• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GLOD vs. PLOD

12 posts in this topic

I have been wondering this for a while now. I have searched, but haven't found anything. Which is worse Green Label of Death (GLOD) or the Purple Label of Death (PLOD). I know I can't be the only new person wondering this. Can you please explain why you choose the one that you did? I know it all depends what you are willing to buy, but I'm talking from a resale perspective.

The PLOD is the worst IMHO. It can mean very little has been done to a book. Example would be very slight color touch. But it can also mean a book has been trimmed, pieces added, color touch, Etc. The GLOD could mean a coupon has been cut out of the book, married pages, etc.

The PLOD is also the least likely book to have any type of investment potential. It all depends on the amount of the restoration done. Professional or Amateur work. I'd take a GLOD over a PLOD 9 times out of ten. Just my 2c

It really depends on what gives it the purple or blue label. Slight resto moves easier than moderate, moderate can move easier than extensive depending on the work. Qualified for a detached cover will move easier than qualified for pages missing. The easiest PLODs and GLODs to sell are lower (below 5.0) grade books that are complete, haven't been trimmed and have minor work ( slight ct or tear seals) - People who collect low grade are generally not as fussy as high grade collectors) High grade books would be the toughest to gauge resale value - they will sell if the work/defect is minor - but who knows for how much - could be a lot - could be way under what you paid.

Ok so how would you rate them worse to best?

Extense Resto (PLOD)

Trimmed (Is this GLOD or PLOD?)

Missing pages (GLOD)

Moderate Resto (PLOD)

Huge page/cover tear (GLOD)

Minor Resto (GLOD)

Unverified signature/slight tear/missing cover (GLOD)

I'm not saying that this is the order of worst to best. I'm asking is this it? Did I leave out anything. Like I said before I'm new to this, so I want the help and I want to help anyone else that has any questions. If someone/many people post what they think the order is..... it will be greaty appreciated. Also,the greater the detial the better. We noobs need as much help as possible. :news:

A lot of this is based on personal preference, what the specific work or problems are and the overall grade and eye appeal of the book. Everybody has different defects they can or can't tolerate, so if you get a dozen people to respond, you'll probably find you have a dozen different answers.

I was actually expecting that. The more people that post, the more you get a feel for what majority thinks. I'm sure not all answers will be the same, but for the most part close. Everything about comic reading/collecting is subjective. So, if I can atleast know what is some what accepted, I/many new people can make better decisions.

Trimmed is an automatic PLOD. It is also seen as the worst destruction a book can have done to it. Your taking something away from the book. Something that can't ever be put back.

Probably the biggest No No there is in this hobby. I know I would never own a book that has been trimmed, Never. That being said. I wouldn't mind looking at a few trimmed book's. It would give me some sense of what to look for in a book that I suspect has been trimmed.

The CGC has missed Micro Trimming{Jason Ewert}. So it can be very hard to detect at times.

Extense Resto (PLOD) This is of course the worst because so much was done to the book people often refer to them as "franken Books" But they also are almost always expensive key books so they are desireable to many because they could not afford a major key otherwise.

Trimmed (Is this GLOD or PLOD?) If nothing else was done to the book I believe it would land in a Green label because trimming in itself is not restoration.

Missing pages (GLOD) Missing coupon Green, missing pages would get .5 Blue or NG.

Moderate Resto (PLOD) Getting warmer, books like this can have had quite few thing done, but not enough for people to consider them red headed step children(no offense to red heads of course!)

Huge page/cover tear (GLOD) Depends if that is the only flaw on an otherwise HG book. If it has other accumulated flaws it would just be factored into the overall grade and put in a blue.

Minor Resto (GLOD) No such thing. Minor resto would always land in a purple. But "Slight Pro" purple label books would probably be the most sought after and also realize close to unrestored pricing because so little was done to the book to bring it to its appareant grade.

Unverified signature/slight tear/missing cover (GLOD) You are all over the map with this one, but basically all would land in blue except the last which I think would get a NG

I'm not saying that this is the order of worst to best. I'm asking is this it? Did I leave out anything. Like I said before I'm new to this, so I want the help and I want to help anyone else that has any questions. If someone/many people post what they think the order is..... it will be greaty appreciated. Also,the greater the detial the better. We noobs need as much help as possible. :news:

Hope this helps, kinda hard to cover so much ground in a hurried reply. I am sure my response is not entirely correct, but it's a start others can feel free to correct.

Extense Resto (PLOD) This is of course the worst because so much was done to the book people often refer to them as "franken Books" But they also are almost always expensive key books so they are desireable to many because they could not afford a major key otherwise.

Trimmed (Is this GLOD or PLOD?) If nothing else was done to the book I believe it would land in a Green label because trimming in itself is not restoration.

Missing pages (GLOD) Missing coupon Green, missing pages would get .5 Blue or NG.

Moderate Resto (PLOD) Getting warmer, books like this can have had quite few thing done, but not enough for people to consider them red headed step children(no offense to red heads of course!)

Huge page/cover tear (GLOD) Depends if that is the only flaw on an otherwise HG book. If it has other accumulated flaws it would just be factored into the overall grade and put in a blue.

Minor Resto (GLOD) No such thing. Minor resto would always land in a purple. But "Slight Pro" purple label books would probably be the most sought after and also realize close to unrestored pricing because so little was done to the book to bring it to its appareant grade.

Unverified signature/slight tear/missing cover (GLOD) You are all over the map with this one, but basically all would land in blue except the last which I think would get a NG

Hope this helps, kinda hard to cover so much ground in a hurried reply. I am sure my response is not entirely correct, but it's a start others can feel free to correct.

I don't agree that a trimmed book will get a green label. All trimmed books get purple labels. Hellblazer's ASM 50 is a good example of that.

Don't forget the other category of GLOD: Married Pages/Cover

An unverified signature will get you a high grade GLOD or a severely impacted Blue label. This is pretty inconsistent, in my opinion, because pedigree books, like Larson and Mile High, have all sorts of writing on the cover, however a creator's signature takes an otherwise high grade book down drastically.

I have definitely seen GLODS with missing pages - including an AF #15 in which everything but the Spidey story was missing - but CGC may have changed their criteria.