• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

Adam Hughes is self taught, so that's why I believe he's a key example.  

Others like Frazetta and Kirby had formal, college-level art training from quite an early age.

I know my limitations.  I have problems both with visualising objects in three dimensions and how to then transfer that to the creation of a drawn image.

One of the main reasons I admire great comic book artists.

I have no problem visualising what I want to do.

Translating that onto the page on how its in my head is another matter!

But if I could get upto drawing from imagination to the same level as my recreations then I would be very happy!

But if I could get upto drawing from imagination to the same level as my recreations then I would be very happy!

Have you tried using one of the wooden mannequin?

Mannequin

When I was doing sketches, I used one and it really helps.

Have you tried using one of the wooden mannequin?

Mannequin

When I was doing sketches, I used one and it really helps.

i'm looking at getting this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARTICULATED-CARVED-WOODEN-RIGHT-HAND-ARTIST-MANNEQUIN-HAND-FINGERS-/130676598887?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D230764902744%26ps%3D54

i have trouble with hands [/Liefeld]

if the Hot Toys had articulated hands they'd be awesome reference, shame about the price

Dude you should post some of your artwork here so I can see what you've done :)

only one i can find is this..

http://freepicupload.com/images/355IMG00264_20120613_1959.jpg

i'll upload more but the camera is in the bedroom and the kiddie is asleep

Thats excellent.... did you do that freehand from your own imagination or is that from reference?

I thought I'd get some opinions before proceeding.

I've done the outline on the Nick Fury #1... my question regarding original art is, do they add the shading to the piece as well or is it left at simply the outline?

In the below pic, I need to re-ink it as the pen ran out and the lines are weak after erasing the pencils, its needs touch up as well.

Usually my next task is to add all the shading in like I've done with all the previous.... what do you guys think?

NickFury1Outline.jpg

I've done the outline on the Nick Fury #1... my question regarding original art is, do they add the shading to the piece as well or is it left at simply the outline?

In the below pic, I need to re-ink it as the pen ran out and the lines are weak after erasing the pencils, its needs touch up as well.

Usually my next task is to add all the shading in like I've done with all the previous.... what do you guys think?

NickFury1Outline.jpg

pencillers add the shading and inkers generally have the task of seemlessly turning black into white with ink that can only be black

the picture up there is kind of half and half in terms of done by head and copied, i have somewhat of a good memory for pictures and i did it from my head from a photo of a statue, i also try a variation of styles so i'll come back with more

i wish i had a scanner

NickFury1Outline.jpg

Very nice picture - as usual :applause:

Love seeing all the artwork posted and I'm lucky enough to have a Bane original in hand. I just wondered if there was a dedicated thread for budding penciliers where they can swap ideas and post pics etc? Or should we start one?

Love seeing all the artwork posted and I'm lucky enough to have a Bane original in hand. I just wondered if there was a dedicated thread for budding penciliers where they can swap ideas and post pics etc? Or should we start one?

there's one on the General section, i recommend these...

http://www.smudgeguard.com/

stop you're pages getting too messy (thumbs u

Guys, a favour please.

If you're in your LCS this week, can you PM me and let me know if they have

Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe #4?

Either Diamond UK are lying to me or they messed up big time

& didn't place the initial order with Diamond USA.

Either way these are going to be next to impossible to find over here by

the looks of it.

Guys, a favour please.

If you're in your LCS this week, can you PM me and let me know if they have

Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe #4?

Either Diamond UK are lying to me or they messed up big time

& didn't place the initial order with Diamond USA.

Either way these are going to be next to impossible to find over here by

the looks of it.

Buddy of mine who does mail order says he's received his order of them no problem. (thumbs u