customers and walkins who were complete morons were unbelievable.

I'll tell a few stories when I get time. This comes from the guy who owned the place as well.

Not just customers either... some of the industry guys were also as bad!

Yeah, I think that anyone who has sold at comic shows before has encountered many kinds of customers. Lots of rude and/or ignorant people buying comics out there.