• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice On A Teaser Price

30 posts in this topic

I'm currently setting up an online comic store with a friend of mine. It's coming on nicely as we're building it offline and spending the time getting it just right. I want to put one of my grail books on there as a teaser - you know, an out of reach book that may make people think 'I want that but can't afford it, what else can I afford?'

It's Batman #608 RRP 9.4, and I don't want to sell the book at all, just use it as bait. This does work, well it does on me anyway! I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen a book on a site I couldn't afford so have settled for something cheaper. So what price should I set it at so it won't sell? Or in the worst case scenario that someone actually does buy it I can replace it, maybe with a higher grade?

I bought it for $731 about five months ago. Or should I just not bother putting it on at all? I'm really stuck on what to do! Help!!

$1500 :sumo:

If it sells for that you can replace/upgrade and probably still have some $$ left over.

$1500 :sumo:

If it sells for that you can replace/upgrade and probably still have some $$ left over.

That sounds like a good price. I really want it to scare people off and I reckon that will. (thumbs u

You also risk scaring away potential customers who will see hyper-inflated prices, decide your pricing is way out of line and not bother too look very far at what else is available.

Valid point (thumbs u

A great example would be Mile High. Every time I come across a book they are selling I don't even bother reading the details. I just look elsewhere. :shrug:

You also risk scaring away potential customers who will see hyper-inflated prices, decide your pricing is way out of line and not bother too look very far at what else is available.

I agree. The last sale for a Bats #608 RRP in CGC 9.4 was $525 in Nov '08 (with a 12month avg of $654). Something in the line of GPA or a tad above it, I can understand the pricing and would take a look. But if it's 3 times GPA for a modern (yes a difficult RRP version) I would think other comics would be priced the same (inflated) and not go any further (this is just my opinion).

I listed my AF 15 on my ecrater store for 1,000,000.00. And someone bought it lol

They are sending a cashiers check :insane:

I just need to figure out where to go on vacation now :grin:

Nut!!!! :foryou:

:acclaim:

How goes the cookie contest?

Post it for a really low price which will get people there and then make references to trimming, CT, tape, glue and maybe even pressing in your description. Oh you could also talk about this really advanced color printer you just bought.

That should scare people away.

I agree. The last sale for a Bats #608 RRP in CGC 9.4 was $525 in Nov '08 (with a 12month avg of $654). Something in the line of GPA or a tad above it, I can understand the pricing and would take a look. But if it's 3 times GPA for a modern (yes a difficult RRP version) I would think other comics would be priced the same (inflated) and not go any further (this is just my opinion).

I agree ... not only is it 3 times GPA for a modern - it's 3 times GPA for a modern 9.4 book. With the abundance of modern 9.6's and 9.8's, this sucker has nowhere to go but down.

Crazy inflated prices on a website ensures that I, for one, won't bother to look at what else is available.

I'm currently setting up an online comic store with a friend of mine. It's coming on nicely as we're building it offline and spending the time getting it just right. I want to put one of my grail books on there as a teaser - you know, an out of reach book that may make people think 'I want that but can't afford it, what else can I afford?'

It's Batman #608 RRP 9.4, and I don't want to sell the book at all, just use it as bait. This does work, well it does on me anyway! I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen a book on a site I couldn't afford so have settled for something cheaper. So what price should I set it at so it won't sell? Or in the worst case scenario that someone actually does buy it I can replace it, maybe with a higher grade?

I bought it for $731 about five months ago. Or should I just not bother putting it on at all? I'm really stuck on what to do! Help!!

Don;t do a "teaser" price. Some folks get really ticked at that kind of chicanery as they may be trying to decide if it is real or not..

Actually DO put somehting totally and copmpletely ABSURD as your teaser. Set a price of a million or even a billion. Make up some obviously fake back story about how this particular book was found in the trash of the Royal Family and taken to the Royal Restorer by a Royal Stooge to be Right Royally Restored. (OK - that was weak but you get the drift.)

Sometimes a jest or a tease that is too close to reality can backfire. I say go totally bonkers with this book and people will immediately know what you are doing and also feel drawn to look further. A good sense of humor can go far in biz. I mean, look at Crazy Ted from Superworld.

If you really want to tease people, list a bunch of sweet books with a never ending "sales pending" designation. Better yet, list a bunch of sweet books with a never ending "not yet processed" designation.