• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS: Marvel SA -- Cap, SHIELD, Surfer, DD 43, Steranko, more -- 20% OFF!!!

41 posts in this topic

Hey all...clearing out some better stuff (and some readers) from my personal stash of SA Marvels (some of which I've owned for 30 years or more). Not a ton of books tonight, but some of them are pretty sweet, especially the Steranko Caps!

Same rules as always apply: :takeit: trumps PMs, and PayPal is strongly preferred.

DOMESTIC U.S. SHIPPING: $7 for up to 4 securely packaged books via USPS Priority insured; $10 for 5 or more.

NON-U.S. SHIPPING: Please contact me for a quote before committing to buy -- thanks!

First books up in a few...

-Mikey

Daredevil #43: Classic Kirby cover, classic interior story, and a mildly tough black cover. What's not to like about this book? Marvel was truly ON FIRE in '68! As was Chicago. And Detroit. But that's another story.

VF/VF-.

$45

dd43.jpg

Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #4: The first of three books from an original owner collection I bought back in the early '90s, all of which had deep cover colors, exceptional cover gloss, and w/ow interior paper. Why isn't this one pulled out as "classic cover" in OS? Who cares...it is anyway.

F/VF.

$25

SOLD! via PM.

nick-fury4.jpg

Captain America #113: Steranko's swan song on this title. Has one artist's reputation ever been so cemented by such a small body of work? Has it ever been more deserved? If Kirby is The King, Steranko is The Prince. Just stunning.

Fine+.

$30

PRICE REDUCED -- $25

cap113-jpg.jpg

Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #7: Steranko meets Dali. Another book from an OO collection I bought back in the early '90s with great colors, gloss, and paper quality.

I first saw Dali's breathtaking "Sacrament of the Last Supper" at the National Gallery of Art in DC when I was in college. It was hanging in what amounted to the cloak room, and basically took up the entire wall. The image of the grail itself is nearly as big as a human head (or maybe it just seemed that way). Fortunately, comics are more portable. Did I mention that I love Jim Steranko's work?

F/VF.

$25

PRICE REDUCED -- $20

nick-fury7.jpg

Captain American #111 - Copy A: The apotheosis of Kirby's '40s-'60s style, courtesy of Steranko. It's also, imho, the best Cap cover of the Silver Age, hands down, and probably the best interior artwork on this title, too.

I've lost count of how many copies of this book I've owned over the years. It's the White Album of comics -- a virtuoso performance by a master of the form. Brilliant!

F/VF. One of the whiter covers I've seen on this book, too, without the major right-hand side edge tanning I usually see.

$40

cap111-fvf.jpg

Silver Surfer #2: Fair, complete.

I like to think that Big John Buscema got the respect he deserved before he passed way. I labored over his "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" for weeks and weeks when I was 13 and aspired to be a comics artist...and my drawings always looked like total mess. So I picked up a guitar instead. And my parents thought the "comic book artist" phase was a pain in the @ss.

Genius takes many forms...never forget the journeymen. All hail Big John!

$7

PRICE REDUCED -- $5

silver-surfer2.jpg

Y'know what sucks about LPs? 20 minutes of music per side in many cases. "Long Player" my hass. Somebody needs to invent a playback and storage device with unlimited capacity...probably digital.

Oh wait...never mind.

Who wants another beer?

Silver Surfer #6: Fair, complete reader. More Big John! These giant-sized, all-original art & story issues ruled. I bet the artists (or at least the letterer) made less per page than what I'm charging for the whole damn book!

$4

PRICE REDUCED -- $2

silver-surfer6.jpg