• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice On A Teaser Price

30 posts in this topic

Instead of trying to figure out what angle or gimmick you want to use, why not use that time and energy into perfecting your efficiency and customer service???

Forget the gimmicks - be a good, reliable, consitent seller and you'll EARN repeat business and a good reputation, and you'll get good word-of-mouth, which is the best of all the types, advertising.

I'm sure you're wanting to do something radical (i.e., different from everyone else) - but the most truly radical thing you can do is be consistent (because very few are).

Show the book. But let it be known it's a grail to you and that you would entertain offers. That's better than an hyper-inflated price. Would stir up better interest I'd say. And your copy would still have some folks droolin'. :insane:

You also risk scaring away potential customers who will see hyper-inflated prices, decide your pricing is way out of line and not bother too look very far at what else is available.

^^

Just show the book on the home page (without a price) and mix it in a link to all of your books with pricing. That should work unless you're crazy high on everything. (shrug)

You also risk scaring away potential customers who will see hyper-inflated prices, decide your pricing is way out of line and not bother too look very far at what else is available.

^^

Just show the book on the home page (without a price) and mix it in a link to all of your books with pricing. That should work unless you're crazy high on everything. (shrug)

He's just crazy high doh!

Instead of trying to figure out what angle or gimmick you want to use, why not use that time and energy into perfecting your efficiency and customer service???

Forget the gimmicks - be a good, reliable, consitent seller and you'll EARN repeat business and a good reputation, and you'll get good word-of-mouth, which is the best of all the types, advertising.

I'm sure you're wanting to do something radical (i.e., different from everyone else) - but the most truly radical thing you can do is be consistent (because very few are).

I wasn't trying to figure out gimmicks, it was a spur of the moment idea I thought I'd run by people before implementing it.

I've built up a good reputation on eBay as a seller and it's something I pride myself on, both in delivery and packaging and quality/grading of books. I'm not taking it for granted but it's something I'm proud of and is a standard I aim to maintain and improve if possible.

As for the time and effort - I have two young children and work long hours. I get up at 4am every day to work on the site before I leave. I then spend as long as possible on a nighttime and weekend building the site. I don't think my effort and commiment can be questioned, and if you have any suggestions on how I can perfect my customer service I'm open to them. I didn't realise it was that bad.

It was an idea - albeit a bad one - that I wanted opinions on. Opinons from people who know what they are talking about and whose input I would take on board. The only way to improve yourself is through feedback from people with the knowledge. I don't recall saying I would be unreliable or inconsistent. And I don't think consistency is radical, it's a prerequisite for a comic seller.

As for the Mile High comments - I was only talking about one book as a teaser, not overpricing every book by a Mile. I admit it was a bad idea and I won't be following through with it, I just regret that some people have took it in the way that I intend to rip people off.

My ebay user ID is 1245baker if people want to see my feedback as a seller. Probably not a big deal to most, but I feel like I have to justify myself.