• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

Yep, Mo, Wiggins and Ennis are more than likely to pick up titles.

Not in my opinion. MBE, OBE, sure. But I think it's crazy to hand out knighthoods for one successful year. Of your list, Wiggins deserves the most recognition.

Look at Beckham and all he's done to raise the profile of English sport for the last 15 years - no knighthood. Ditto Johnny Wilkinson, a world cup winner.

I'm not saying that what our athletes have achieved isn't admirable, and I expect all our gold medallists will get MBEs, but none of them deserve to be knighted... yet.

Not in my opinion. MBE, OBE, sure. But I think it's crazy to hand out knighthoods for one successful year. Of your list, Wiggins deserves the most recognition.

Look at Beckham and all he's done to raise the profile of English sport for the last 15 years - no knighthood. Ditto Johnny Wilkinson, a world cup winner.

I'm not saying that what our athletes have achieved isn't admirable, and I expect all our gold medallists will get MBEs, but none of them deserve to be knighted... yet.

I think you'll find that Wiggins has had more than one successful year.

Mo has been fantastic but Brad's Olympic Gold, Tour de France win and the wins he's had in all the other road races this year should make him Sports Personality of the Year.

At least the BBC should have a few women on the list this year.

Kelly Holmes got made a Dame for winning two golds in one Olympics (and nothing else). Chris Hoy got a knighthood for winning three.

If Holmes and Hoy got titles, who's to say that Farah, who is in every way an equal to them, doesn't deserve one either? As for Ennis, she, like Holmes before her, has Lord Coe's patronage and was the so-called "face of the games". She's in with a shout of damehood too.

I suppose the BBC want to get their money's worth out of Lineker but it's embarrassing to watch him on TV.

thankfully ITV have no coverage and we dont have to see the worst pundit ever Adrian Chiles

I suppose the BBC want to get their money's worth out of Lineker but it's embarrassing to watch him on TV.

thankfully ITV have no coverage and we dont have to see the worst pundit ever Adrian Chiles

He's not a pundit, he's an anchorman.

either way he's awful :insane:

either way he's awful :insane:

He's not all that, true. :grin:

Kelly Holmes got made a Dame for winning two golds in one Olympics (and nothing else). Chris Hoy got a knighthood for winning three.

If Holmes and Hoy got titles, who's to say that Farah, who is in every way an equal to them, doesn't deserve one either? As for Ennis, she, like Holmes before her, has Lord Coe's patronage and was the so-called "face of the games". She's in with a shout of damehood too.

Yes, and I disagree with Holmes and Hoy's awards too. Like I say, I'm not saying they deserve no recognition whatsoever, but I think knighthoods and damehoods are WAY over the top, especially when you consider the other potentially deserving candidates with longer track records of success.

I don't believe that because this happened in the past it should carry on - why not knight Greg Rutherford as well? Why not all our other gold medallists? The Games have been a huge success, and we've had some outstanding performances, but I don't think we should be going overboard.

Knighthoods and damehoods are close to the highest civilian honours that the country can award, and they should be treated that way. These guys DO deserve honours, and I hope they get them... just not those ones.

I think you'll find that Wiggins has had more than one successful year.

Mo has been fantastic but Brad's Olympic Gold, Tour de France win and the wins he's had in all the other road races this year should make him Sports Personality of the Year.

At least the BBC should have a few women on the list this year.

I don't follow cycling, and having looked Wiggins up on wikipedia I can see that you're right (I knew about the TDF and his London gold already of course, and that's why I said he was perhaps the most deserving).

No issue at all with Sports Personality of the Year - although my money's on Ennis - you wouldn't hear me complaining if he won that. But, per my post above, not a knighthood.

Just to reiterate, I am NOT a Wiggins hater (or anyone else we've mentioned) - these guys are great and have done the country proud. But that doesn't mean we should knight them.