• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink Auctions - Avengers & ASM prices through the roof

332 posts in this topic

Then PM the scan to me. :gossip:

I tried to do a quick search in that section, but so many people change the subject to CLOSED afterwards it is not coming up fast. When I get back from work tonight, I'll PM you that thread. Download the photo and start counting how many white lines you see along that red background.

It's a 9.4 book, and no amount of pressing is going to make the white go away.

What book was it? Maybe I can get Mica to find it for me. hm

Actually, no, I have not talked up a books pressability ever when I rarely sold some of my books. It just doesn't feel right after a book is graded to be taking that approach.

So you've never vouched for a buddy, as in telling someone that you've seen a book he had that he was trying to sell. How nice it was and what not.

Yeah, right. lol

Vouching for a book and stating it is solid when IT IS and talking a book up as "pressable candidate" are two different approaches. Assuming they are both the same approach would be wrong.

Wait a minute. I found the thread and now I see why you are all over this. YOU were the guy stating "WOW! What a great pressing candidate."

:jokealert:

Wait a minute. I found the thread and now I see why you are all over this. YOU were the guy stating "WOW! What a great pressing candidate."

Then by all means, send me the link. :makepoint:

Then by all means, send me the link. :makepoint:

Was kidding on you being on the thread, but did send you the PM.

My initial search didn't come up with the book, but I did learn that if you search the word "candidate" in the selling forum, you get flooded with posts by Dale Roberts.

Dale...why don't you just buy a damn press since you're so good at picking out pressable books. :gossip:

And here could be an example where someone tried that pressability theory and it went wrong on ComicLink.

I have been trying to hunt down a House of Secrets 92 CGC 9.0 to 9.2 for a little while. ComicLink shows a 9.2 that sold, and then a 9.2 that is for sale. It didn't hit me until I went to study the pictures this is the same exact book.

HOS 92 book A

HOS 92 book B

The person probably thought they had a 9.4/9.6 on their hands, bought it, and then upon receipt realized it was a - SURPRISE - 9.2 book. So now they try and sell it at a slightly higher price than what they paid.

My initial search didn't come up with the book, but I did learn that if you search the word "candidate" in the selling forum, you get flooded with posts by Dale Roberts.

Dale...why don't you just buy a damn press since you're so good at picking out pressable books. :gossip:

TNmoney.jpg

And here could be an example where someone tried that pressability theory and it went wrong on ComicLink.

I have been trying to hunt down a House of Secrets 92 CGC 9.0 to 9.2 for a little while. ComicLink shows a 9.2 that sold, and then a 9.2 that is for sale. It didn't hit me until I went to study the pictures this is the same exact book.

HOS 92 book A

HOS 92 book B

The person probably thought they had a 9.4/9.6 on their hands, bought it, and then upon receipt realized it was a - SURPRISE - 9.2 book. So now they try and sell it at a slightly higher price than what they paid.

How did they press it if they never took it out of the slab?

This was just a flip seller or a remorse buy. :makepoint:

You missed the point.

:makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint:

Someone may have taken the approach of making that 9.2 into a 9.4/9.6 book, received it, and then realized it wasn't even worth trying to press. So now they are flipping it.

Otherwise, this is like that TV commercial where the fellow wins the painting at an auction and then states "Now I'd like to sell it." Is that eBay's TV spot?

You missed the point.

:makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint:

Someone may have taken the approach of making that 9.2 into a 9.4/9.6 book, received it, and then realized it wasn't even worth trying to press. So now they are flipping it.

Otherwise, this is like that TV commercial where the fellow wins the painting at an auction and then states "Now I'd like to sell it." Is that eBay's TV spot?

Hardly definitive evidence of someone trying to press a book for profit. Looks like they have quite a mark up on it without doing anything to it. They bought it at what they thought was a low price, then put it back on at what they thought they could get for it.

That TV commercial is quite relevant in the world of collecting. These loons are everywhere. Looks like exactly what happened here.

Bob, is that any different than any other person pumping their book?

R.

Why should a good book need 'pumping'?

I've never felt the need/desire to 'pump' a decent book. The good stuff sells itself and the stuff that needs 'pumping' usually ends in 'slightly misleading'. meh

It is the "ebay phenomenon" all over again. On ebay it is difficult to sell a book at it's actual grade due to the "ebay grade bump" that is employed by many. Now books in the general market whether they be graded or not are described by what the "potential" could be for a perceived higher value despite actual grade. It again affects those who grade a book for what it is and leave it that way.

Not really an Ebay phenom as barkers have been around since the dawn of time.

It's just some people's styles.

R.

Hardly definitive evidence of someone trying to press a book for profit. Looks like they have quite a mark up on it without doing anything to it. They bought it at what they thought was a low price, then put it back on at what they thought they could get for it.

That TV commercial is quite relevant in the world of collecting. These loons are everywhere. Looks like exactly what happened here.

Oh, I know, but from the theme I am seeing on this thread of what goes on at ComicLink (and our hobby), strong indications are this is someone that didn't look at the entire book and got a surprise that their 9.2 was a 9.2 example.

But you are right, anything could have happened. He could have purchased an Avengers 16 CGC 9.0 and now has to pay for it. (shrug)

Maybe that's what's wrong with this hobby.

Sellers who now have to pump up descriptions to sell to the pressers.

Ask yourself why do I have to do this?

Not only do I have to grade a book to sell it, I have to state this it could be pressed into a higher grade to warrant my asking price. I agree with Brian, this is not a good thing and if people can't see why the kool aid is working overtime.

Bob, this is not wrong with the hobby now...barkering and pumping product has been around since the dawn of time.

Crazy Ed, Mike Carbonaro, Oscar the Frenchman...and that's just the East coast.

You are now saying that Josh is putting "messages" into his descriptions to fuel bidding based on the prospect of pressing the book into a higher grade?

Wow. Now that is a strech.

Well Roy, I'd be curious what kool-aid you were drinking with this listing and how it was written.

FF #5 CGC 8.5 that just sold on Comic-link

This important early FF is very difficult to find in the VF range and higher. This book has a strong, clean cover with very deep colors and the sort of structure found on many 9.2s. This book was tough graded. In fact holding this glossy gem in person, one would not have a problem thinking it's a 9.2, It's that nice !

I guess tanning doesn't factor into the grade?

I've seen this book, While structurely very nice this book would have had a hard time selling in Pre-CGC days because of the very strong dark halo that goes around the book. But hey, once in the plastic tomb the magic koolaid takes over and with the right spin one would not have a problem thinking it's a 9.2? No, it's a 8.5.

Uh, Bob. The seller that wrote this description was the consignor...not Josh. I'd put money on it.

Josh doesn't sensationalize his books this way...at least I'm pretty sure he doesn't as he's written auction descriptions for me and they didn't sound any where like this.

I also think this book sold in the exchange and not the auction as it was dated Jan/15.

Anyone drinking at the Metro Kool Aid trough?

:baiting:

Yeah more and more people are adding that little sentence to their auctions, especially here on the boards. It's the latest fad, sellers used to hype their very early slabbed books (red label) because they were supposed to have been graded at a time when CGC was still ultra-strict and would possible get a higher grade now when resubmitted.

Then it was the old-style holders which according to some sellers signified a period where CGC was ultra-strict on PQ...alluding that a crack and a resub woule yield a better PQ...and so and so on.

If you're a serious buyer/collector you cut through all this and concentrate on the book, the QP and the market value..the rest is just window dressing.

I couldn't care less if a book was a "pressable" candidate in a red label and an old-school slab, if I want the book, I like the book and the price is fair I'm going to go for it anyway...but I won't pay a stupid price for it.

I have a question. How does anyone know whether or not these sales are even completed? How do we know the books have been paid for by the buyers? When I visit ComicLink's site, I see books from 5 years ago that are still marked sale pending. What does that mean? In addition, I read in a related thread where someone said that he was never paid for a book he sold on CL.

Also, I was wondering, does GPA track these sales and add them to their database? Do they have any way of confirming that the sale(s) are actually completed? If not, it would seem their data would be flawed. They would be recording prices of books, sometimes record prices, when the book(s) never really sold.

Why is "pressable" relevant? If it's pressable, why don't they press it?

Like this comic with a torn cover. If it wasn't torn, it would be NM...and if a bullfrog had wings, he wouldn't bust his azz.

2c