• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The top "5" Alex Schomburg covers in your opinion are???

49 posts in this topic

When it comes to Schomburg, I always say the earlier the better. I like his simpler more refined covers, vs. the busier ones he cranked out in the latter part of the GA.

^^

Along those lines...

This one would probably only get one vote: mine. But Overstreet lists it as a classic, and it is Schomburg's earliest work for Nedor. To me, it oozes Golden Age. That, and I like showing it off every chance I get: :grin:

thrillingcomics7cgc90f.jpg

absolutely fabulous. i LOVE the book. wow.

When it comes to Schomburg, I always say the earlier the better. I like his simpler more refined covers, vs. the busier ones he cranked out in the latter part of the GA.

^^

Along those lines...

This one would probably only get one vote: mine. But Overstreet lists it as a classic, and it is Schomburg's earliest work for Nedor. To me, it oozes Golden Age. That, and I like showing it off every chance I get: :grin:

Me too. There is absolutely something special about Schomburg up till about the late 1940 range...the women are beautiful...look at the way the suit flows on the bad guy.

Just killer.

^^

Along those lines...

Me too. There is absolutely something special about Schomburg up till about the late 1940 range...the women are beautiful...look at the way the suit flows on the bad guy.

Just killer.

I think like most artists, Schomburg's worked "suffered" a little with success. Granted, he had been a commercially successful artist for over a decade before his venture into comics, but I think he had more freedom to be artistically sincere and expressive in the earliest years of his work.

By 1942 or so, Timely especially just wanted him to follow the same formula of "death by detail" to maximize sales. His Nedor work stayed closer to his earlier covers in my opinion then the Timely stuff did, with fewer characters and less cluttered covers.

^^

Along those lines...

Just killer.

I think like most artists, Schomburg's worked "suffered" a little with success. Granted, he had been a commercially successful artist for over a decade before his venture into comics, but I think he had more freedom to be artistically sincere and expressive in the earliest years of his work.

By 1942 or so, Timely especially just wanted him to follow the same formula of "death by detail" to maximize sales. His Nedor work stayed closer to his earlier covers in my opinion then the Timely stuff did, with fewer characters and less cluttered covers.

To me that cover is up there with his earliest Marvel Mystery covers.

^^

Along those lines...

Just killer.

To me that cover is up there with his earliest Marvel Mystery covers.

I always knew i liked your taste in books Roy. :foryou:

Now, good luck finding one. There are four copies in the census, total. The Mile High 9.6 isn't going anywhere. My copy is probably one of the last books I'd ever sell. The next is the Crippen 6.0 which sold for 2X+ Guide a few years ago, and a restored 3.0. Doesn't turn up often raw either.

terrific5gd-1.jpg

I love his covers where there are two levels of actions. Like this Terrific 5, Suspense 3, and several other Nedor and Timely books.

The Suspense Comics #1 was very similar to Suspense #3. Charles Quinlan did the cover art for #1. I wonder if that cover is where Schomburg was inspired to do so many in a similar way. Anybody know? Can anybody tell me when he started this type of covers?

Suspense1.jpg

Not necessarily in this order.

All Select #1

All Select #2

Marvel Mystery #4

Suspense #3

Terrific #5

hm

Of course there's....

USA #7

Human Torch #8

Startling #49

Exciting #39

Captain America #37

Real Life #3

Thrilling #41

America's Best #7

and.......

Was this a trick question?

A nearly impossible task to narrow to five.I'm in the same boat as Bill and Roy finding his earliest work the most appealing.I could easily just choose Marvel 3-7 or spread my choices over different titles like..

Daring Mystery 1

Marvel Mystery 5

Captain America 3

USA 7

Mystic 2

but with his later work it would be impossible to ignore the likes of..

Marvel Mystery 46

Captain America 31

Exciting 30

Startling 49

Terrific 5

:frustrated: I give up. I could surely come up with a list that tops a hundred,and I'm out to get them all some day.