• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Home Improvement anyone??

27 posts in this topic

A nice job on the finish. As a plumber, I noticed in the first picture you posted that the sink waste is connected to a cross tee. This fitting should have been replaced with a cross wye at the least. The reason for not using a cross tee on a waste line will become obvious to anyone attempting to snake out a clogged line that uses one. The snake will tend to jump over to the other side of the cross tee which connects to another sink line, instead of going down the waste line to clear the stoppage. Also, it is impossible to get any pitch on a waste line that is connected to a cross tee. Either the lines connected to it have to be perfectly level or one line is back pitched. A cross tee should only be used on a vent line.

Hmmmm?? I see what you are saying about snaking the line. I didn't replace any of the pipes that were in the walls......so they are exactly as they were when the house was built in 1960. I did move one of the electrical sockets over a couple of feet and changed its funtion abit. Mostly everything done here was cosmetic.

Trouble is......now my wife wants me to do the kitchen !!! :o

It's less expensive to use the cross tee because if a cross wye had been used, two other fittings would have been necessary [two 1/8 bends]. Contractors usually take shortcuts like this because of the money saved. If the plumbing inspector doesn't catch it when the walls are open for inspection, it will pass any pressure test after the walls are closed.

Hopefully, you'll never have to snake the line. If the worst happens and you do get a stoppage, try using a liquid declogger. Home Depot carries Pequa, which is pretty good.

Working on my third house, I buy junkers and refurbish them. Been at this one for a while, mostly because I got married a few years ago and time and money were less available. This one was also the most enduring, being a "tear out to the studs everywhere" project...Right now I need to put in a drop ceiling in the kitchen, repair a bit of the front porch, and put down floor coverings and it's ready for the market...if only there WAS a market, lol

This one should sell, however, original oak trim throughout the entire downstairs, and I saved every last stick of it during the demo. Took a couple months to strip all the paint off and refinish, but it was worth every minute.

Unfortunately, in the meanwhile, my wife has fallen in love with the place (well, I DO put out a nice finished product) so my plans to flip this one and walk into a house with some acreage for free is on hold for a bit. I have mad skills in most construction areas, but have cured myself of trying to do finishes on drywall. Takes too much of my time, and looks a bit amateurish even at my best. Hang it and hire a pro to finish!