• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-O Manowar 1/2 Gold edition ???

11 posts in this topic

Whats the story with this comic. I own it because it was sent free to me for getting a subscription to wizard back in 95'. Ive come across 2 of them on Ebay and one sold for $275 and the other is for $150. Is this a rare book? and why is it and what is the print run on it? Thanx for your help.

I dont think anybody really knows for sure how many were produced, but its not a very high number. It's generally considered the toughest Valiant incentive book to find (along with the Diamond Unity TPB's, the Magnus/Predator TPB, and several VVSS books). If it's in nice shape, get it graded. I think the highest graded so far is a 9.6.

In a twist of logic...

(which is ironic since we're talking about a $100+ Valiant comic)

... people have been paying more for a RAW copy

of this book than for a CGC graded one.

In May of 2003, a CGC 9.6 copy of the book sold for $128.50,

but RAW copies have sold for as high as $275.

My guess is that Valiant collectors (the few that are out there)

are looking to add the book to their 100% ungraded collections,

and probably haven't been bitten by the CGC bug yet.

So maybe they weren't really sure what to pay or

even whether to bid on the CGC 9.6 graded copy

when it was on Ebay... having little or no CGC experience.

I don't know if this is still true in December 2003,

because the only X-O 1/2 Gold that is on Ebay lately

has been one with a description that includes the words

"... it has a small tear about a 1/2 inch"

which is definitely keeping the bidders at bay.

The more common "purple version" is barely a $5 book,

but completists can't seem to find enough copies of

the gold version to go around.

I was just moving some of my books around and came across my copy of X-O Manowar 1/2 and lo to my utter surprise... it's the gold version.

Then much to my horror I noticed that the stupid Wizard plastic holder had the upper top corner scrunched and the upper top part of the spine got a little bent up... so no CGC'ing for this baby. I've attached a scan.

Hmmm.... much as I love the X-O series I think I can part with this puppy and get myself a purple one for $5.

Kev

337379-xo12.jpg.2932a52253d7260f5b1cf080aca70981.jpg

If i was to submit it to cgc, what would i submit it under? Standard because of price or Modern because of when it was published? What is the priceguide value on this book and is it lower then what people pay for it. I only ask because if a book is worth more then $200 i think it has to be submitted under "standard".Im not sure if they go by priceguide or estimated value or what.

If i was to submit it to cgc, what would i submit it under? Standard because of price or Modern because of when it was published? What is the priceguide value on this book and is it lower then what people pay for it. I only ask because if a book is worth more then $200 i think it has to be submitted under "standard".Im not sure if they go by priceguide or estimated value or what.

You should be able to submit it as a "Modern" submission.

The only recorded sale of a CGC graded X-O #1/2 Gold was $128.50

for a CGC 9.6 back in May of 2003.

Average Ebay price for ungraded copies (13 sales) have been $185...

which is still under the $200 limit for modern submissions.