• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink Auctions - Avengers & ASM prices through the roof

332 posts in this topic

OK, this ought to end the "preview to press" theory.

You do realize it's not a "theory"?

I meant on this specific book.

Anyone that thinks they will make big money pressing a cream 9.4 worth about $200 is deluding themself.

The book in question is a 9.6 already. With the cream to off-white page quality you said would make this grade an impossibility. :baiting:

As to the eye popping final price, this is what can happen when the final prices realized for certain books bust through the GPA roof and into the stratosphere. Other books in high grade that aren't themselves candidates for pressing to an even higher grade fly through the hole in the roof created by the other auctions.

what is "Preview to press" mean in regards to Comiclink? That's a new one on me.

Certain dealers get to look at the unpressed stock before the books are listed at auction. They're allowed to only after agreeing to a deal whereby after the books they buy at auction are pressed and regraded, they are offered for sale again on Comiclink.

I have an answer for all of this: don't be the sucker who finds himself paying 10X GPA for a book (bidding frenzy, auction manipulation, stupidity...the reason doesn't matter) and you won't wake up one day with that dreaded sense of disappointment the causes you to liquidate your collection and leave the hobby forever.

I agree that a lot of what is going on right now with our hobby is just not good for the long run. But if you're one of those ninnies bidding an Avengers # 16 or FF 75 into the stratosphere (as an example), you are part of the problem.

I'm going to start shaking the mess out of all of my slabs until I cause SCS damage to the corners of each book. I'm then going to sell those books by posting detailed pics of the damage and pointing out that it can all be pressed out.

CHA-CHING!

lol

Bob, is that any different than any other person pumping their book?

R.

Why should a good book need 'pumping'?

I've never felt the need/desire to 'pump' a decent book. The good stuff sells itself and the stuff that needs 'pumping' usually ends in 'slightly misleading'. meh

Bob, is that any different than any other person pumping their book?

R.

Why should a good book need 'pumping'?

I've never felt the need/desire to 'pump' a decent book. The good stuff sells itself and the stuff that needs 'pumping' usually ends in 'slightly misleading'. meh

It is the "ebay phenomenon" all over again. On ebay it is difficult to sell a book at it's actual grade due to the "ebay grade bump" that is employed by many. Now books in the general market whether they be graded or not are described by what the "potential" could be for a perceived higher value despite actual grade. It again affects those who grade a book for what it is and leave it that way.

There is NO WAY that the FF#75 should have went that high :doh: COW PQ to boot? :sick:

Some of the prices realized lately on books just don't make any sense...

I think the answer on this one is that people know you have to bid aggressively on CLink to win. Two people wanted this book, and wanted to assure they won it, so they put in stupid high bids. The result is a price anomaly. :shy:

There is NO WAY that the FF#75 should have went that high :doh: COW PQ to boot? :sick:

I think the answer on this one is that people know you have to bid aggressively on CLink to win. Two people wanted this book, and wanted to assure they won it, so they put in stupid high bids. The result is a price anomaly. :shy:

Yeah but it has been happening a lot lately... what happened to the Recession? :insane:

In this case, be thankful those stats DO NOT feed into GPA or folks would be listing it out in their sales thread.

And pumping a books "pressability" goes on in this board's Forum-Only Selling area frequently. Someone listed an Amazing Spider-Man CGC 9.4 with the old Universal Label. Then his friends started posting on the thread about it being a great press candidate, so the seller starts stating "See, they said it may be a higher grade. Someone should buy this book." Of course, someone drank from that Kool-Aid flavor of Pressable Punch. Meanwhile, I'm looking at the photo and counting 8 stress lines that broke color.

I guess where I am going with this is if we are going to expect ComicLink to shy away from such practices, who we have no control of, shouldn't that approach start here by discouraging such practices and since this forum allows us, the members, to have more control of the environment?

Next person that posts under the Forum-Only Selling section "Great pressing candidate" I'd like to see some warnings thrown their way like Borock had in selling to someone that was on the probation list and was peppered with warning notes about this action (which he realized afterwards was discouraged).

And pumping a books "pressability" goes on in this board's Forum-Only Selling area frequently. Someone listed an Amazing Spider-Man CGC 9.4 with the old Universal Label. Then his friends started posting on the thread about it being a great press candidate, so the seller starts stating "See, they said it may be a higher grade. Someone should buy this book." Of course, someone drank from that Kool-Aid flavor of Pressable Punch. Meanwhile, I'm looking at the photo and counting 8 stress lines that broke color.

Show me a scan of a CGC 9.4 book with 8 color breaking stress lines.

I'm not going to point to someone's book as they may be on this thread, but the practice of buddy-pumping a book is going on here and should be discouraged, in addition to the comments about a books "potential grade" after CGC has already assigned a grade to that book.

If it is okay with probation thread mistakes, then the same should go for pressing candidate comments and overcharging on a book because "it looks like it can be a 9.x candidate."

I'm not going to point to someone's book as they may be on this thread, but the practice of buddy-pumping a book is going on here and should be discouraged, in addition to the comments about a books "potential grade" after CGC has already assigned a grade to that book.

If it is okay with probation thread mistakes, then the same should go for pressing candidate comments and overcharging on a book because "it looks like it can be a 9.x candidate."

Then PM the scan to me. :gossip:

Buddy pimping is just human nature. I'm sure you've never done it.

As for people paying extra for a book because it's a pressing candidate...If they are buying it because they are actually going to press it, then they deserve to "share the wealth" a bit with the seller. If they are buying it because they actually want that book, then they don't mind paying a little extra for it, obviously, or they wouldn't pay the price.

Still all reasonable common sense left them as soon as they past the $600 mark. CR/OW... for a SA book in a new holder. Freakin unbeleivable doh!

Will they ever get they're money back on that book... not in this life time!

Buddy pimping is just human nature. I'm sure you've never done it.

Actually, no, I have not talked up a books pressability ever when I rarely sold some of my books. It just doesn't feel right after a book is graded to be taking that approach.

As for people paying extra for a book because it's a pressing candidate...If they are buying it because they are actually going to press it, then they deserve to "share the wealth" a bit with the seller. If they are buying it because they actually want that book, then they don't mind paying a little extra for it, obviously, or they wouldn't pay the price.

I get it that this goes on, and it benefits that person to look for the benefits a little book cleanup and other prep work could have brought. But if we are wanting to discourage ComicLink from doing this with resellers in theory only, how about walking the talk here? Otherwise, it truly does come across as sour grapes that CL is making a killing with their approach.

Then PM the scan to me. :gossip:

I tried to do a quick search in that section, but so many people change the subject to CLOSED afterwards it is not coming up fast. When I get back from work tonight, I'll PM you that thread. Download the photo and start counting how many white lines you see along that red background.

It's a 9.4 book, and no amount of pressing is going to make the white go away.

Actually, no, I have not talked up a books pressability ever when I rarely sold some of my books. It just doesn't feel right after a book is graded to be taking that approach.

So you've never vouched for a buddy, as in telling someone that you've seen a book he had that he was trying to sell. How nice it was and what not.

Yeah, right. lol