• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me with my first NYCC!

29 posts in this topic

2. Drink water. I know this con isn't in the dead of summer, but it's still good to stay hydrated.

I have to disagree.. how can you waste valuable floor-roaming minutes on something as trivial as a potty break? You just have to perfect your i-can-hold-it-one-more-hour dance. Looks a little like this -> :banana:

Potty breaks are for the weak!!!

WTTB (thumbs u

(tsk)

2. Drink water. I know this con isn't in the dead of summer, but it's still good to stay hydrated.

I have to disagree.. how can you waste valuable floor-roaming minutes on something as trivial as a potty break? You just have to perfect your i-can-hold-it-one-more-hour dance. Looks a little like this -> :banana:

Potty breaks are for the weak!!!

WTTB (thumbs u

(tsk)

You are still a NOOB :sumo:

2004 just called, they would like you to pay royalties for using the word 'noob'.

Anyhoo, back on topic. I didn't even think of adding this, but wear a messenger bag or a backpack to put your purchases in. It's a lot better then holding 37238303 bags....

Lauren, That was a great list of suggestions! (thumbs u

Just a few more thoughts.

If you are going with friends, pick a place that you will recognize (we use the DC booth in Chicago, it's huge) and make a set meeting time or two, people always get distracted, separated, and cell phones don't always work in these places.

I've seen people use those rolling suitcases for books, but be aware that if it's crowded, you'll have a problem getting around with them, and dragging those around NY if it's been snowing, is hard.. I usually bring a very light weight nylon bag, and two pieces of cardboard.

You don't need an Overstreet, they are heavy and all the dealers have them at their tables. I've made that mistake and schlepped mine, too many times.

Food is always dreadful, unhealthy and expensive, so bringing something is a great idea and the first advice about shoes! is probably #1. I bring water, too...it's probably $5.00 at the con and the lines are a PITA;)

Most places take credit cards, but you will do better with cash. There are always ATM's, but they usually charge a small fee.

Sometimes the lines at the artists booths, are much slower in the afternoon.

This is NY, if you are not from the area, and don't know this, watch out for pick pockets!

Have a great time!

2004 just called, they would like you to pay royalties for using the word 'noob'.

Anyhoo, back on topic. I didn't even think of adding this, but wear a messenger bag or a backpack to put your purchases in. It's a lot better then holding 37238303 bags....

Yea. Quoting a dated reference with a dated reference is so 2000 :insane: Im older and I know better..

Yes the Resurrection is right, theres alot of rude people at these things. They'll try and push you out of the way and look in the same box of books your thumbing through. If I've got list of stuff I'm looking for, I do a search around the con first to see whos got what and get a feel for whats there. 'Take your time, you have all day. I bring a small notepad to write down whos got what, cause after twenty or so dealers you start to forget who had that book. And always keep an eye on your stuff, dont set it down and look away from your items. These cons are wall to wall people, and stuff will dissappear, sorry to say. I always bring a camera too, theres lots of people dressed up in costumes, and celebrities to meet. Have a good time, and enjoy yourself. (thumbs u

DRX

DRX is right, dont set your stuff down. I wear a backpack with a HUGE comics mailer inside with cardboard and bubble wrap. It can withstand the impact of most 250 stankin' fanboys.

That being said, just try and have a good time. And if ya' see me. Say hello. Im pretty easy to spot, since you now know I will be wearing a black backpack. Plus I know I will have an Atlanta Braves hat on, and a Black Bandana hanging out of my cargo pocket since I will most likely be wearing heavy cargo sweatpants.

See you guys there! I will be there bright and early saturday (thumbs u

Cons are the best !!! You'll have a great time I'm sure. And walking through the doors into the dealers room for the first time is the most amazing experience !! Its like two different worlds.........on each side of that doorway :banana: