• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

Shows are a lot of work and a lot of money to put out for an uncertain return. Apart from the table fee's there's also petrol cost, the need for a large enough vehicle, possibly the need for a second person to man the tables if you're hoping to do a lot of trade or check out the show yourself. Parking and loading/unloading is no fun. When I used to sell, I remember seeing most new guys turn up once and never seeing them again, selling at shows is something that you learn to do better after you've done it a few times.

I don't blame you for going with eBay as it does take a lot of the effort out but the fees and poor treatment of sellers by eBay are off-putting for me.

What has put me off selling at shows is the cost to setup and also to get the stuff to the show, unpack, pack back up again etc,etc.

I am trying to shift as much as I can as soon as I can through eBay while its still reasonable to do so.

Yeah you've also got to take into account things like petrol, parking and food when looking at setting up at a show.

On the plus side you often get to check out the other tables before it gets too busy and can sometimes stumble upon the odd bargain.

Shows are a lot of work and a lot of money to put out for an uncertain return. Apart from the table fee's there's also petrol cost, the need for a large enough vehicle, possibly the need for a second person to man the tables if you're hoping to do a lot of trade or check out the show yourself. Parking and loading/unloading is no fun. When I used to sell, I remember seeing most new guys turn up once and never seeing them again, selling at shows is something that you learn to do better after you've done it a few times.

I don't blame you for going with eBay as it does take a lot of the effort out but the fees and poor treatment of sellers by eBay are off-putting for me.

I think Gaz has covered things off quite nicely :applause:

Hello, Pence Variant Basement! My first post on here (apart from the Comic Room thread) and I walk into a discussion of my fave band ... The Stranglers! How great is that? :)

Saw them live for the first time in 1980.

Done well in past selling 50 comics for £20 on eBay so just go back that way

There's no harm in offering stuff on the boards, at least it's all free.

One tactic I use when selling my dollar drek on flea bay is to offer incentives for buying multiple books.

I tend to list about a hundred at a time (Usually on free listing weekend) Price them at 99p but usually offer something like buy 3 and get a 4th free. On average I shift 30 or so, then use the initial contact to try and sell the buyer some of my non-drek books. I'll often chuck in a random book which generated zero interest as long as it doesn't increase the postage cost. It's surprising how many repeat sales I get just from giving away an unexpected freebie or two...

If you continue using eBay to bulk sell, I'd recommend investing in some software to manage your listings. I use a Mac and find Garagesale to be a godsend in creating high volume listings.

I've tried selling a few books on these boards but unless the books are in demand, the shipping cost makes transatlantic sales a futile affair.

You could always pull together a spreadsheet of your stock and ask if any of the UK boardies want to see it rather than touting your books piecemeal on the boards.

Message sent Neil, well coming to end of sorting boxes of mine and came across Secret wars 8, x men 100 and tales to astonish 64 in great condition

Did you buy those Daredevil comics?

Message sent Neil, well coming to end of sorting boxes of mine and came across Secret wars 8, x men 100 and tales to astonish 64 in great condition

Did you buy those Daredevil comics?

nope never heard back from him, im after a lot on ebay now 5500+ comics and tpb's, started £500, BIN is £700, asked for a list, collection only from Liverpool so has to be worth it

haha, better delete him from my Ipod before the meal, anyway how hard is it for a Englishman to get rid of drek in the selling forum doh! cant believe i finally started selling on Ebay and they have restrictions for new sellers, it has cheesed me right off.

Are you going to list anything else in your selling thread?

haha, better delete him from my Ipod before the meal, anyway how hard is it for a Englishman to get rid of drek in the selling forum doh! cant believe i finally started selling on Ebay and they have restrictions for new sellers, it has cheesed me right off.

Are you going to list anything else in your selling thread?

nope, no one really will bite at cheap comics, i am putting a database together though so if any of you lot where its cheaper to post are interested then i can quickly forward it over