• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink Auctions - Avengers & ASM prices through the roof

332 posts in this topic

Also, I was wondering, does GPA track these sales and add them to their database?

GPA does not include Comiclink transactions.

Thanks Tim. I didn't see it on their site, but I don't have a subscription, so I wasn't sure.

For one I don't pump my books. Feel free to check out my marketplace descriptions...my decriptions are about as exciting as your copywrighted "Rich inks" so I don't know again why you are trying to drag me into a mud fight while shooting blanks. I don't need inspiration from anyone. I choose my inspiration from higher sources.

You do pump your books... when you say -- "pressing candidate" or whatever description. Or this is a really, really nice copy. Now, what is wrong with that? I don't know, nothing really. Depending on the book, I have done it too. People can word describe their books to be priceless adamantium/vibranium special alloy copies and it ain't gonna help. Around here, most people see the book or know the seller.

For one I don't pump my books. Feel free to check out my marketplace descriptions...my decriptions are about as exciting as your copywrighted "Rich inks" so I don't know again why you are trying to drag me into a mud fight while shooting blanks. I don't need inspiration from anyone. I choose my inspiration from higher sources.

You do pump your books... when you say -- "pressing candidate" or whatever description. Or this is a really, really nice copy. Now, what is wrong with that? I don't know, nothing really. Depending on the book, I have done it too. People can word describe their books to be priceless adamantium/vibranium special alloy copies and it ain't gonna help. Around here, most people see the book or know the seller.

Well when I said pump, I was under the understanding that we were talking about something untruthful...which is what Bob was implying...because that FF #5 with a halo (which is in the scan so nobody can miss it) was touted as being a 9.2 in an 8.5 holder.

When I said pump i meant mis-representation.

When I said pump I meant dis-honesty.

If Bob is going to continue to drag my good name through the mud and continue to accuse me of doing something dis-honest I will stop pulling punches.

R.

Old label.

Potential 9.9? hm

Maybe a 11.0 with even whiter pages!

:insane:

You guys are dorks. Whoever is bidding on this is bidding because they want it to have in their collection. It's probably Sully.

It's called humor...something you would know nothing about. It's obvious that this book would never even be a 9.81 with that miswrap. I'm just being sarcastic because apparantly whenever a high grade book sells for stupid money it's because someone wants to "smash it and slab it".

R.

Oh, carp! That's humour? All these years I thought humour was funny. Damn.

Also, I was wondering, does GPA track these sales and add them to their database?

GPA does not include Comiclink transactions.

and i'm beginning to think this is a good thing. as opposed to the stance i would have taken when the last time this topic raised its head.

Well when I said pump, I was under the understanding that we were talking about something untruthful...which is what Bob was implying...because that FF #5 with a halo (which is in the scan so nobody can miss it) was touted as being a 9.2 in an 8.5 holder.

When I said pump i meant mis-representation.

When I said pump I meant dis-honesty.

If Bob is going to continue to drag my good name through the mud and continue to accuse me of doing something dis-honest I will stop pulling punches.

R.

To me, pump (sorry alcholland) didn't imply only misrepresentation or dishonesty. The things you are referring to are exactly that: misrepresentation or dishonesty. Sellers (not just on comiclink) will often say, this book is nicer than the grade given. I mean hey, I just bought an x-men 94 that was graded an 8.0 -- it sure looks a lot nicer than an 8.0 -- to me, if a seller described it that way, that's an honest description. It's not the word choice but is kind of a situation by situation analysis.

There is NO WAY that the FF#75 should have went that high :doh: COW PQ to boot? :sick:

Some of the prices realized lately on books just don't make any sense...

The only thing I can think of is that two guys really wanted it and both put in really high swipe bids assuming they would blow out any other "reasonable bids"... and the winner got nailed for it. I have a hard time believing the winner is happy with this purchase.

Comiclink is a consignment site where the sellers can write their own descriptions. Auctions are a different matter.

Knowing that FF #5 I would clearly state the seller (Not Josh) is drinking some really good kool aid in stating that it's a 9.2 and toughly graded. If it wasn't your book than I was wrong in stating you wrote that description.

And since Comiclink has quite a few "consignors" who are writing some very optimistic descriptions in order to make money I stand by my Kool aid comment that people want to believe what they want when they buy/sell something.

As far as shooting blanks go I do have your email to Miles when I bought his collection. Very nice comments I must say and I guess I pulled the wool over his eyes when I bought it.

Brian, the book in question when the discussion started was an FF #5 CGC 8.5 that was touted to look like a 9.2 and Bob said he had seen the book and was not in any way a 9.2.

Then he began to talk about pressing/comiclink/kool aid.

What else is anyone going to get from Bob's posts other than that he is implying that the seller is being dishonest in trying to get more money for a book because there is an implication of possibly pressing to book into a higher grade?

R.

"Late bronze ASM's in 9.8 were going for double GPA, and 9.6's are the "new 9.8s" as people give up on getting a 9.8 and are settling for a 9.6, driving the 9.6 prices higher."

The only thing I can even think to say in reply to this is: Why.

I don't see late bronze age as being that desirable, personaly. Ugh, people.

The real term is Pump and Dump.

If somebody is very enthusiatic about a book with a high price I ask a question if they will buy it back for the price they are selling it at in a few years. Listen to some of those responses.

There are some books that are clearly books I want back, others are referred to as boat anchors and we celebrate when they leave port.

Bob, first off I knew you bought the collection. It's the first thing I said to Louise when I got home at 3 am that night and saw his email. Now mind you I was a little cheery when I wrote the email but I didn't say anything dishonest or incorrect...it was just uncensored.

2nd of all I carbon copied the email to everyone so it's not a secret. I think I must have sent it to 20 people. Brent Moeshlin, Dan Cusimano..heck I may have even sent it to my mom.

3rd if you read the email you'll see that I was criticizing Miles for lying, not for selling the collection.

He kept stringing everyone along for a list and description with constant emails like, "coming right up" and then a few days later told everyone the collection was sold.

I learned several things from this.

1) Miles lies. A lot. He also still buys and sells books even though he said he was out of this hobby for good.

2) Honesty does not always win.

3) You are a sneaky bugger.

:roflmao:

R.

2nd of all I carbon copied the email to everyone so it's not a secret. I think I must have sent it to 20 people. Brent Moeshlin, Dan Cusimano..heck I may have even sent it to my mom.

Just so there is no misunderstanding the email was cc'd to everyone that Miles had on his mailing list and everyone that was looking at buying into the collection and many sent replies regarding Mile's dishonest behavior and selling tactics...so it was not a secret to anyone.

Roy, so basically this is the same guy that wrote in our other thread that he doesn't badmouth somebody? Well, stating that I pulled the wool over Miles eyes sort of comes off as badmouthing, no? Sneaky? What's sneaky about calling a person, making an appointment and buying a collection?

Honesty does not always win? I don't see what I did as being dishonest.

Are you sure your inspiration is coming from above? Because what I did was not dishonest at all.