• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me with my first NYCC!

29 posts in this topic

I just joined today, but have been lurking for a while. I was looking for some advice on going to my first NYCC (also my first big con). I also have a couple of questions.

I am starting to put together some of the books that I want to get signed at the con, going through the artist list. I realize now that I have a good amount of books that I would like signed, but do not know how I would be able to bring them all. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to bring comics to the con.

Also, I am wondering how difficult it is to get top guests like Carmine Infantino, Geoff Johns, George Perez, etc. or legends like Joe Simon or Joe Sinnott to sign or even sketch. Are there usually extremely long lines, limits on number of books (1 or 2 per person)? Do they charge for sigs or sketches (I know from a small con in the past that some artists charge)?

Another problem I was facing was wheter or not to submit these comics that I do get signed to CGC for SS slabbing. It costs a good chunk of change to submit these comics. What are your recomendations with this?

Thanks a lot and sorry for the long read

I just joined today, but have been lurking for a while. I was looking for some advice on going to my first NYCC (also my first big con). I also have a couple of questions.

WTTB (Welcome to the Boards)

I am starting to put together some of the books that I want to get signed at the con, going through the artist list. I realize now that I have a good amount of books that I would like signed, but do not know how I would be able to bring them all. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to bring comics to the con.

How many days are you going? f you are going all 3 days then I would only bring comics plan on getting done that day. Pick a few of the artists you really want to meet.I would recommend getting yourself a rolling collapsible hand cart , you can then stack as many as three short boxes on the and roll it around the con. I use a plastic rolling cart from Office depot which is great to store HC in and can hold a short box on top

For getting sketches it depends on the artist. George Perez usually will only sketch through a lottery for HERO, other artist may take a list so touch base with the artists your interested in getting a sketch from early to see if they are taking a list and the price for a sketch

As for getting items graded...go for it. Pick at least one high grade book per artist so that you can have a great authenticated reminder of the show. If you want to get them SS visit the CGC booth. CGC will have tons of witnesses (including me) around to help you out.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN

Welcome to the boards! Fun place, isn't it?

I can share what I learned from my first con this past September in Baltimore:

1. Get to your favorite artists ASAP! The lines grow quickly, so get there while you can.

2. I brought a side satchel (laptop bag) to carry my comics in. They provide enough protection for a laptop, so I figure comics would be pretty well covered too--and it worked great.

3. When you're in line for that artist, have your books out ahead of time, and ready to be pulled out of the bag--saves time, and allows you to chat a bit with the creator v. digging the books out.

4. WEAR COMFORTABLE SNEAKERS!!! Really can't emphasize this enough. Bringing a few ibuprofren for sore feet isn't a bad idea either.

5. Pack a couple granola bars--nice energy pick-me-ups so you don't have to get distracted by hunger. :)

6. SOME (not all) artists do charge a nominal fee for signatures (often donated to HERO), so it's a good idea to try and keep some cash on hand. Many are free though.

7. Regarding slabbing: any plans to read or handle the book ever again? Yes = Don't slab. No = Slab.

8. Bring a buddy-lots of fun to have someone else to geek out with.

This is my first NYCC, but not my first con! So this is what I've picked up over the years:

1. Wear comfortable shoes. Be it Docs, sneakers, boots, whatever, just know that you will be on your feet for possibly hours at a time.

2. Drink water. I know this con isn't in the dead of summer, but it's still good to stay hydrated.

3. Eat. For the love of God eat. I've seen people pass out from not eating at anime cons I go too. If you don't want to leave the con, bring lunch. Try to get at least one square meal in per day.

4. Shower. I've been in crowded screening rooms, video game rooms, panels, ect that stunk to high heaven because people forget all about personal hygene during cons. Why I'll never know.

5. If you see someone dressed up as your favorite characters, go up and ask for them for a picture, and be polite about it! Nothing is creepier then seeing a guy standing 5-10 feet away from you, zoomed in, trying to get a shot of you while you're talking to your friends.

6. Have what you want to get signed out and ready so you won't hold up a line, if there is one!

7. Bring cash. This may seem like a no brainer, but you'd be surprised.

8. Try not to overwhelm yourself. Maybe make a 3 day planner of things you really want to do, and try to make a schedule. It'll make you feel less stressed. :)

9. Going with friends can be fun, but I've always enjoyed going to cons alone and then meeting new friends, or bumping into old ones while there.

10. Have fun!!

WTTB!!! And have an AMAZING time is really the only thing I can say ;) I brought about six people to Baltimore this September and now most of them are going to NYCC. Everybody else definitely mentioned my main pieces of advice, so just have a great time =D

This may not be a concern or an option for you but the first Con I ever went to, I really wished I had brought an Iphone, blackberry, or any other hand held internet device.

Its a great way to reference prices, back issues, etc that you are usually checking out at home. Sometimes its hard to keep up with prices and such when Im on the hunt for back issues at a con.

WTTB!

I would prioritize the artist's that you want sketches from. These guys are like rock stars to us fan boys and the lines get long.

I attended the first NYCC before they got the bugs worked out. From what I hear, it was gotten substantially better. I got in line to get a John Romita sketch. You had to purchase one of his art books to get a sketch. I was the last one in line that got a sketch and was ecstatic. There were several people that were turned away and disappointed. John was definitely disappointed that he couldn't stay and sketch more, but had another con event.

Be patient and hope others are as well.

I agree with what the others have mentioned. Comfort a must. Food a must.

A lot of times these great creators have nobody at their table.

I just remember seeing Infantino sitting all alone with nobody around. It's all about timing.

R.

4. Shower. I've been in crowded screening rooms, video game rooms, panels, ect that stunk to high heaven because people forget all about personal hygene during cons. Why I'll never know.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! :P

Scary that we have to be reminded of that.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! :P

Scary that we have to be reminded of that.

But none the less good advise.

Make sure you bring a few pens, pencils, and sharpies as well. Alot of artists do sketches for free, some charge, but you wanna make sure you have pens on you at all times. Also, I always bring extra bags and boards. There are always free books being handed out and its good to have a bag and board to put em in. I also bring a few of the hard top-loaders with me as well, just in case I get a few sketches. They are good for holding them till ya get home. Plus the extra boards are good for those last second sketches that you might find an artist to do.

Snacks are a must cause you wanna be on the go and food is always a bit expensive at the CONs. I also forget that, while it might be freezing outside, its always warm inside the convention centers, so I try to wear a light fleece or jacket that I can stuff into a bag rather than have to carry around a big coat all day. I don't do coat checks cause I've actually lost two coats that way...lol.

Above all else, just have fun. The NYC comic con is awesome, been to that last two.

2. Drink water. I know this con isn't in the dead of summer, but it's still good to stay hydrated.

I have to disagree.. how can you waste valuable floor-roaming minutes on something as trivial as a potty break? You just have to perfect your i-can-hold-it-one-more-hour dance. Looks a little like this -> :banana:

I have to disagree.. how can you waste valuable floor-roaming minutes on something as trivial as a potty break? You just have to perfect your i-can-hold-it-one-more-hour dance. Looks a little like this -> :banana:

Potty breaks are for the weak!!!

Bring money, shower, wear clothes that fit, dont try and reach over other people looking at boxes, be aware there are other people (some people will just walk right into you, and the response is not always positive), use your brain when buying, and do a good check of the boards here they will let you know what dealers to trust.

Pat-

Potty breaks are for the weak!!!

WTTB (thumbs u