• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2400 CGC books on ebay....

44 posts in this topic

I did a search on eBay earlier today, and it returned 2400 CGC items. Now its back up to 2700 or so, but still well off the Summer months of 4,000+ CGC books at any given time.

Sellers, are you hibernating?

Buyers, are you cash strapped?

Let's just do an informal assessment of what our mindset toward buying and selling is heading into the Holidays and New Year. For myself, I just bought several choice books, and have committed to buying two others, so my emphasis will be on selling off some of my collection in the coming months to make amends for the new purchases.angel.gif

The only real exception to the rule will be: books I can flip quick or an irrestible book I just can't pass up (as long as the seller takes Paypal!). What about everyone else? And I encourage the normal lurkers and lookers-on to participate, regardless of whether you buy certified or raw books; what's your outlook on purchasing/selling during the next few weeks?

No one wants to stand in line at the post office in December...it's gonna be bad this week, worse next week. Also, volume typically goes down around X-mas as both buyers and sellers are busy travelling, spending time with family, X-masing, etc.,.

Hmmm...I don't think it's wonky, but that's probably b/c I don't know what wonky means. Although it looks ok to me, I believe the mega-link for the ebay search results posted above by 14-of-spades may be widening the appearance of the post for some.

Hint - when you enter a web link using the instant UBB code boxes, the first "entry" you complete is for the web address, but the second is your "title" for that address. For example, I would just link the auctions like this - +superman%2c+action%2c+detective%2c+flash%2c+wonder+woman%2c+showcase%2c+green+lantern%2c+sub+mariner%2c+captain+america%29&ht=1&currdisp=2&itemtimedisp=1&category2=66&combine=y&from=R9'>lots of auctions!

In my column for CBG ('Eye on eBay') I've been tracking volume of CGC auctions for about the last year and a half. Volume HAS increased a bit the last few weeks.

I do searches for completed CGC auctions each week. When I first started a typical 2 weeks completed auction search returned around 6200 auctions. Gradually over the course of about 6 months the volume increased to as much as 9000 auctions for 2 weeks. The next 6 months saw a gradual fall off to about 7000 auctions. Then this summer we saw a precipitous decline to as few as 4200 auctions. Then there was a gradual recovery to a steady level of about 5400 auctions and now a rather sudden jump up to 7000 or more auctions.

The percent of auctions actually getting bids has held remarkably steady over the entire time period at around 60 percent of actual CGC auctions or about 50 percent of my initial 'CGC' search. (I eliminate auctions for multiple books, CGC keyword spam auctions, and auctions where I just can't figure out what the @@~! they are selling).

I expect a seasonal dip in volume for about the next 6 weeks followed by a rise. Increasing volume the last 3 or 4 weeks has actually been a pleasant surprise for me. Hope it continues. smile.gif

Interesting stuff! Any idea what the % of overall comic auctions getting bids is? And/or the % of NON-CGC auctions getting bids?

Sorry, I only track CGC auctions.....

Hmmmm...

Come to think of it, I might be able to use my software to count 'no-bid' auctions on the comics section in general. I'll check tonight to see if it is possible.

The percent of auctions actually getting bids has held remarkably steady over the entire time period at around 60 percent of actual CGC auctions or about 50 percent of my initial 'CGC' search.

Does this take out bids on Reserve auctions that are not met?

Everyone bids on those, without fear of ever buying the book in question. grin.gif

Well I would not say that I am your typical collector if there is such a thing, but I seriously doubt I will purchase and books throught the internet over the next 3-4 weeks. Reasons are as one would suspect over the holidays. One flying home, plane ticket = $575 (well there goes my Bats 232 in HG), X-mas presents est. $800 (I'm single or it would be worse) (there goes my HOS 92 in HG). Add to the fact that I will not be home to receive and books for about a month, I dont leave for 2 weeks but if I bought today it might not get here in time. Another reason is Boxing day sales.... a few shops in my home City have them and the deals usually cant be beat, if what your looking for is discounted. Lastly time - I really dont want to spend time researching auctions, watching auctions and sitting by the computer last minute bidding auctions when I only have 2 weeks to spend with family and friends - I might not get back home for 6 mo. or more.

CGC or not sometimes the addiction actually takes a back seat 893whatthe.gif I know it surprises me as well. But just wait until January woah Ill be back with a Vengence, I can already here my chequebook (how can you tell Im Canadian) heating up.

The percent of auctions actually getting bids has held remarkably steady over the entire time period at around 60 percent of actual CGC auctions or about 50 percent of my initial 'CGC' search.

Does this take out bids on Reserve auctions that are not met?

Everyone bids on those, without fear of ever buying the book in question. grin.gif

I do include reserve auctions that receive bids in our statistics. I had a long involved discussion about this with the editors at CBG. Our final consensus was to leave them in since, in the absence of a reserve, that IS the price that the book would have traded at. In other words it does represent a fair market value for the book at that moment. I have been tracking 'reserve not met' statistics in my database for the last year, but I don't have those percentages readily at hand. I'll see if I can pull those out this evening.

Shill bidding on books with ridiculously high reserves can be a problem. We don't often see CLEARLY obvious examples of this, but when we do we delete them from our database.

Reserve prices tend to have a small inflating effect on the final price. There are essentially 3 situations:

1) The final highest bid doesn't go above the reserve. In this case the reserve price has no effect on the price level shown at the end of the auction (versus the price that would be shown in the absence of a reserve). The only difference from a no reserve auction is that the book doesn't change hands.

2) The final highest bid goes above the reserve and at least two bidders bid at or above the reserve. The final price is not affected by the reserve price and is set at the level of the minimum increment above the second highest bid.

3) Only 1 bidder bids higher than the reserve. The seller in essence BECOMES the second highest bidder, driving the minimum increment up to the reserve price. This is the case where reserve prices can inflate final prices.

I ain't cash strapped, but (and I'm only speaking for myself and no-one else in the U.K.) I get a bit wary about getting items shipped to me at this time of the year. As Xmas approaches, the volume of mail increases enormously both inland and internationally -transatlantic mail definitely included. This can make for postal delays and allows for "loopholes" to occur in the shipping process.

Yes I'm paranoid, but if I did want to buy anything now, I'd go for an expensive shipping method which wouldn't necessarily be cost effective. If I lived in the U.S., it'd definitely be business as usual, maybe more so.

I ain't cash strapped, but (and I'm only speaking for myself and no-one else in the U.K.) I get a bit wary about getting items shipped to me at this time of the year.

Definitely, and those postal workers are busy doing their "late season shopping", and without leaving work. 27_laughing.gif

I do include reserve auctions that receive bids in our statistics. I had a long involved discussion about this with the editors at CBG. Our final consensus was to leave them in since, in the absence of a reserve, that IS the price that the book would have traded at. In other words it does represent a fair market value for the book at that moment.

If the reserve on an auction is $4000, the second-highest bid is $2000, and the first-highest bid is $3500, then it looks from your statistics as if the most someone was willing to pay was $2100--which is far from the truth. Including items which don't meet reserve throws figures into the statistics that are lower than the actual highest price bid. I can't imagine a situation where those numbers wouldn't bias the mean or median price of a set of pricing data points--rather dramatically in the case of some of the rarer, more expensive comics where only a few people have the disposable income at the time to bid.