• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$50K in books stolen

11 posts in this topic

Unlike the November 2001 and the September 2003 robberies which netted the crooks about $10,000 worth of merchandise each....

Okay, is this to suggest that the store had been broken into at least twice prior, the last time being three months ago? Now, I feel for the owners, and certainly hope they retrieve their merchandise and the offenders are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. But, how many break-ins will it take for the owners to decide that:

1). Keeping very expensive material on-site is not a good idea..or failing that:

2). Having an adequate safe in the store is a neccessity.

3). Their security measures are still second-rate.

Unlike the November 2001 and the September 2003 robberies which netted the crooks about $10,000 worth of merchandise each....

Okay, is this to suggest that the store had been broken into at least twice prior, the last time being three months ago? Now, I feel for the owners, and certainly hope they retrieve their merchandise and the offenders are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. But, how many break-ins will it take for the owners to decide that:

1). Keeping very expensive material on-site is not a good idea..or failing that:

2). Having an adequate safe in the store is a neccessity.

3). Their security measures are still second-rate.

I tend to agree....

Plus their ability to get insurance now is practically nil as a pattern of frequency is now evident.

Can't they just buy a really mean Rottweiler or something? confused.gif

[Plus their ability to get insurance now is practically nil as a pattern of frequency is now evident.

Plus, this pattern will cause their insurance company to ask some very tough questions, some of which are listed above.

I'm kidding, of course... but having been the victim of a break-in in the past (roughly $9K worth of comics back in 2000) I can't imagine a store not taking additional steps to prevent such a thing in the future...

After my break-in I spent around $900 on upgrading the security in my shop, and added another $20 a month in features to my alarm system. You can get a very nice safe for $500, and still have money left over for anything from window bars to additional motion sensors to video cameras...

Burn me once, shame on you...

Burn me twice, shame on me...

Burn me three times in three years, I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person...

I'm not saying they don't have a better and more profitable store than I do... but that's just plain stupid...

That's a real shame. Frank is one of the nicest peple in the business.He helped me greatly when I was starting out,even pointing out places where I could obtain material cheaper than he sold it for(because of cheaper shipping).

With that said,the crew from COPS is or was in KC around that time so perhaps we'll be watching the response in a few months.Must have taken awhile o breakin and steal that stuff.

Interesting story about store break ins. Back in the early 90's when sportcards were very hot, there was a rash of store break ins in Florida. All over the state stores were being robbed after hours. A dealer in town had bars set in hos windows and a security door instaled He then went and bought multiple cameras and motion sensors for his whole shop. If that wasnt enough he had a metal storm door installed on his "safe"room where he kept all the expensive single cards and wax boxes overnight. A few days after he had all this done the robbers got him anyways. The broke into the store next door (which was an office of some sort and had zero security) and simply cut through the drywall and entered the security closet which of course was the only place he didnt have cameras installed. Sorry to hear this [!@#%^&^] still goes on I guess you have to take excellent precautions and never tell customers or other shop owners what security you do have frown.giffrown.gif