• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Home Improvement anyone??

27 posts in this topic

Anybody here do their own repairs? This is how my bathroom looked last summer....as I was tearing into it in full destruct mode !! Yea, we needed a remodel, but dang........remodels are not cheap. So I had to do the work myself.....as I could afford it. Heres a couple shots of the tear down......Its a really small bathroom. I hired a plumber to put in all new shower piping, handles and shower head.

IMG_2081.jpg

DSCN6793.jpg

Didn't take any other shot in the middle........but heres how it looks now. Big difference eh?

IMG_3826.jpg

IMG_3828.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

IMG_3830.jpg

Heres the best part and the finishing touch. We considered putting up a small sign that said, " IN CASE OF EMERGENCY"........but you know, if you have to explain your humor, you've lost it. So we just left it like this.........

IMG_3832.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

Yea, its a real WWII gas-mask with hose and cannister !! A fitting touch for a place that is often exposed to........uh.......GAS (:

Anybody here do their own repairs? This is how my bathroom looked last summer....as I was tearing into it in full destruct mode !! Yea, we needed a remodel, but dang........remodels are not cheap. So I had to do the work myself.....as I could afford it. Heres a couple shots of the tear down......Its a really small bathroom. I hired a plumber to put in all new shower piping, handles and shower head.

IMG_2081.jpg

DSCN6793.jpg

That is how my ex-father in laws bathroom looked for all 9 years of my miserable marriage. Congratulations on finishing - and doing it with style. Very nice work.

I did some minor remodeling of the bathroom in our newly purchased home and just putting up tiles, painting and replacing fixtures was a huge pain in the butt. Doing a nice job like yours is quite a feat.

I've got one of those gas masks out in the shed - haven't used it since the old frat initiations in the Pioneer Graveyard at the UofO, 25 or so years ago......., those were the days....., :cloud9:

I've got one of those gas masks out in the shed - haven't used it since the old frat initiations in the Pioneer Graveyard at the UofO, 25 or so years ago......., those were the days....., :cloud9:

Should have hawked them on eBay when people were stocking up on duct tape and plastic to fight off the terror attacks.

Should have hawked them on eBay when people were stocking up on duct tape and plastic to fight off the terror attacks.

I may still need it once the administration neuters the country and Red Dawn occurs....., :eek:

Nice work! (thumbs u

Doing it yourself isn't rocket science... it just takes a desire to learn and save money. Since moving into our home 5 years ago, I've learned and done plumbing, sheetrocking, finishing hardwood floors, tiling, installing windows and doors, roofing and electrical.

I estimate I saved at least $20,000 in labor by doing it myself in that timeframe.

One of my summer jobs in college was framing houses... while it wasn't glamourous or easy work, it was a great experience. I learned how to swing a hammer and it made me learn not to be intimidated.

That will be me for the entire month of June--we need to fully renovate the entire upstairs bathroom. Fortunately, the we have a second full bathroom downstairs for our standby. UNfortunately, I am not handy but will still be attempting to do much of the work on my own. Thank God for handy friends who are generous with their summer time!

That will be me for the entire month of June--we need to fully renovate the entire upstairs bathroom. Fortunately, the we have a second full bathroom downstairs for our standby. UNfortunately, I am not handy but will still be attempting to do much of the work on my own. Thank God for handy friends who are generous with their summer time!

Youtube is your friend.

For many common tasks like tiling, installing faucets, simple plumbing, etc Youtube has great instructional videos.

My brewing buddie was over last weekend, and when he saw the mask he said " My wife would never let me do that at our house".......

I had to tell him, my wife could hardly wait till I put it all together so she could invite somebody over to see it !! (thumbs u

my wife doesn't think i should be allowed to play with anything electrical (unless it's really easy) or plumbing.

truth is, although those are really expensive to hire out, i don't blame her.

caulking, painting, woodworking, etc. etc. she doesn't have a problem with though.

when we tiled the kitchen floor we had to remove the swinging door and the old saddle not longer worked so I had to cut a new, thicker saddle out of non-standard wood. I had to sand it down to make it right and then stain it and poly it. It's actually lovely. And then I had to re-install the old swinging door into it. that doesn't hang quite right anymore, but whatever. that's about the level of what i'm allowed. that and demolition, of course. she had no problem with me tearing out the old kitchen so long as i had a semi-professional there to help me put in the new one.

i'm not so great on high ladders though, so some caulking of the second floor windows hasn't happened.